Thread: How to make a hero

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TeapoT View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am trying to make a hero with a primary attribute that changes based on which ever stat is highest (and a default if they're all the same). I'm guessing I need another file wich will be loaded instead of a value from the hero.entity, this will then have to check the stats and work out which one is highest and then return that value to the hero.entity file. I have no idea what kind of file would be best suited to this, my first guess would be a state but as I said I really have no idea about it or how to implement it in place of a simple primary attribute value.
    Can't do this right now. We could add code for it, but not anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafebagels View Post
    I tried to do a negative mana regen aura (like pugna's ward), and i could only get it to do a max of -100% regen, even though the tool tip said -300%, yet i could get it to do more that 100% positive regen arua. is there something extra i need to have to get it to go past -100%
    How are you calculating how much mana to remove? I would probably create a state then 'onFrame' use 'takemana' and figure out how much to remove using 'manaregen'.

On a related note, with all this freetime on my hands I'm going to make a thread where anyone can make ability requests. Might as well learn while helping others.

Ability Requests
    edit* done: http://scumediting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=251

Account Icon
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <state
    	name="State_Hidden_Ability3"

icon="icon.tga"
    	passiveeffect=""

stealthtype="hero"
    	stealthproximity="600,500,400,300"

fadetime="10000,8500,7000,5500"
    >
    	<oninflict>
    		<startfade />
    	</oninflict>

<onattackstart>
    		<startfade a="source_attackduration" />
    	</onattackstart>

<onactivatestart>
    		<startfade a="castduration" />
    	</onactivatestart>
    </state>
    This is a modified Night Hound ultimate. It is a normal skill now, taking ability spot 3. It has increased fade time and a proximity stealth instead of full stealth.

Now the problem is with the proxistealth. I built this together using Night Hound ult and Scout ward as reference. The problem is that even when you are faded into the invis state heroes can still autoattack you. Example:

The custom hero is standind still with hold position, the proxistealth radius is 300 meaning everything past 300 can't see him. Now arachna walks nearby using attack-move and when she comes into attack range she will start to attack the custom hero from a 600 distance. In other words she is shooting air and none of the attacks hit the target, it's just miss, miss, miss.

Even if you idle with a hero it will aggro to the custom hero if he comes into aggro range.

So what gives?

Basically the skill would be like Night Hounds ultimate except if you go close enough to him you will see him even without wards, dust or anything of the sort, like you can see electric eyes.

@BoinkBot

Since you are probably doing this in practice mode, all the heroes you spawn are yours therefore they can see your own invisible units

Quote Originally Posted by substance View Post
    How are you calculating how much mana to remove? I would probably create a state then 'onFrame' use 'takemana' and figure out how much to remove using 'manaregen'.
    all i did was take manatube and turn it into an aura and changed the regen to manaregenmultiplier="1.5,3,4.5,6"
    Last edited by Cafebagels; 09-23-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafebagels View Post
    all i did was take manatube and turn it into an aura and changed the regen to manaregenmultiplier="1.5,3,4.5,6"
    oh, well you can try manaregen="-0.5" or just do what I mentioned above.

Account Icon
    Gonna mess with it soon , awesome .
    Map of Newerth:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?415557

Alt suggestion - Steampunk Balphagore:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=387053

Modifications - Hats and junk :
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=393977

So I'm trying to replicate Nome's Hobgoblin in the Top Suggestions of the Hero Suggestions Board. One of his skill "spins" the affected targets by 180 degrees, then reduces their turn speed by 80%. Is this possible to do using the current code? I've currently got it set to stun, but I'd like to change it to the spin effect.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Account Icon
    Awesome! Now to test it out...

EDIT: You guys are some of the best devs I've talked to in a long time! Keep the Awesome coming!

Account Icon
    Check if there's anything related to that in the tornado stick, as iirc it spins the target around. The turn speed is defined in the hero entity so I have my doubts about being able to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by BoinkBot View Post
    Check if there's anything related to that in the tornado stick, as iirc it spins the target around. The turn speed is defined in the hero entity so I have my doubts about being able to change that.
    That's a good idea, thanks. However, if it's impossible to change the turn speed, it isn't worth doing. Being able to turn back immediately would make the skill rather pointless >.<

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Trip: Tip: Look into malikens ult.
    Boink: Try adding
    nothreat="true"

- Steve
    I <3

Quote Originally Posted by emallson View Post
    Awesome! Now to test it out...

EDIT: You guys are some of the best devs I've talked to in a long time! Keep the Awesome coming!
    Yes i feel the same, i adore you guys at S2Games

Is there a way to reload the files without restarting HoN?

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    Trip: Tip: Look into malikens ult.
    - Steve
    Unfortunately Maliken's ultimate didn't tell me anything. His ultimate applies a "wander" effect, causing the units to move in random directions, rather than specifically turn around. It also doesn't modify turn speed, which is the other thing I was looking for.

Was there something specific you were referring to which might help?

Account Icon
    woot now to make HoNInfo do that >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Buttink View Post
    woot now to make HoNInfo do that >.>
    Hey Buttink, you think you could extract all the tags/properties from the code into something easily viewable? I'm working on my own API(link) but my method is pretty ineffective/inaccurate/time consuming.

Hey Buttink, you think you could extract all the tags/properties from the code into something easily viewable? I'm working on my own API(link) but my method is pretty ineffective/inaccurate/time consuming.
    I agree, we need a list of functions.

Keep up on your API though.

Account Icon
    Good work, but need more comments

Quote Originally Posted by CrashLemon View Post
    I agree, we need a list of functions.

Keep up on your API though.
    Second that. It would be a million times easier if we had a list of functions than looking through each hero's file. >.<

Pretty hard to figure out how to make the spells =P i understand how it works now though.