Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: Silhouette Guide

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silhouette Silhouette Guide

Yukari here, it's 4 a.m. in the morning, and I need a break from studying for exams. The first thing on my procrastination list agenda is a quick and dirty guide to Silhouette. Don't expect a grandiose picture guide, because I simply do not have the time to write one. Without further ado: From the creators of HoN Fundementals, I, Yukari, am here once again to grace you all with my presence and insight. You should feel honored.

Let's start with the basics: What exactly is Silhouette's role?

Simply put, Silhouette (who I will address as Sil), is a 600 ranged agility semi-carry. Now, I'm a little afraid of people instapicking her; those who have been here since beta would remember the infamous and traumatizing Choose-wisSCOUT!

In other words, while it may be tempting to Bind an instant pick key to the newest ninja carry, don't expect to stomp a game on your first try. On a tryhard meter, I give her an 8/10, meaning that it will take a lot of effort before it pays off.
    I'm going to skip the generalized skill descriptions, as I trust that most of you will have looked and played around with her in practice before heading out to the battlefield, so I'm moving right to what everyone is looking for. The answer to the following questions: "How do I skill sil?" and "What do I get on her?" Oh, and before I forget, she can solo mid just fine, as well as sidelane.

I will remind you of a very important lesson: Do not pick your first skill until you see who you are laning against. Sil is a very fragile hero with mediocre starting HP and str gain. This leaves her to be very squishy, especially during early-mid game. If you are against a kill lane, I suggest taking Tree Grapple at level 1. This long range multi-utility skill is your one point wonder. It gets you out of trouble quickly and effectively. W, click, W and you are out. It has a constant range at all levels, and a long one at that. If you are against a lane with mediocre presence, feel free to take Relentless Salvo at level 1, for a quick advantage. Note: While Tree Grapple is your only true disable, I advise against maxing it before Death Lotus and Relentless Salvo, because the opportunity cost here is too great.

From a quick glance at her skills, your first instinct should be to max Relentless Salvo, and you would be correct. Relentless Salvo is great throughout the game, it can be used to help secure last hits on creeps, as well as give you an edge in harassing your opponents right from the get go. RS is your bread and butter skill, it offers a good deal of burst damage as well as a substantial increase to your DPS. Don't underestimate it if you are playing as, or against Sil. Another important aspect (Which pudding forgot to mention in her video), is that the burst from RS has a cooldown, which scales downwards. This means you can't just Q, W, and throw 4 quick shurikens at an opponent. More importantly, this means RS scales in terms of synergy with other skills, even if your Q and W are at level 1.

Now, for her ultimate ability: Shadow. Sil's Shadow does not do very much damage at level 1, so unless you have special uses for the map control (because the instant swap is amazing), I would advise against skilling it at 6 if you are sidelaning. More explanation below on her level 1 ult. However, as the game progresses, Shadow becomes a force to be reckoned with. The instant swap is just 1 click away from a 5 man gank, a free scout, a great boost to DPS, and much much more that I'm just too lazy to list.

So what are my recommendations for a side-lane Sil? Depening on the situations, it should be similar to one of the following.

A) [

You don't really need your ultimate at level 6. It doesn't do very much damage, plus it's a huge strain on your manapool with a relatively long cooldown. Of course, feel free to take it if you find that you are being ganked a lot.

B)

This is the burst build. If you are able to hit them with Death Lotus, following up with a few auto attacks, your opponent will almost immediately drop below 50% hp, especially at low levels. Again, feel free to take your ult if the flow of the game permits.

My recommendations for a solo-mid Sil

A)

While you may not want to take Shadow early on in the side lanes, in mid it's absolutely perfect. Remember old Fayde ultimate? You can effectively be at two places at once. Hello perfect rune control, and 0-opportunity cost ganks. Simply allow your illusion to wander in from the flank, swap, and rape.

Moving on to item builds:

I personally like the uckBoots: uckBoots::MinorTotem: :MinorTotem: :RunesOfTheBlight: :HealthPotion: start for almost every occasion. Naturally you should improvise against for example, a solo TB. The above is just a general-purpose build.

It's very obvious to you after your first game that Sil has low starting health and mana. Such is the weakness of a ninja. If you are solo mid, I highly recommend a :Bottle:. With your shadow helping your rune control and general freedom to gank, it's a core pick-up for solo mids. Not to mention for the low cost of mana (numbers wise, not percentage wise) you can dish out some nasty damage to your opponent. Pick up a :PowerSupply: if you are in the side lanes, even a :chal: if you are getting a decent farm (though I personally dislike chalice on her, because I personally do not feel that the trade off between her low health pool and mana is very beneficial to your lane stay powers.) Proceed to pick up an :IronShield: if you feel the need to negate some damage, but work towards your early :EnhancedMarchers:. A sudden spike in damage and maneuverability immediately pushes Sil up the food chain. :Steamboots: can work as well, but I feel that enhanced marchers are a superior choice, as enhanced marchers really allows you to abuse Sil's strong earlygame, as opposed to a more slow/less kiting boots.

It should also be very obvious that Sil just melts in nukes and focus, especially in the mid-game. To prevent yourself from being totally useless, I would immediately pick up a :HelmOfTheBlackLegio after phase. You have enough burst, get some eHP for the love of god. (Yes, I'm aware of the ranged-HotBL haters, but if you find a build that works for you, by all means go for it.) With this pickup, you should find that you can solo any hero around the same level, assuming that you have not fallen behind on farm already. If you picked up a Chalice, (health tube) HotBL is a great item to give you the regen that you need to sustain it. Also, with the help of HotBL and the passive Death Lotus, you can easily stack jungle camps and clear them out while tanking them at melee range.

Your next item should be one of the two: :HackNSlash: (WTB Frostburn icon) or :NullfireBlade:. Both of these items acts as a soft disable that allows you to get multiple hits on an enemy as he escapes. Sil's Tree Grapple alone is not very effective in helping you finish off fleeing enemies. Frostburn also adds some nice HP as well as attack speed, while nullfire provides an overall higher DPS, with a multi-utility purge. Feel free to split the Frostburn into :GeometersBane:/:FrostwolfsSkull: should you go this route, and if you went with the nullfire, I suggest a Geo next. 4 Sils charging at you is very very intimidating, as it should be.

For your luxury, I personally suggest :Wingbow: (currently the best item that scales with Geobane and illusions, Sil is the only hero with a strong, reliable illusion thus far) or a :SavageMace:, which is a great DPS item in general. Obviously, feel free to stick a :ShrunkenHead: somewhere in between HotBL and luxury if you need it. :ChargedHammer: isn't a bad pick up either, as it offers great attack speed which synthesizes very nicely with Relentless Salvo, added with the fact that you have many agility/IAS items already, the chain-lightning is very lethal. It's also fun to play mind games on enemies by using the Charged Hammer buff on your Shadow.

After words:

Looking back, this is a huge wall of text. But if you really want to play Sil correctly from the get-go, it's a worthy investment of your time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I may decide to stick it in an F.A.Q .somewhere below.

Remember guys, every build is situational. Some are just more situational than others. Special thanks to Viole for a ton of help on polishing this from a wall of text, I suggest you checking out her up-to-date juking guide, which can be found here.

Remember TG, Yukari is watching you.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    love it, Yukari is my hero

._. nahhhhh

G☆

stupid rushed idiotic guide

It's not that rushed, he tested it in SBT...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    GoodJob :P

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightoil View Post
    Somebody just lost a game with Silo by the looks of it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Cool guide there.Silhouette looks like a hero can do very well at solo laning,but it looks like she doesnt have much gank potencial considering we dont max out Dark Lotus first, even we do, its a skill you can aim to hit only 1 hero for avarage damage.So it looks like :EnhancedMarchers: is a must on her allows giving attack-move dps combined with her passive.

And a question, is Attack Modifiers apply to her shadow?If it does, you can dps 2 heroes with a :FrostwolfsSkull: with only commanding right click on 2 micro.

Also as recommended build i say :RestorationStone: for playing Spider-Man with Tree Grapple.
    Last edited by `Headache; 04-22-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    Got S2?

seems like a great guide I'll try it out

and lol @ the last line
    Quote Originally Posted by imSUCK View Post
    wards are useless, they do no damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuN View Post
    Ya he's getting rusty, bad plays overall, in pub games and same on scrims. Not sure what's happening. Could be drugs.
    chu?

Amen

So you know the hero inside out after playing it for years?

Bro, it just got released don't hate on someone's guide if you probably haven't even played the hero yet.

Pretty sure Yukari is a SBT(?) and has probably played the hero for a while now.

stupid rushed comment.

but yeah a bit rushed guide based on no skills in the start, but well it is a directional guide I suppose.

Match 37139356

Just for shits and gigs.

I dont mean to bash but can you explain the passive leveling for miding.

I can uderstand why its good in a lane but in mid???

Im baffled. You wont punch creeps and push the lane will you?? The tree grapple is no joke as it gives 200 damage and 2.5 sec stun on lvl 4.

I think you should go

2-1-1-2-1-2-1-2-4-3-4-3-3-3-stats... etc

3rd ability will give you 0 burst damage if you level mid and i dont see in what situation it can be useful. If your vs a melee 1st one is better. And you wont easily charge a ranged hero that fast.

Can you please explain???
    My custom map -> Pacman HoN Style

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The 3rd ability improves harass (and lasthitting), and it gives you a lot of burst. Close to max attack speed for 2 attacks that hit for 15/30 are nothing to laugh at. It also proccs off your ultimate and off of the swap part of it. It also proccs of the tree grapple cast and then proccs off of the pull.

Edit: I'd also very much consider an early Nullstone on her, instead of the HotBL, since she can very much use the Manaregen.
    Last edited by Skyve; 04-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Could you put a spoiler in for a more detailed view on the skills? I don't know how they scale in dmg/cooldowns yet and I can't check that out now =)
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=102574 - Pebbles' Combo Sequence: The Mystery Unraveled
    The Gentlemen's Club information here!
    Feel free to join our channel: /join clan TheGentlemensClub

Quote Originally Posted by FlameStick View Post
    I dont mean to bash but can you explain the passive leveling for miding.

I can uderstand why its good in a lane but in mid???

Im baffled. You wont punch creeps and push the lane will you?? The tree grapple is no joke as it gives 200 damage and 2.5 sec stun on lvl 4.

I think you should go

2-1-1-2-1-2-1-2-4-3-4-3-3-3-stats... etc

3rd ability will give you 0 burst damage if you level mid and i dont see in what situation it can be useful. If your vs a melee 1st one is better. And you wont easily charge a ranged hero that fast.

Can you please explain???
    Yes, simply put, Sil's mana pool is below acceptable to do the 1/2 build. You will burn through at least 70% of your mana with a single q/w combo, then you are left with a subpar wind-up and a below-average physical damage, so in other words you are left with as much lane presence as a 0 mana glacius.

Maxing E means that the more hits you trade with your opposition, the better, and by maxing E, you will have a low Q and W, and as the manacost on Q and W scales, you can abuse the low manacost to trigger the flurry on Relentless Salvo. TBH I think that you are underestimating the DPS gained from salvo.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    All the haters in this thread fail and doesn't know Yukari is an SBT.

Really now...

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Also available by emailing support@heroesofnewerth.com!

Account Icon
    <3

guide works

2 times in a row i got enemy team to concede D: before i even started pew pewing correctly (4-0-6 both time)

lol at the escape potential of hero D:

Tbh I love this hero