Toggle Snow

Thread: Heroes of Newerth: The most hostile and unfriendly game EVER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Juuto View Post
    ITT: People getting trolololololololo'd.
    Uhm, no.

Quote Originally Posted by BesouroVerde View Post
    Greetings HoN players,

I am BesouroVerde and I'm a very new player to the HoN system. Just to provide further information about me and my gaming background, I had been playing Starcraft from 1999 to 2005, Warcraft 3 and DotA from 2004 to 2009 and currently I'm on Starcraft 2 and League of Legends since 2010 and now I've met Heroes of Newerth. You guys know that HoN is basically a DotA clone with slight differences, like a few new heroes, some changed/ new items, DotA heroes revamped/ mixed in skills, some stuff removed when compared to DotA and a few distinct features like reconnection possibility and alike. I've decided to give it a try on HoN since I've missed a bit the "3 attributes hero fashion" which is something that doesn't show on League of Legends that employs only stats like "ability power", "attack damage","armor", "magic resistance", "hit points" and "mana", instead of calculating those variables from "strenght", "intelligence" and "agility". Since DotA is a very outdated game with terrible online system flaws, like the quitters, laggers and that very sad ladder ranking from Garena which encourages stat manipulators and abusers besides delaying the match start and forcing players to take continuous "remakes" over and over so that you would take about 1 hour until you begin some straight game that is going to finish naturally at some point.

I've decided to start this thread to expose my impressions about HoN and I truly expect to be wrong and also hope some S2 staff shows up to read the contents of my message and perhaps answer me or take some action about it if necessary.

About the game interface:

The good: Everything looks like DotA. Even the Kongor (Roshan, Nashor) dude is positioned at the same point. The items are essentially the same with other names. Even the prices are the same as DotA. Notice that I'm not criticizing, that's just OK by me, since it's a familiar interface, the recipes are all known by heart and I won't have to go through testing builds one by one. The heroes are the same with some missing (Where is Furion? I mean, the horned elf dude that teleports, snare people among trees and raises treants to fight) which is another thing that helps me a lot and saves me a lot of time. Until this point, everything is just fine. Feels like playing evolved DotA and makes me happy about it.

The bad: The icons are sooooooo small. The inventory, the allies/ foes inventory are so tiny. The shop interface feels awkward to browse and you may end up buying stuff you didn't want just because you've single clicked some mistaken icon. Why not double click to buy or displaying a confirmation pop up? Figures... My health bar OUTLINE is green, my allies bar are yellow and my enemies are red but... It's so hard to see! Why not increase the blitter/ sprite that highlights the heroes or just change the HP BAR COLOR, not just add a very thin outline. At team fights I'm always confused when people jump in and start ganking because I just can't tell allies apart from enemies! And hey, I've got perfect eyes and I need no glasses. It's not a physical issue. The other match I've bought a courier I've taken a few minutes until I realize the "share courier" command was positioned at the top left of the screen as my gentle teammates kindly addressed words of peace and love to me. LOL! Guess I'm blind not a newbie after all!

The gameplay:

The good : The configuration menu allows you to remap buttons which is a very good thing. The team chat feature is awesome and saves a lot of time of typeing and risking yourself to get ganked and murdered as you're composing a sentence. The "concede" vote at 15 minutes of game is an excellent choice if your team is found already hopeless and people have lost the will to play and would like to restart another match.

The bad: The game is very fast paced to a point that your reaction time must be close to a fistfight reaction time. When the team fight comes up, it turns into a memorized-macro-button-mash-5 seconds max battle. Bang, bang, bang! 7 guys are dead and 3 are left with little HP. No time or opportunities for original/ distinct/ fancy strategies or something like that. Just pew-pew, it's over. The turret range is huge and some ranged heroes have the same big range, what makes the game even more unbalanced.

The community experience:

I'm really sorry but I don't have any compliments about that part. I must confess this is the most hostile and unfriendly gaming environment I've ever joined. I've witnessed griefing/ verbal harassment/ cussing/ crying/ qqing on EVERY game i've been into even if when the harassed guy wasn't me for missing the target because I've got confused with the colors / got killed early/ stood looking like a dummy because the action was so quick and my reaction slow as a turtle. But what really called my attention was the fact of having voting commands as "pause", "remake" and the most BIZARRE of all, which is the "kick" vote. First, why "pause"? In DotA, no one ever pauses, whenever someone pauses some other one just unpauses because it makes no sense at all when 9 people are waiting for 1 to get back. It's a wasted function and just allows people to slow/ drag/ stagnate the game for nothing. "Remake"? What? We had remake at DotA as an informal way to reset the game messed by some mistake, not an actual feature! If there's a record system reading the game stats, there is no need at all to include this! If the game is going that bad, just concede at 15 and start another one! Who cares about taking a loss in the account record... The "kick" vote is the worst idea I've ever seen on a online team battle game. I was playing a match when my wife asked me to check her e-mail. Just check, she wasn't going to answer people back or take a lot of time to read them all. She just wanted to log in and see who had e-mailed her, just a brief check, not more than 5 minutes. When I got back to the game, where was I? People had kicked me! LOL! For 5 minutes AFK did people hate on me? Into another match, there was this polite gentleman asking for "remake" vote because one of his friends who wasn't into the game - they were a 4 men premade team and I was the random - had just logged in. Then I've said: " Hey buddy, just let us finish this game and you guys will be able of playing with your partner very soon, ok?" Then I've refused the "remake" vote. They've started speaking some european language I don't know at the "ALL" channel and then they've started a kicking vote for me! LOL! Just because I wanted to keep playing, he was trying to persuade other people to kick me out of the game! And they did! LOL! This "kick" system must be sooooooooooooooooooo abused by people who flame others and spam those votes under any excuse just to see people getting dumped for their sick sad frustrated-elite-kiddo fun.

All those traits make the game so easy to be disrupted, corrupted and deprived of fair play. Trolls might just show up in your game and say that you are AFK when you're jungle and then BANG, you're dropped and getting a disconnect as a gift of valour. All the games i've joing I've mentioned that I've a newbie and no one helps, seldom if ever some offers some advice or support.

I know League of Legends is crammed with slobby abusers/ harassers and you might find em on your team when you least expect. But I've had trouble in every game I've joined!

I feel encouraged to abandon this game and just keep playing LOL as a team battle game. The players who played with me are nasty and terribly mannered. Funny fact is that the report system doesn't work properly. It takes a lot of time until you fill it, IF you remember the offender name. Still, the box supposed to be filled with the details is broken and you can't keep writing at the same spot of the cursor. If I ever get into a programming course I won't forget learning how to make operational text boxes (J/K. Sorry, I could not help myselft holding this one out). Besides, I've seen a lot of players feeding/ telling people locations and the mess goes on in very few games.

About buying this, I truly regret it, I feel like I've wasted my cash on it and got baited, lured into something which claims what is not and it's at full expectation. I'm still playing the game - since I've spent my hard earned money on it. I don't know what goes on into S2 crew to let those bad worked factors spoil the fun.

Seriously S2, make the models/icons bigger, disable "pause", "remake" and "kick" vote, reduce some game speed and also reduce some heroes/ turret range. PAINT THE HEALTH BAR CLEARLY PLEASE, that is big thumbsdown on this game. As I said, I expect to be mistaken about these bad impressions which is something I'll keep/ forget depending on how much flamed I'll be on this post/ over the games.

I wish you all players a good game and I hope S2 may fix all those negative points and build up HoN to become the true successor of the dearly loved DotA, since League of Legends and Demigod (which is going pretty much dead by now) have taken other ways and became very different game styles themselves.

See you around,

BesouroVerde
    ^ has never been introduced to the counter strike source community

the flaming is the worst in hon games, never xperienced smth like that before
    like many players have serious issues or smth

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Another review by some random. It's ok to not enjoy a game. I'm sure there are a massive amount of people who don't like HoN, it's just most don't make a massive post about it.
    HoN: Expect less, Pay more!

Hon is full of elitist jerks that love to hate just to be different . Just like how there's always ppl shitting on a very good movie just because everyone liked it . This is the relation between HoN and LoL.

Instead of admitting that yes there is stuff that could be improved like bars , Shop and so on they rather tell you to **** off.

Sadly DOTA had so much trash talk , griefers , *******s that if you liked the genre you had to become an ass yourself . LoL offers a good game for casuals that just want to have fun while HoN dragged all the *******s from DOta .

Hi there mr besouroverde.I hope u're not trolling cause it seems a bit like it.

Anyway i'm too lazy to answer at everything u mentioned so i'll just go for the ones i still remember.

First of all,u're right about the hon community and it's manners.We got many whiners,flamers,trolls,smartasses,griefers and i'm sorry for that too.I had post a thread too btw about this ^^

Also i agree with u that kick should be removed.Actually it WAS removed but some people(dunno who,probably trolls) wanted it back so S2 gave it back.But the truth is that people don't really wanted it,ever.And the bad thing is that it isn't used properly.People always try to find a way so they can kick people.

About the remake and the pause however i got to say that i don't agree with u.Sorry i'm too lazy to explain why they're important but yes they're and for obvious reasons if u sit down and think.

Now about the speed,colours,tower range etc i'm just gonna copy and paste another's post cause that's pretty much the answer any normal hon player would give."I've never had a problem with icon/health bar sizes or anything. Game speed and turret range are the same as DotA, so not sure how you have a problem with those, unless you didn't like them in DotA either :S Having a long range doesn't make something OP on it's own. There is only one hero with the range of a tower and he has low damage to compensate for it".
    "Only a true leader plunges into the dark woods of defeat and emerges in the light of victory" --

I don't know what kind of LoL you play but every time I go for a spin there's an asshat on my team trying to "lead" us.

In all honesty all your complaints boil down to "people are mean to me because I'm still bad at the game & I'm not used to this game yet".

Play the game some more, learn it, get used to it and you'll start to enjoy it more than any other game, just give it time.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuprous View Post
    Even though i completely agree, it is labelled in a weird way though
    Time spent playing should be on the x-axis, and gaming skill on the y-axis

Edit: on second thought, it doesn't make much sense no matter how you label it, but who cares
    this was my exact thought process

also, I'm calling bs that this guy plays SC2 but thinks going afk for 5 minutes is ok and that HON is "fast paced" XD

Quote Originally Posted by STing_ View Post
    I know you were trolling when you said you wanted to double click or confirmation to buy an item even though dota doesn't have/need those features
    OP, please, if you have played DotA for that long, and LoL for any length, you would realize this is a dumb way to 'fix' what isn't broken.

I was playing a match when my wife asked me to check her e-mail. Just check, she wasn't going to answer people back or take a lot of time to read them all. She just wanted to log in and see who had e-mailed her, just a brief check, not more than 5 minutes. When I got back to the game, where was I? People had kicked me! LOL! For 5 minutes AFK did people hate on me?

Pretty sure anyone in game would and should kick you for this , tell her to get back in the kitchen.

Greetings HoN players,
    The "kick" vote is the worst idea I've ever seen on a online team battle game. I was playing a match when my wife asked me to check her e-mail. Just check, she wasn't going to answer people back or take a lot of time to read them all. She just wanted to log in and see who had e-mailed her, just a brief check, not more than 5 minutes. When I got back to the game, where was I? People had kicked me! LOL! For 5 minutes AFK did people hate on me? Into another match, there was this polite gentleman asking for "remake" vote because one of his friends who wasn't into the game - they were a 4 men premade team and I was the random - had just logged in. Then I've said: " Hey buddy, just let us finish this game and you guys will be able of playing with your partner very soon, ok?" Then I've refused the "remake" vote. They've started speaking some european language I don't know at the "ALL" channel and then they've started a kicking vote for me! LOL! Just because I wanted to keep playing, he was trying to persuade other people to kick me out of the game! And they did! LOL! This "kick" system must be sooooooooooooooooooo abused by people who flame others and spam those votes under any excuse just to see people getting dumped for their sick sad frustrated-elite-kiddo fun

LOL look! Another player being randomly abused by the kick function. [sarcasm]How rare and ironic![/sarcasm]
    That was a funny read.
    Sorry you had to go through that. Sadly, for whatever reason, S2 decided it's the right way to get Kick back in.

Old news........
    stopped after "Greetings......."

i want my .8s back

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I read all of this and realized my life is a failure.

Account Icon
    The Halo reach community is just as bad as the HoN community. They just have no way of communicating to u via text in game.
    There's griefers, teamkillers, players who will kill u if u take their weapon/vehicle or force u to teamkill them. Theres really bad players as well.

After playing reach for a good 3 weeks i've noticed it really isn't that much worse than the HoN community.

Pause function could have saved you from being kicked when checking mail...

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Greetings HoN players,

I am BesouroVerde and I'm a very new player to the HoN system.
    and i stop reading there... TL DR... sry dude post a short version of all that.

Hello again!

Thanks for the replies. On a second thought you guys might just be right about the pause and the remake functions. Although I'm not so sure of how it should operate (how many votes to trigger or how long until paused (for pause). Concerning SC2, if you put in an absolute, general way, the game is MUCH faster, I know, but the goals are different, you just gotta farm your money on minerals/ vespene and you don't lose cash when your troops are defeated. Besides, you can just macro a big group of guys and area attack on the mini-map, as you focus on spawning more reinforcements or just managing the skill based troops (like high templars) to attack and retreat as needed. You know what I mean.

Of course I'm not trolling! About my account creation, it was created when HoN was on open beta (early 2009) but never played until now (that I've purchased the full account). I'm newbie; my "eyes" and reactions are not "automatized" to the game. Despite my poor skills, I only know the items (same as DotA).

I know 5 minutes is a long time. Would have been a big loss for sure at SC2. Pause would have avoided my disconnection, yeah. But still, couldn't the teammates have waited a little while longer until I was back? So serious like that? Wow! I understand that a loss would harm a beautiful PSR ranking but the disconnection/ leave would harm mine much more :P I can't say no to the lady...

I'm not a player of FPS, like Counter-Strike or Halo. Althought I've played some games on that genre, it's not really my style, but they're still great games and very well elaborated.

I don't understand the hate/ prejudice/ intolerance about LoL or other RTS. It's OK to not like it because you don't identify yourself with it, but they're still good games and they require a different combination of skills. Liking one game doesn't require you to dislike the other...

About the in-game trolling, I know it's a "curse" that falls upon any online game. It's the internet, the competitiveness, the emotions on a string... Whatever. I just went "O.o" when I saw that scary amount of trolling having played so little (I guess I've made about 15 matches so far, with trolls on every game). I hope S2 would control more the environment by warning the lawbreakers (I don't think that suspending/ banning players is the proper way to improve the community, unless the person in case backslides and continues to trespass the rules).

So you think the shop is just OK to browse? DotA was hard for newbies to browse (buy X item on the orc peon, Y on the wisp, Z on the dwarf, W on acolyte) The labels (supportive, protective) help but I still find it a bit clumsy... Well, maybe because I'm a beginner.

Then you agree the HP bars are funky, huh? That's my worst problem so far. "Who do I click? Who do I click!?" And the kick function has already been discussed... Hope they remove it for the greatest happiness of all.

Thanks for the attention again everyone. I wish you guys a good game.

BesouroVerde

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    trying to hard OP. I share a totally different opinion and experience regarding both the in game and forum community
    The fiddler from Chagalls village was inviting me to dance... so I danced.

OP is a scrub who has bad eyesight. Go play some 8bit games.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Hello again!

Thanks for the replies. On a second thought you guys might just be right about the pause and the remake functions. Although I'm not so sure of how it should operate (how many votes to trigger or how long until paused (for pause). Concerning SC2, if you put in an absolute, general way, the game is MUCH faster, I know, but the goals are different, you just gotta farm your money on minerals/ vespene and you don't lose cash when your troops are defeated. Besides, you can just macro a big group of guys and area attack on the mini-map, as you focus on spawning more reinforcements or just managing the skill based troops (like high templars) to attack and retreat as needed. You know what I mean.

Of course I'm not trolling! About my account creation, it was created when HoN was on open beta (early 2009) but never played until now (that I've purchased the full account). I'm newbie; my "eyes" and reactions are not "automatized" to the game. Despite my poor skills, I only know the items (same as DotA).

I know 5 minutes is a long time. Would have been a big loss for sure at SC2. Pause would have avoided my disconnection, yeah. But still, couldn't the teammates have waited a little while longer until I was back? So serious like that? Wow! I understand that a loss would harm a beautiful PSR ranking but the disconnection/ leave would harm mine much more :P I can't say no to the lady...

I'm not a player of FPS, like Counter-Strike or Halo. Althought I've played some games on that genre, it's not really my style, but they're still great games and very well elaborated.

I don't understand the hate/ prejudice/ intolerance about LoL or other RTS. It's OK to not like it because you don't identify yourself with it, but they're still good games and they require a different combination of skills. Liking one game doesn't require you to dislike the other...

About the in-game trolling, I know it's a "curse" that falls upon any online game. It's the internet, the competitiveness, the emotions on a string... Whatever. I just went "O.o" when I saw that scary amount of trolling having played so little (I guess I've made about 15 matches so far, with trolls on every game). I hope S2 would control more the environment by warning the lawbreakers (I don't think that suspending/ banning players is the proper way to improve the community, unless the person in case backslides and continues to trespass the rules).

So you think the shop is just OK to browse? DotA was hard for newbies to browse (buy X item on the orc peon, Y on the wisp, Z on the dwarf, W on acolyte) The labels (supportive, protective) help but I still find it a bit clumsy... Well, maybe because I'm a beginner.

Then you agree the HP bars are funky, huh? That's my worst problem so far. "Who do I click? Who do I click!?" And the kick function has already been discussed... Hope they remove it for the greatest happiness of all.

Thanks for the attention again everyone. I wish you guys a good game.

BesouroVerde
    so u want a trollfilter.....

must stop you!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast