I am really interested in creating maps and my own mods and such like hte bomberman map i recently saw and tried, the problem is im not experienced enough to understand some of the guides, i want to learn how to change hero abilities, for an easy example give elec's grip to pyro or somethin,
i have seen guides out there just not quite sure where to go or what to change exactly in the file to have it take effect,
i basically need a step by step of some more complicated tasks, i am able to make a normal map with working lanes kong and neutral camps but now i want to expand my knowledge
i want to create dodgeball which has already been talked about in the forums
if anyone is willing to take the time to give me a walkthrough on how to change the hero list to only display chipper and valk, and have the valk jav and chipper rocket as the only available move, with 1 charge each and no mana, and have entities drop on the enemy side after the enemy shoots and misses to give a charge to the enemy team,
if thats 2 complicated for a (noob) to learn maybe just give super low mana cost and raise the charge regeneration timer to 5 seconds maybe, and i also want to match the projectile speeds and maybe change the trails to the hellflower trail.
I have also been looking at the Resources files and am interested in changing some of the values on some stuff to test in a map and want to know how to path my map to that specific resources file i create.
i realise its a huge task to give a step by step walkthrough so if anyone is willing to provide one to help out those who are "New" to modding in general i would appreciate it, and if there is already a guide out there to get me started a link would be great!!
The example: Static Grip to instead of the Dragonwave Ability
- all heroes are stored in resources/heroes/heroname...
- in heroname, in this case electrician, we can find a hero.entity
- hero.entity is the file where all basics belonging to that hero are declared
- in fact: model,name,recommended items, sounds, abilities he will have
- so, we want his "Static Grip" and we know that is his 2nd ability (hot key w)
- we search the part beginning with: inventory0=...
-- inventory1=Ability_Electrician2 <-- Static Grip
- now we have the ability name, we leave this file/folder
- going into resources/heroes/pyromancer
- open hero.entity again, search for inventory...
- inventory0 is the first ability, his dragon wave, we change:
-- inventory0=Ability_Pyromancer1 into inventory0=Ability_Electrician2
-- save it
- DON'T edit your resources0, always use a custom resources file for new abilities/heroes or use it inside your map
Example: How to change pickable heroes in hero pick screen
- every hero has in his hero file (located in /resources/heroes/heroname/) the following:
-- team="Legion" or team="Hellbourne"
-- change "Legion" and "Hellbourne" to "void" for each hero you don't' want to showed
- that means there are 76 heroes in game, you only want chipper and valkyrie
-- you do that 74 times
-- thats already done in my map valkyrie wars, you can use it as source
Example: Chipper Rockets and Valkyrie Javelin only
- see above, set inventory0= to the spell you want, leave all others blank so in ""
Example: Charge/No Mana/ Drop a Charge
- for the Charge system look over chipper rocket ability, you will find it...
-- resources/heroes/chipper/ability1/ability.entity and all other entities there
- no mana, simply change the manacost in the ability to 0
- dropping a gadget for charges
-- in your projectile you need something like the following one:
...<spawnunit name="ChipperCharge" ..../>
- the gadget should use something like this
<addcharges entity="..." count="1" />
I have worked a lot with charges so you can look into the files of valkyrie wars, the javelin is charge
based and there exist a powerup to give an additional charge to the javelin.
I hope I could help you a little bit, even if I wasn't so much in detail as you
I suggest you add a "resources" folder to your map.
Then you make a folder "heroes" in that folder.
To keep the code clean, add a new folder "my_pyro" in /resources/heroes/
Now make a new hero.entity file (in "my_hero") and copy the code from the original /resources0/heroes/pyromancer/hero.entity into this file.
All the sound and effect declarations in the hero.entity should be edited, because the path is wrong.
vb : casteffect="effects/cast.effect" => casteffect ="/heroes/pyromancer/effects/cast.effect"
notice the /heroes/pyro.., this means you start the path from the root folder.
if the slash (/) ain't there, the path starts in the current folder (my_pyro)
You don't need to do the following :
Now change the name of your custom hero
name="Hero_Pyro_Elec" or even better : "ZZZ_Hero_Pyro_Elec"
Changing the name is not really needed but will keep the code cleaner. Adding some initials (like ZZZ) will make it easier to retrieve all your entities in the dev-mode spawner.
Only this is left:
Finally, set inventory0="Ability_Electrician1" or whatever spell you want.
If you make your own spells, this will become
set inventory0="ZZZ_Ability_Pyro_Elec_1" (or whatever name you gave to your ability)