Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: How can S2 compete with Valve in any way?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Will Dota 2 have Chipper??

What? No...mehh Nvm then

you mean you got the impression of valve from dota2 "website" i.e.blog? LOL

also there's an upkeep on the number of developers, and I don't believe vavle has more devs working on dota2 than S2 working on hon.
    Last edited by `BlueBeard`; 02-12-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGrime View Post
    haha ... So you know absolutely nothing. I'm glad that you could come up with a clever way of letting everyone know that you don't know ****. Claiming that Valve is bigger then ... Activision Blizzard? ... EA Games? Microsoft?

it seems as though your argument is invalid...
    Valve IS bigger. Have you ever seen Gabe in person?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Serane View Post
    There would be no competition. HoN is already out, DotA 2 still have no update since the initial announcement.

Also being a smaller company means S2 take (sensible) advices from it's community.
    At the end of the day, players will choose the game that's more appealing to them, and not the company. LoL is a good example.
    This is what I was trying to get at though, I haven't seen very many examples of S2 'listening' to there community. They have actually become very similar to LoL - in the sense that they keep filling up the shop with more and more **** but have the same lame bugs and lacking content since HoN 2.0 was even released. http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=218930 amongst many other things, this one just struck me as.... obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbron View Post
    My face and my palm connected with such palpable force that the only thing preventing the resulting shock-wave from annihilating the planet was the deep sigh which followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darxio View Post
    I'm not gonna Google anything because I don't believe it, but to be fair Blizzard does have the legal right to claim DotA as their own, as per the legal agreements by the users when making maps in the WC3 editor that anything made within it becomes and remains the property of Blizzard.

Wouldn't be farfetched if they do something about it.
    Whoa. Have you seen starcraft 2? The reason starcraft 2's maps suck is because they took away the mapmaker's freedom. In wc3, you could make anything, and the map was not legally owned by anyone, hence all the DBZ and mario maps (no copyright laws). Now in starcraft 2, blizzard legally owns the right to every map. Hence, starcraft 2 sucks.

I highly doubt Blizzard is going to sue Valve for DOTA2 seeing as how Valve already released a what 5-7pg article about Dota2 and its upcoming release. Why would Blizzard allow one of the most syndicated gaming magazines to publish that article without making some fuss; assuming they were planning to sue them.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJuDGe View Post
    They can't.

/Thread.
    ^this
    i already made the maths
    dota2 most probably 108 heroes in 2012
    hon most probably 85 heroes in 2012

dota atm 103 (5 to fill all the squares)
    hon atm 74 (11 one per month) 85

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusGrime View Post
    This is what I was trying to get at though, I haven't seen very many examples of S2 'listening' to there community. They have actually become very similar to LoL - in the sense that they keep filling up the shop with more and more **** but have the same lame bugs and lacking content since HoN 2.0 was even released. http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/sh...d.php?t=218930 amongst many other things, this one just struck me as.... obvious
    I guess you weren't around for closed beta. One thing you gotta know is that once you buy the game, the goblin coins is their way of generating income.
    They are going to come up with a realignment patch, which will take some heavy testing before released for the public.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluesMan View Post
    Haha. Valve copyrighted dota, which means Blizzard would be taken to court if anything.

And blizzard's DOTA is going to be complete ****, since it's limited off of Starcraft 2's shitty delay, and screenshots show ~12 heroes.

Oh, and finally http://store-new.valvesoftware.com/index.php?t=3&g=10

Haha, I copyrighted coca-cola, which means that Coca-Cola would be taken to court if anything(wow you're stupid.)

Blizzard's DOTA is not using the SC2 engine, what you are mentioning is merely a custom game within SC2, another notch on your dunce cap.

INSERT VALVE LINK OF MAKING MONEY FROM POSTERS. I mean come on, you think you have some Julian Assange level of information extraction.

I can't quote my sources but you may have to trust me on this one, notably, if you saw the most recent Blizzcon, consider the way in which the panel dealt with the DOTA2 question. Happy hunting.

xoxo

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #30
    It's silly that you think we're not a "legit" game developer. Also, how "big" your company is doesn't matter. There are games out there with huge development teams, global offices, and huge investment capital that still don't have functioning replays!

New Twitter and Blog addresses!

Account Icon
    They can't, but better find new ways to generate $$ before its too late!!!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyhow, Icefrog ; Who? we have Nigma, Nome, Mspudding & Diva.

HoN. Viva la revolución!

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    It's silly that you think we're not a "legit" game developer. Also, how "big" your company is doesn't matter. There are games out there with huge development teams, global offices, and huge investment capital that still don't have functioning replays!
    ^ i.e. Mojang and Minecraft

one guy

one million sales

You people think he is a huge game developer? You people think if Blizzard made World of Minecraft it would out sale the already one million sales that Mojang has sold?

Also remember S2 has both savage games which have done well as well as a supposed secret game or two they are working on.

I don't think S2 is planning on not dumping more money in HoN.

Nome btw how has cash shop effected sales since going into effect? I see a lot of business reports always showing a great increase in revenue from opening such shops.

And even if HoN does fail in the eyes of DotA2 they could always release their next game, make HoN f2p and profit off cash shop. Many proven examples of games going f2p then tripling in annual profit. (LotRO, DDO)

i have like 2400 coins and my shop doesnt work. trying to learn how to fix it proved fruitless. Valve (i hope) will completely bury this cowboy company that just robbed DotA

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadHarv View Post
    i have like 2400 coins and my shop doesnt work. trying to learn how to fix it proved fruitless. Valve (i hope) will completely bury this cowboy company that just robbed DotA

Great convincing piece... Everyone will surely be convinced of your masterful and terrible intelligence.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by RapeGhost View Post
    ^ i.e. Mojang and Minecraft

one guy

one million sales

You people think he is a huge game developer? You people think if Blizzard made World of Minecraft it would out sale the already one million sales that Mojang has sold?

Also remember S2 has both savage games which have done well as well as a supposed secret game or two they are working on.

I don't think S2 is planning on not dumping more money in HoN.

Nome btw how has cash shop effected sales since going into effect? I see a lot of business reports always showing a great increase in revenue from opening such shops.

And even if HoN does fail in the eyes of DotA2 they could always release their next game, make HoN f2p and profit off cash shop. Many proven examples of games going f2p then tripling in annual profit. (LotRO, DDO)
    Icefrog is basically a lone developer but now he has a stronger team and more power.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the DotA2 website that is basically a 1 post blog has convinced you the game will kill HoN ? Well that's nice and very smart of you to draw this conclusion only from this, you must be some kind of genius like the rest of the people around here with their DotA2 sigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    OH SNAP!

It could have been argued that S2 could put up a fight, but it's so obvious at this point that they're trying to make as much money off the community as they can by making LoL-like additions to attract a new crowd before DotA 2 drops.

Quote Originally Posted by LUC3NT View Post
    Icefrog is basically a lone developer but now he has a stronger team and more power.

Ever read about how everyone at Valve hates him for his arrogance? Rarely does a team succeed when lead by a poor captain.

I smell mutiny

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    What exactly is the OP's problem? Why does S2 have to prove anything? Why would they care when they're an indie developer that has made a successful game with a fairly large playerbase, especially for an indie game? You make it seem like there's some sort of deadline where if S2 doesn't somehow prove something over Valve in time then a black hole will swallow the Earth.

The fact is that Indie developers are some of the last true game developers left who strive to simply make a game people will enjoy and hopefully make enough $ to cover the cost. Hell, some small developers are just happy getting their game played, look at the World of Goo name your own price promotion. Your post essentially puts EA, ActiBlizzard on a pedestal when they ruin a lot of good things for games. Valve's a decent developer/publisher for their size but stop gobbling their dicks and just enjoy the games these people make.

TLDR This is a game forum, not a business forum.
    Last edited by Good_Apollo; 02-12-2011 at 09:52 PM.