Thread: HoN Commentaries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    omg... You talk so fast and rush up when almost nothing happens. It's so annoying and chaotic. Please, if you're going to make more of these then take a deep breath and slow down.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenkin View Post
    omg... You talk so fast and rush up when almost nothing happens. It's so annoying and chaotic. Please, if you're going to make more of these then take a deep breath and slow down.
    Frankly I found it was necessary to talk at that speed simply to ensure that in the early game I can describe everything that's happening and during team fights. I'd agree that I need to get better control over what I say, as I can confuse myself and say unnecessary things (such as player names), but slowing down is likely to cause more harm than good; as I would simply have to speed up again for teamfights.

I can imagine you're thinking "you could just speed up and slow down as the action dictates" but (as well as it being something that I find extremely difficult), that can cause an even more annoying listening experience (particularly if I am modulating constantly in anticipation of events that then do not occur).

I do try to keep the really fast 'n' loud stuff for the more exciting events (team fights, good ganks).

Account Icon
    where do you get replays and how do you watch them?

Account Icon
    Don't undermine yourself 'panda added today apparently' - no not apparently, a fact.

Account Icon
    Just watched the third video. Didnt expect much and were just gonna check out a min or two but I was impressed and entertained enough to watch the whole thing.
    I agree with the sometimes unnecessary camera movement but overall very enjoyable.
    You have a good voice for it and I had no problem at all with any too fast or chaotic talk when lots of stuff was happening (and my first language is not english btw). Good job!

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by daywiss View Post
    where do you get replays and how do you watch them?
    It's not replays, this is just me talking while I record some friends of mine playing using fraps. I'm in a spectator slot, thus the blaming of me for the loss in video ... either 1 or 2.

@schneeb - that would be one of the occasions I need to stall for time for my brain to catch up :P

@bennet - Glad I kept your attention! Looks like the camera movement is becoming the main complaint, I'll try and fix that next time I record (looking like it might be tomorrow).

Account Icon
    what program did you use to capture and/or edit, and also what codec, resolution settings? how did you capture sound or was that automatic?

Account Icon
    what program did you use to capture and/or edit, and also what codec, resolution settings? how did you capture sound or was that automatic?
    Fraps recorded raw footage at 512*384 (half of my normal gaming resolution of 1024*768). This was in several files that I then put together in Adobe Premiere and outputted using a codec caaaalled... Huffyuv. I then used MediaCoder to turn it into a H.263 AVI file.

Fraps auto-recorded the sound once I set my microphone to be the windows default.

Account Icon
    thanks, ill have to take a look at fraps again. did it automatically split up the files for you? and how big was the total size(raw footage) of one video, like a 40 minute game or whatever?

Account Icon
    thanks, ill have to take a look at fraps again. did it automatically split up the files for you? and how big was the total size(raw footage) of one video, like a 40 minute game or whatever?
    For some reason each recording was split into 7 minute chunks, but that's easily fixed. For me 40 minutes ran around 20 gigabytes of raw footage (with a encoded size of around 200). Higher resolutions will be more, of course.

Account Icon
    It was good, just try to keep the camera in one place for more than .2 secs, a little smother movement would be nice

Desirable

Account Icon
    Decency : Psyonic, quick question if you don't mind: what programs are you using to dual cast with someone?
    PsyoniC : Well I am working on a new system
    PsyoniC : at the moment but
    PsyoniC : I use Ventrilo and VHMultiCam
    PsyoniC : and for any special videos, I use adobe after effects
    PsyoniC : we're switching to skype soon though, it's supposed to have less lag

PsyoniC : Mics dont matter it's the soundcards that matter. better soundcards = better quality of sound.
    PsyoniC : good mics DO help though, but in the end it's all about the cards

PsyoniC : We use VHMultiCam and Adboe Flash Media Live Encoder 3
    PsyoniC : the MultiCam allows me to set up several images or videos
    PsyoniC : plus an area of my desktop to stream
    PsyoniC : and i can easily click a button to select what I want to show
    PsyoniC : the show is never pre-recorded
    PsyoniC : we do it live

PsyoniC : We use Jtv because it allowed us more options in how to present our show
    PsyoniC : than livestream
    PsyoniC : They said hey we have a gaming site going up soon and we love starcraft
    PsyoniC : we want to promote SC
    PsyoniC : so we said cool we'll start inviting people
    DarkSider : jtv sucks when they put the limit on
    PsyoniC : We won't have a limit on our show
    Hope that helps, this is another of the guys that does multi-casts in StarCraft. It would be pretty cool to have live casts of games from different commentators on sites like jtv or Livestream.

The funny thing is, I had this conversation with him in a StarCraft livestream with 170+ people watching a practice game by a top US player. If HoN has that kind of a community, it would be awesome.
    Last edited by Decency; 10-05-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Account Icon
    I'll have to take a look at VHMultiCam and see if I can set something up. Thanks man.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    really, excellent. Keep on the good work!

Account Icon
    Thumbs up!

Account Icon
    I appreciate you putting work into these to add to the community, but there are a few things really wrong with them.

The camera is way too jerky as you already mentioned, you really need to work on your map awareness... you are missing so many kills while watching heroes sit around and kill creeps. You should also give summaries of items at various times, as well as some more insightful comments other than just a summary of what is currently happening.
    Looking for competitive Heroes of Newerth matches, stats and live streams? Check out http://honmatch.com. A site dedicated to the latest matches and replays from all your favourite professional players. You can even watch the best players live on our streaming page: http://honmatch.com/streams

Account Icon
    Those are cool, only two suggestions really:
    1) Offer shoutcasts for clan scrims, that would get you more quality footage.
    2) Commentate more games! Your casts are very good, the more you do the better they will become imo.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosSmurf View Post
    For some reason each recording was split into 7 minute chunks, but that's easily fixed. For me 40 minutes ran around 20 gigabytes of raw footage (with a encoded size of around 200). Higher resolutions will be more, of course.
    This is because FRAPS is using an old variant of the AVI container which only supports up to 2^32 bytes (4 GiB).

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    You should also give summaries of items at various times, as well as some more insightful comments other than just a summary of what is currently happening.
    What kind of insightfulness are we looking for here? Where heroes are going with items? Which side is currently the winner? What the losing side will have to do to come back? I'm truly unsure of what people want to hear, and would like to know. Once I do I can focus on learning about that and fit it into my casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Enliven View Post
    Those are cool, only two suggestions really:
    1) Offer shoutcasts for clan scrims, that would get you more quality footage.
    2) Commentate more games! Your casts are very good, the more you do the better they will become imo.
    1) If anyone wants me to commentate on a scrim or game they're in, feel free to PM me on IRC or on here.
    2) Yes, sorry, I was a little busy yesterday. Hoping to get two games done today (though due to upload and encode times, they may not be up for a while yet).

Quote Originally Posted by binbo View Post
    This is because FRAPS is using an old variant of the AVI container which only supports up to 2^32 bytes (4 GiB).
    Ah, there you go.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosSmurf View Post
    1) If anyone wants me to commentate on a scrim or game they're in, feel free to PM me on IRC or on here.
    Yes Plz!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast