Thread: Odd abilities usages

Odd abilities usages

So, I watch a lot of competitive games, usually through Honcast and I've noticed a few odd things I see some competitive players doing every now and then.

One that comes to mind right away is N0tail from MSI when he's playing Torturer. I noticed during one or two casts where I seen him playing Torturer that he would be running away with low HP (sub-20%) and with no heroes or creeps anywhere near him he would turn on his ultimate, let it tick for 1 or 2 pulses and then turn it off. I'm not sure why he is doing this and was wondering if maybe there is something that I missed that the ult actually does or if the range is larger than I originally thought (I seemed to think it was pretty close to melee range.) Before anybody asks, I am sure he does not have it activated before he begins running away (e.g. when he goes in and is fighting.) He definitely waited until he was running away and not (I think,) within range before turning it on, letting it tick and then turning it off.

I've seen a few other instances like this with other competitive players and other heroes with certain abilities. Any help?

wat??

Account Icon
    What do you mean?
    I fear Nuffing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Style View Post
    It's not the heroes that resemble dota heroes but the people who would like them to. People always have the desire to simplify the world around them to something they can easily comprehend and deal with. It's a basic instinct that helps us preserve our capability to act in situations we are not familiar with. A new hero looking weird and scary? Compare it to a hero you know and you get a vague idea on how to deal with it. It does not matter what the actual hero is like - at least one of his features will resemble something from somewhere else (be it from DotA, HoN, LoL, Diablo, WoW, anything) and people will try to identify the unknown with the familiar.

One of two reasons. He thought there was a low-hp invis character nearby or he has a NomesWisdom which would allow him to turn the ulti on/off and gain HP each time he does so. Basically converts your mana to HP at a somewhat bad exchange rate.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Treslo View Post
    One of two reasons. He thought there was a low-hp invis character nearby or he has a NomesWisdom which would allow him to turn the ulti on/off and gain HP each time he does so. Basically converts your mana to HP at a somewhat bad exchange rate.
    ^ qft
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.
    ~Steven Wright

I am a mentor at Epoch.
    Want to learn in a environment which does not troll you for your questions?
    Want to be able to ask 1900+ players their insight on your situations? www.projectepoch.com/forums/
    Join us and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Treslo View Post
    Ok, thank you. I'm thinking the Nome's Wisdom one may be it, as I don't remember there being any invis heroes nearby/in the game. I do remember noticing that he did not seem to lose as much HP from auto attacks while doing it, which could account for losing HP to an attack but gaining some back from Nome's.

Thanks a lot.

wat??

To OP i think the reason glad is calling you bad in your sig is because the bash, lifesteal, and armor reduction from your items dont stack

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    To OP i think the reason glad is calling you bad in your sig is because the bash, lifesteal, and armor reduction from your items dont stack
    O.o

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    To you i think the reason I'm calling you bad is because the bash stacks with lifesteal / armor reduction from your items