Thread: How to make a hero

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Account Icon
    Affector and state templates are backwards

Account Icon
    Idejder, can you make the sample more clear ? I don't see where i set the number of bounces.

Does will I be able to make something like Javelin of Light or Wave of Death to bounce ?

Can you make more sample with other kind of spells ? (Scout's vanish, passive chance of damage bonus, passive effect (like 50% chance to cast wave of death on attack/casting a spell/taking damage) wave damage spell, ground target area spell)
    Looking at the already done skills without any command won't help that much, this don't look like vJass from Warcraft III, i'm a bit lost, some more help would be welcome, and i'm sure i'm not alone that want a bit more help, but other don't ask

Does S2Games will make a tool to make spell ? Like the object editor from Warcraft III ? Or all spell will be like that ?
    Last edited by Magissia; 09-21-2009 at 07:14 PM.

How long does this generally take you, because I want my damn Templar Assassin.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Granman View Post
    How long does this generally take you, because I want my damn Templar Assassin.
    How much time will you take to write all the scripts, make a model and texture and some sound for a character ?

So how do you go about doing something such as Soulstealer's nuke, because for my idea I need a base ability which is a passive, and then it also uses 2 other abilities, so it is 3 abilities in total for 1 slot. (Preferably the passive would be in the background and the 2 skills would be in the lower left and right corner respectively).

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    All the code is in your resources0 file.

Account Icon
    If we submitted a hero in the suggestions section with the code behind it, would it have a higher chance of being implemented sooner? :3

Also; is there a way to see other Heroes' code? Id love to poke around in some of the more complex heroes.

Having a bit of trouble figuring out the model/texture bit, but it's all coming together.

Getting a model to look decent is a bit of trouble. I've converted the dds files in the resource folder to tga and placed them in the hero's folder, but random parts seem to appear transparent and he seems overall low quality when compared to the actual hero. (I'm just trying to make an exact clone of a hero as a practice thing.)

Edit: Problem solved yayayayay.
    Last edited by NinjaPants; 09-21-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    I <3 Efel.

Stuff Made by Yours Truly
    Deadwood Pawnch
    Gauntlet [Unsatisfied with it]
    Engineer's Direction Based Turret
    Riftshard Upgrades

If I don't respond to your pm, it's because I'm currently processing and evaluating other pms.

I'm very very confused. Not exactly sure what I plug in to actually make a skill function.
    Quote Originally Posted by uhhhahhhohah View Post
    perhaps you'd like to explain your pro-apartheid stance to everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
    It has no Vuvuzalas.

Quote Originally Posted by slime73 View Post
    All the code is in your resources0 file.
    How do I unpack this file though? I gathered this but I don't know how to look inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    How do I unpack this file though? I gathered this but I don't know how to look inside it.
    s2z is just zip format.
    &nbsp;

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Aye, just open up resources0.S2Z in WinRAR, go to the "heroes" folder, find who you want, and open up their .entity files in notepad.

how do you put the hero you made into the game, i tried to just drag and drop it into the resources0.S2Z in winrar but it says access denied

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafebagels View Post
    how do you put the hero you made into the game, i tried to just drag and drop it into the resources0.S2Z in winrar but it says access denied
    Make sure you're pasting it into the right folder, and be sure you're running WinRAR with admin access (that dumb mistake messed me up early on...). Oh, and HoN can't be running when you're changing the resource files.

Account Icon
    don't edit your original game Resource0 file you're only gonna **** your game up in the end. create another resources .s2z file named resources###.s2z and place your "heroes" folder in there

Gonna start trying to do this stuff tomorrow. I'll have a fair amount of spare time in my Java lecture tomorrow. (Why do they still teach grade 11 stuff in college -_-)

Too bad theres no offline mode right now =/ I can log in but I can't create a game no matter what I try. Praying for an option, but I think it would be too enormous of a project to allow the client to do all of the stuff the server does.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Account Icon
    wtb personal tutor...

this **** looks awesome but i am horrible at coding...

Pretty easy stuff.

I managed to make a teapot that explodes 3 seconds after you drop it (like a timed mine) and does aoe damage.

Effects weren't working though, I couldn't apply electrician's mana shield effect to the teapot(as a passive effect) or get any texture/icons working(bunch of checkerboard textures).

I think I'll just make Pitlord. I've been craving a port for him.
    Wait a minute.. I know what this is for! Redjedi wants us to do his job for him! that sly devil!

After trying to install Notepad++, all it does is flicker the loading symbol on my mouse then does nothing.
    Last edited by Rocky_Felix; 09-21-2009 at 10:57 PM.

The attacks are done using animated models not a config file. (demented shaman, etc) everyones attack has an animation clip to it and any effects, such as magmus who makes it go orangy.

If you are looking for more tutorials and what not I'm making a bunch at http://honlabs.com/forum/index.php

- Stev
    I <3