Thread: carries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Account Icon

carries

Can someone name me the heroes which are pure carries/semi-carries?

I know a couple: magebane, madman, predator, legionairre(?), perhaps maliken, chronos(?),...

Legionnaire definitely isn't a carry.

Magebane, Madman, Predator*, Maliken*, Chronos, Valkyrie*, Zephyr, War Beast, Pestilence*, Defiler*, Soul Reaper*, Arachna, Dark Lady, Blood Hunter, Soulstealer, Night Hound, Moon Queen, Swiftblade, Scout, Wildsoul, Armadon*, Hammerstorm*, Puppet Master*

*=semi-carry

Others can certainly correct or add as they see fit, but I think that covers most of them.

I would say that jere is also very nice carry.
    I'm not anonymous on the interwebs: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tymoteuszpaul

Account Icon
    Predator, Maliken, Valkyrie and Pestilence are all full carries

Hammerstorm I could see if people say he's semi, but I think he's good enough to be full as well

Puppet Master is definite semi-carry material, as are Defiler and Soul Reaper.

Jere fits with Puppet as semi-carry - even with Quelling Blade, his lack of moves like X Marks the Spot and Ghost Ship makes him inferior to carry Kunkka. He's still better as support 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Enreign View Post
    Predator, Maliken, Valkyrie and Pestilence are all full carries

Hammerstorm I could see if people say he's semi, but I think he's good enough to be full as well

Puppet Master is definite semi-carry material, as are Defiler and Soul Reaper.

Jere fits with Puppet as semi-carry - even with Quelling Blade, his lack of moves like X Marks the Spot and Ghost Ship makes him inferior to carry Kunkka. He's still better as support 90% of the time.
    why valkyrie? Does she have a single spell that scale with carry job ?

Account Icon
    I wouldn't say Magebane is a full carry.

Account Icon
    Valkyrie doesn't have any scaling, but two escape mechanisms and a ridiculous stun means she can constantly gank with tons of survivability until she's farmed enough to not need any.

Quote Originally Posted by theqat View Post
    Legionnaire definitely isn't a carry.

Magebane, Madman, Predator*, Maliken*, Chronos, Valkyrie*, Zephyr, War Beast, Pestilence*, Defiler*, Soul Reaper*, Arachna, Dark Lady, Blood Hunter, Soulstealer, Night Hound, Moon Queen, Swiftblade, Scout, Wildsoul, Armadon*, Hammerstorm*, Puppet Master*

*=semi-carry

Others can certainly correct or add as they see fit, but I think that covers most of them.
    There are other ways you can carry, not every carry requires physical dps to own.

If you followed competitive dota in 6.57-6.59 you would know it is hard to deny that axe carried alot of games. So don't tell us he can't carry.
    Ramsay Sound Pack

I hope the rest of your day is as pleasant as you are.

Valk is semi-carry imo. Never seen Maliken carry either, ever.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeza View Post
    Valk is semi-carry imo. Never seen Maliken carry either, ever.
    Maliken is a disgusting carry.

Ridiculous crit passive
    Disabling ulti
    AoE autoattack ulti
    Escape mechanism (poor one but one nonetheless)
    Stupid survivability

All you need is BKB and any lifesteal and you're good to go.

Get Token and you're guaranteed one teamfight where you just suicide while annihilating their team with 75% criticals.

And Lego is a sick carry too.

Barbed armor + blink + taunt + decapitate = win
    Last edited by Enreign; 09-20-2009 at 02:32 PM.

barbed armor? idk....

Quote Originally Posted by Enreign View Post
    Maliken is a disgusting carry.

Ridiculous crit passive
    Disabling ulti
    AoE autoattack ulti
    Escape mechanism (poor one but one nonetheless)
    Stupid survivability

All you need is BKB and any lifesteal and you're good to go.

Get Token and you're guaranteed one teamfight where you just suicide while annihilating their team with 75% criticals.

And Lego is a sick carry too.

Barbed armor + blink + taunt + decapitate = win
    Legionnaire is NOT a carry, not even close, he is an initiator.

what is a carrie?

Account Icon
    Can someone explain to me these terms? Carry, initiatior, etc, I hear them tossed around all the time and have a vague understanding of their meaning, but not quite enough.

Edit: Ack, a few seconds late.

Account Icon
    Carry is a hero that blows up their mens late game, generally through massive auto attack damage scaled by %-based abilities. A good example of this is Moon Queen. Glaive attack increases her attack damage, the aura increases her attack damage, and both scale %-based. In end-game with many high damage items, she will tear up enemy teams.

Initiator is a hero that starts the fight. A good initiator generally has an initiation mechanism (duh), something like a Blink type ability or more commonly a Portal Key (often known as Blink or Blink Dag), and then some sort of AoE mechanic that disrupts the enemy team. Legionnaire is a great example. He Blinks into the fight and uses his AoE taunt on as many heroes as possible. This means that their team is caught up in the stun (taunt is essentially a stun). During these few seconds, the rest of the team rushes in and casts their spells. Generally the initiator has a strong fire and forget AoE spell while the rest of the team can combo off that and unleash harder to land but stronger spells. Another good example is Behemoth. He blinks into a large group and blows his ultimate, his Enrage (thus activating Heavyweight and stunning more), and then Fissure (reactivating heavyweight). The combination here causes many of their heroes to be damaged and stunned while the rest of your team can then come in and clean up.
    Last edited by crayze; 09-20-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Not sure about Chronos, i tend to stay away from him at all costs

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by crayze View Post
    Carry is a hero that blows up their mens late game, generally through massive auto attack damage scaled by %-based abilities.
    So you are saying that carries are heros that, at least in the past, used to be called "Late-gamers"?

Account Icon
    Yeah, but generally the best carries are heroes that don't have an awful early game in exchange for a great late game. This is why Chronos, while being really powerful late game with stacked items, wouldn't be my choice for an ideal carry. Ideally, a carry can contribute to fights early game in some part with snares or stuns and some damage and then farm a lot without much risk of dying (i.e. escape mechanism somewhere, good example is Predator with magic immune + TP) and dominate the late game.

Quote Originally Posted by crayze View Post
    This is why Chronos, while being really powerful late game with stacked items, wouldn't be my choice for an ideal carry.
    Chronos has a slow, an escape mechanism and rewind early game and gets a very powerful ult.
    He's far from useless early on and is definitely first blood capable even though his lane presence admittedly sucks.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ain View Post
    Chronos has a slow, an escape mechanism and rewind early game and gets a very powerful ult.
    He's far from useless early on and is definitely first blood capable even though his lane presence admittedly sucks.
    Disagree. The slow is a longish cooldown and is on the same ability as his escape mechanism, meaning that if he comes in to slow he can't get out easily. It also isn't a very strong slow and has a short duration. He has no farming abilities, its very rare to get a perfect ult where your team is nearly all ranged and can attack the enemies you lock, generally 1-2 will be outside and the rest will be stuck as well. Leveling Rewind doesn't really keep him alive because the chance is so low, and if you prioritize Rewind over the psuedoblink you lose any offensive power that you could have had. His attack animation isn't particularly good, nor are his stats. He is definitely not first blood capable against decent opponents. Compare his blink to Magmus's blink.