But, I still really like the animations, graphics and character design of HoN.
Because, Hat Truck, anyone with some intelligence and a history of gaming can grasp the nature of balance across the board. S2 has done so many pathetic implementations that its sickening.
Nomes got hundreds under his belt
-chalice-then says 'its balanced because it gives every hero the same mana back'
-designing tanky heroes that also have insane amounts of damage and farming potential just from passives----> zephyr for one
-quoted regarding SoulStealer that 'no hero should be able to do that amount of damage'
-this completely disregards the most fundamental principal of hero design and importance in efficieny which is HERO POSITIONING ABILITY, the retard doesnt realise you need 6k of items to guarantee it to be successful, and your still placing yourself in the worst positioning possible
-my friend MaDDoX used to work with Nome and has given similiar comments on how clueless the guy is, balances off numbers instead of core game fundamentals like positioning and disables
Man I could go ooooooooonnn and oooooooonnn about how little s2 or their lead designers know about game mechanics but i cbf.
In short, Dota does not contain such retard designs of items and heroes.
Still, hats off to s2 for great visuals, music, shop and such. Still an enjoyable game, just not in terms of the smaller more important details such as hero balance and design.
Team POTM BOTTOM with Sneyking, waytoosexy and fogged just deafeated reformed clg 2:1 xD
Cool, thanks for the explanations guys. I pretty much feel the same way, but I left HoN for those reasons LONG before DotA came out. The HoN game designers are laughable. The balance is atrocious comparatively. Still, wanted to see others reasons for leaving as well.
HoN is one of those games I'll play for like a whole afternoon once every 4 months, just to see if anything has changed.
It never does.
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=246051 My workshop (currently 25 models)
I think clg is better of without Loda, nowadays he's only an average player. Almost everytime they got him a carry he did pretty badly and in the role he was playing most games he's easily replacable. And Pajkatt is a way better carry anyways, so no need for Loda in this team. I dont see him doing well in Zenith either.
Oh fk I think I still have 3 dota 2 invites. Hat you need one? anyone?
ok so i will tell you guys why i left HoN for DotA 2, just my experience with both games.
I played HoN since early Closed Beta ~3 years ago, at first it was great, i switched from DotA to HoN and it was an improvement of everything, gameplay, graphics, music, effects and so on. But at some point S2 simply forgot why HoN was great. I had tons of fun in HoN, the 30$ was well spent, i had ~ 2500 games in Beta and i have ~ 2000 now after release.
Let's make a little research and see the differences between the two games :
- Nice graphics
- Nice music
- Ranking status, ofc i personally don't like it because of the obvious flaws (and i was/am 1850+ mmr player)
- Great engine
- Great UI
- Very fast stats search for everyone
- Clan/Guild system
- VERY Bad hero concepts
- VERY Bad hero balance
- Almost every single hero that S2 created is 2 seconds combo = dead hero
- Extreme Tank heroes that are also THE BEST ****ING CARRYS IN GAME.
- S2 Staff changes the heroes from day to day
- Very poor Voice Acting on any hero
- Free 2 Play options are ****ing disgusting.
- Every patch they create on every single Friday has at least 1 gamebreaking BUG and servers go down for hours.
- After the gamebreaking BUG was discovered it takes them at least 2-3 weeks to fix them, and Ban ppls for using them. Tho they can patch it in under few hours, that shows total 0 respect for the community
- S2 doesn't care at all for their Competitive Scene.
DotA 2 :
- Nice graphics once you get used to them, they are not bad at all, at fist they look cartoonish but they are not.
- Dark Theme map
- Music is awsome
- 2x Heroes from DotA 2 (any of them) have more/better voice lines then all 103 HoN heroes combined.
- Voice acting is amazing, you never get tired of the hero, it never gets booring to listen to them. It's just outstanding.
- Original DotA heroes
- More skill wise orientated
- Heroes wont get nerfed just cuz a Valve member was raped by a "insert name here" hero.
- Holy mother of God the Competitive Scene is huge
- It will be Free 2 Play from the first day of launch and you will be able to play ALL Mods and ALL Heroes.
- The game is not noob friendly
- And there are a lot more. You just have to try the game to see it.
- Matchmaking finds games fast, under 0:20 seconds.
- Rune at 0:00, Only in HoN i could see *****s cry over OMG I AM SO BAD I GOT KILLED AT RUNE OMGGGGOMG, tho i can bet they were Americans
- Peoples actually COMUNICATES in game, very few crybabys
- Russians that can play on US/EU servers
- No Ranking system whatsoever
- Only a few heroes from all the DotA ones
- Leavers, yeah, once every 4-5 games you will get a leaver. But since they dont punish leavers right now, i guess it's ok.
- Bad UI compared to HoN
- I cant think of more, ofc there are some more but right now my head is empty.
Anyway, the thing is i got tired to see **** heroes made by S2, heroes like Gemini that were so ****ing OP even my mother asked me "Is that some kind of god in this game?" and they kept him like that for 1 month, ONE MONTH. Bugs like Sand + Rampage that was kept for almost 2 weeks, Legio charge bug that was not changed untill 1 week and so many more.
HoN focuses on a game where fights end in less then 5 seconds, it's more noob friendly.
Changes like Chronos's ulti, when they made ally move in his ulti so stupid idiots wont trap for good their team m8. Nerfs over nervs on Sand Wraith then buff him again then nerf him again then buff him again and once more they nerfed him and then buffed him again, nerf on Soul Stealer one of the most fun and hard heroes to play.
Many other nerfs and buffs again and so on that were ****ing pathetic.
And for ppls that cry about "being trapped" in dota2 trees or cliff's, as i said the game is not noob friendly like HoN, You actually have to carry a TP with you all time, and not because of that, in my ~340 DotA 2 games i have NEVER, i say again NEVER got trapped on a cliff or tree.
And for example the fact that S2 had a SOUND problem for almost 1 full year for Linux/Mac/Win 32 bit and they didn't care at all to fix it and simply blamed Microsoft for that. Ppls actually had to play with no sound at all. The fact that i have a PC that is worth ~3000 $ and HoN has problems with running on my PC makes me wanna puke, when i try to Quit from HoN, my 16 GB DDR3 and AMD FX-8150 processor takes almost 1-2 minutes to recover its just lol.
TL ; DR
-The matchmaking doesnt find games so fast..for me it takes like 5 min, even when i choose AP (SD is the better mode or RD)
-There is a punishment for leavers , they are put in a low priority queue , longer queues.
Of course is a beta...and i think it will improve
Stolen from reddit:
New hero pick screen:
Comparison of old to new grid views:
Last edited by Ryuusan; 05-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Please check out my Pandora's Box item idea and let me know what you think!
Ogre Magi's voice acting is...soooo good
Ogre Magi is amazing.
New hero select is terrible.
New UI would be fine if the background image wasn't completely clashing.
The grid hero card system isn't too bad its just a step in the wrong direction.
I got one last Dota 2 invite left. And I want to trade it for a game on steam.
The games I am looking to trade,
-Dara Jammers: FastForward
PM me if you want to trade.