Thread: How do I disable auto attack?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hay hay s2 whant to keep the same similar to dota but yet difrent.

the auto attack is part of wc3's dota map and guess whatn i guess they whant to keep it end of story kk gbttvm

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DenyTheTruth View Post
    Before we get started, I want to remind everyone that I am not an employee of S2 or an S2 Staff. I will cite as many facts as I can, but I am also stating my opinion.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. This is not a bug. This is intended and it is how all RTS games have been coded since as long as I can remember. Some games have the option to turn it off, but this is not one of them and likely never will be.

Secondly, your financial predictions are based on your own personal opinion. I know, for a fact, that many people will buy this game. Why? They already have. The people who have not pre-ordered (myself included) have many various reasons. You have no idea the percentage of users that are refraining because of this sole "flaw". Yourself excluded, I have not heard of anyone say they wouldn't buy simply because of this. They may be frustrated, but they didn't say they wouldn't buy.

On to the important stuff:
    As a consumer, it is your choice to buy or not buy something based on your enjoyment. That is arguably the most powerful tool a consumer has to show their opinion. However, you must realize a few things. First of all, not buying something until it gets changed is not a valid argument. The reason for this is that you are not contributing money in order to make that change. That change costs money. There are thousands of people who have paid to have it the way it is and changing it will alienate them to fit your one will.

By buying it, you become a customer instead of a consumer. As a customer, they are more apt to listen to you. They want to keep your business and they will try harder to do so. You should buy the game and ask them to make the change for you. Make a poll. See how many people want it the other way.

You are correct. However, this is not a bug. See above.

The major downfall of melee heroes is that they have to get close to deal damage while ranged heroes are generally take more damage if they do get hit. It's the trade-off. You chose to play a melee hero, you should expect to take damage, and you should compensate for that.

As far as your scenario, there is no hero in the game that can stand back far enough to not take damage from a tower while also damaging the tower. This would break the balance of the game. I guarantee you that those ranged heroes purposefully positioned themselves where they did to take the least amount of shots from the tower (as a tower will often hit creeps before heroes).

You may be new, and you may not understand the mechanics of the game, but I assure you that there is a control to disable auto-attacks. It is called "hold". Press H (or remap the command to something easier, like the spacebar) and press it when you do not want to auto-attack. This will also mean you cannot move but you can't move while attacking anyway so that's not a problem. Move to where you want to go, press hold, move to where you want to go, press hold. Hit when you want. It really, really isn't difficult.

This is undoubtedly one of the hardest games I've ever played. I've been playing off and on for almost 5 years now and I'm still not a pro. I understand your pain and I do empathize with your stance but the fact remains that without the auto-attack ability, heroes would not attack when they are near other heroes or creeps.

Do you know how incredibly difficult it would be if someone came out of invisibility or was obscured and so you didn't start attacking them or you had to react and attack them manually?

I assure you that your already difficult choice of a hero would be much harder to play if you had to manually select who you wanted to attack each time.

@Everyone: I am leaving this thread open so you can discuss whether or not the auto-attack should have a "disable" option but I'm pretty sure that I've explained exactly why that is not only unfeasible but ridiculous.

Please keep this thread on topic or let it die. Flaming, trolling, mocking, etc by any post following this one, regardless of poster, will warrant a severe punishment.
    you got trolled so hard

Account Icon
    good god, press H... if we were out in the wilderness you would be the first person eaten by bears.

guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by FORMULA409 View Post
    you got trolled so hard
    I disagree. Even if OP isn't serious, discussion about the feature is still valid.

Personally I love it how H stops both movement and attack, but sometimes, as already mentioned, it would be nice to be able to attack while forcedly standing still.

Account Icon
    This game isn't an RTS and having a hero automatically run up to whatever if you take your hand off the mouse to get a drink of water is in no way beneficial to the gamer. Why not remove it? People that play this game can be so myopic.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianetics View Post
    This game isn't an RTS and having a hero automatically run up to whatever if you take your hand off the mouse to get a drink of water is in no way beneficial to the gamer. Why not remove it? People that play this game can be so myopic.
    Neither is having to press attack to attack a creep, or press my hotkeys to cast spells or items, yet I still have to do that. The point is that so long as there is a point in the game where you require your hero to do one of two things, there should be a command to tell the hero what to do. If I wanted my hero to stand around and be attacked by creeps without returning attacks without my express command, then I shall press the button to do so. However, more often than not, I do wish for this to happen and as such I am pleased to have this feature in it.

Not changing a part of the game in accordance with what would seem like a vast majority of the player-base is far from myopic, in fact it is downright unreasonable or even arrogant to demand the opposite.

I will try it too (I tried it, but it didnt work like War3)
    Galneryus - One Of The Best Power Metal Bands Ever!

THE BLINK SCHOOL - Tips for Blink Spells

its simply stupid to have auto attacking be the default behavior. Especially considering just how much its discouraged in the early game.

Account Icon
    rebind h to mouse 3

problem solved

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by AxisKnight View Post
    its simply stupid to have auto attacking be the default behavior. Especially considering just how much its discouraged in the early game.
    In early game, yes.

In late game, where there are big battles and you are too busy casting spells/paying attention to one or two to worry about that guy that popped out of stealth to hit you. Auto attack is a good feature. It's just not good early game.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

DenyTheTruth is not an employee of S2. All views in the above post are that of the poster and not that of S2 Games unless otherwise stated.

Account Icon
    This a joke? Just move around with right click, which also puts you in a position to react quickly to a gank or anything that might happen.

Account Icon
    There have been several complaints regarding this thread. I have given out more infractions for this thread alone than all of the other threads on TG combined.

Closing thread.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

DenyTheTruth is not an employee of S2. All views in the above post are that of the poster and not that of S2 Games unless otherwise stated.