Toggle Snow

Thread: How to get more money with HoN

How to get more money with HoN

I love this game and I know S2 is a company and the employees like to be paid to work on it. And I want them to work more on it so we get new heroes and items and other stuff as time goes by. So I thought about ways for S2 to get money.

I would be glad to pay a monthly fee to have better forum moderation or faster response of GMs (maybe even mid game) to grieving and stuff. BUT I know that not everybody wants this.

On the other hand a shrinking user base (because people won't pay a monthly fee) is the exact opposite of what is good for the game. More users attract more sponsors (->more tournaments -> better competitive scene), make more games resulting in lower queue times, advertise the game more to their friends etc. etc. etc. Making the game free to play would help here, but would also attract troll accounts and more griefing and stuff.

So why not combine them?

Make F2P copper accounts, 30$ buy silver accounts and silver+account+"5$/month" gold accounts. Copper accounts generate copper coins while playing, silver accounts generate silver coins, gold accounts generate gold coins. 1 week of silver account may also be bought by 500 copper coins, 1 week of gold account may also be bought by 500 silver coins.

Only match downwards if wanted (a gold may chose to get matched with gold and/or silver and/or copper, a copper only may chose to get matched with anything...you get it). Give the higher tiers the possibility to block whispers from lower tiers (so noone can goldspam) with exception to your friends list (so you can still talk with your friends).

Give the gold players a golden (yellow) name in the forums/game, the silver a white (as is now) and the copper a redish brown name (and maybe block them from posting in the forums or make a special section for them to post in).

And maybe favor gold players over silver players over copper players in the queue for tickets and MMR.

You can still get anything by playing (gather 500 coins for a week) and having the possibility to get a steady income would benefit the company, tournament cash etc. while increasing the player pool would greatly benefit the casters, the esport appearance, sponsors, the players etc. etc. etc.
    I stopped playing. First I did this, then I got the idea to let everyone who wants to boycot EA just not play every even calendar day, so S2 can see in their player numbers how many boycot EA. S2 deleted the thread, deleted my sig and now, I just don't play anymore.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame...
    oh my god this monthly fee b-sh*t again...

Please go die.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    get a job and stop worrying about s2.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofarin View Post
    I love this game and I know S2 is a company and the employees like to be paid to work on it. And I want them to work more on it so we get new heroes and items and other stuff as time goes by. So I thought about ways for S2 to get money.

I would be glad to pay a monthly fee to have better forum moderation or faster response of GMs (maybe even mid game) to grieving and stuff. BUT I know that not everybody wants this.

On the other hand a shrinking user base (because people won't pay a monthly fee) is the exact opposite of what is good for the game. More users attract more sponsors (->more tournaments -> better competitive scene), make more games resulting in lower queue times, advertise the game more to their friends etc. etc. etc. Making the game free to play would help here, but would also attract troll accounts and more griefing and stuff.

So why not combine them?

Make F2P copper accounts, 30$ buy silver accounts and silver+account+"5$/month" gold accounts. Copper accounts generate copper coins while playing, silver accounts generate silver coins, gold accounts generate gold coins. 1 week of silver account may also be bought by 500 copper coins, 1 week of gold account may also be bought by 500 silver coins.

Only match downwards if wanted (a gold may chose to get matched with gold and/or silver and/or copper, a copper only may chose to get matched with anything...you get it). Give the higher tiers the possibility to block whispers from lower tiers (so noone can goldspam) with exception to your friends list (so you can still talk with your friends).

Give the gold players a golden (yellow) name in the forums/game, the silver a white (as is now) and the copper a redish brown name (and maybe block them from posting in the forums or make a special section for them to post in).

And maybe favor gold players over silver players over copper players in the queue for tickets and MMR.

You can still get anything by playing (gather 500 coins for a week) and having the possibility to get a steady income would benefit the company, tournament cash etc. while increasing the player pool would greatly benefit the casters, the esport appearance, sponsors, the players etc. etc. etc.
    Looks like someone missed the time to preorder and wants his opportunity now :P

But seriously: Matchmaking times can be pretty long already for those slightly outside the mid rating range, and/or those trying to play Grimms. Further limitations based on payment will only make things worse.

Imagine the matchmaking algorithm trying to match a couple of high MMR players. At that high level, there is one copper player in the queue, plus 9 silver. One of the silver players has selected "only silver players". The matchmaking algorithm cannot pit the silver player with the one copper player - so either the copper player cannot be put into that game, or the picky silver player. If you exclude the lower tier players as soon as one single picky high-tier player is in the game, low-tier players will be unable to find games. They will probably complain, stop playing and thus make search times even worse for the rest.

Account Icon
    Hell.....no
    U ?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

So why not combine them?

Shut the **** up.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    bye bye S2, hello maplestory

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

So why not combine them?

Is this your employment application to S2?

Quote Originally Posted by BladeOne View Post
    bye bye S2, hello maplestory
    LoL > MS

If it wasn't for LoL, S2 would totally make this a monthly sub - thank god for competition.
    DEC 13th, 2010
    “We will NEVER allow players to gain an in-game advantage for money, ONLY COSMETICS

JULY 29th, 2011
    “Players will be able to PURCHASE EARLY ACCESS to new heroes to play them before they are released for free to the rest of the legacy players”

Quote Originally Posted by Sven2 View Post
    Looks like someone missed the time to preorder and wants his opportunity now :P
    Hm, didn't even recognize that. Ok, change everything gold there in diamond and give them blue names (preorderers can chose if they wanna get shown blue or yellow).

But seriously: Matchmaking times can be pretty long already for those slightly outside the mid rating range, and/or those trying to play Grimms. Further limitations based on payment will only make things worse.

Imagine the matchmaking algorithm trying to match a couple of high MMR players. At that high level, there is one copper player in the queue, plus 9 silver. One of the silver players has selected "only silver players". The matchmaking algorithm cannot pit the silver player with the one copper player - so either the copper player cannot be put into that game, or the picky silver player. If you exclude the lower tier players as soon as one single picky high-tier player is in the game, low-tier players will be unable to find games. They will probably complain, stop playing and thus make search times even worse for the rest.
    Ok, lets compare the two states "Now" and "if my idea would be implemented":
    "If my idea would be implemented" there are 9 silver players and 1 copper player waiting. At any time either a silver or a copper player will join. If a silver player joins the picky player will get to the game and the copper player has to wait more. If a copper player joins, the picky player will not get into the game and the copper player will.
    "Now" there are no copper players so we basically have 9 players. They can't start a game too. If a virtual silver player joins, they have 10 players and can play. If a virtual copper player joins, there is no additional player and there are still 9 players who can't play.
    So either way, the new system is at least as fast in building a game as the old one OR is faster. And thats for the rare chance that there are more silver players than copper players. The opposite would be probable because the copper players can play which turns out to attract A LOT more players. And with more players, more players will buy silver or gold accs too.
    There is a really really rare case where one picky silver has to wait forever because every other silver is not picky and games start as soon as 9 coppers and a silver or 10 coppers build a group. But in this case the average waiting time would still decrease because for everyone but one a game starts really really fast and for 1 it increases a lot.

Is this your employment application to S2?
    Hell no. To get employed by S2 I would probably have to move to USA...I really don't want that.
    I stopped playing. First I did this, then I got the idea to let everyone who wants to boycot EA just not play every even calendar day, so S2 can see in their player numbers how many boycot EA. S2 deleted the thread, deleted my sig and now, I just don't play anymore.