Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread. Thread: The Heroes Art Project.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

The Heroes Art Project.

Hey everyone,

I'm a Game Art student and this year we got the chance to do a project of our own choosing, so I chose to do one that involves Heroes of Newerth because the game deserves a little artistic love.

The goal of the project was to get a feel for the style of the game, and then design a handful of new heroes that would fit into the game. Below are the results of the project, a total of 10 heroes of which 4 "new" designs. For progress shots and commentary, you can scroll through this topic or take a look at the project's blog.

----

Follow the project's blog here.

My DeviantART: link

Rules for using:

Every hero I finish will come with a transparent version. Please note me if you are interested in using it and I will send it to you!

Please read before you comment:
    I've had a lot of suggestions for my works and they are all welcome, but do think about what you're going to say. I will obviously not take suggestions like "needs bigger boobs!" seriously. I'm doing concept art, not wanking material. I have also had comments that said that my poses were a bit boring. This is fair enough, as indeed they are. However, those poses are completely intentional; I'm doing concept art, not illustrations. Look up any kind of concept art of knights or warriors and 99 out of a 100 times you will see a simple standing pose (despite any kind of awesome movements the character might make). The purpose of concept art is to show the overall design of the character as well as possible so that modellers or other artists know what they're working with. There can be some form of movement, but nothing extreme or full of action. Please take those things into account when you comment, thanks .

----

#1 - Slither

#2 - Soulstealer

#3 - Rampage

#4 - Nymphora

#5 - Fayde

#6 - Magebane

#7 - Beast Pebbles/Mountain beast - MODEL AVAILABLE HERE!

#8 - Poacher

#9 - Hellhound

#10 - Huntress
    Last edited by Lhune; 06-30-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Account Icon
    This is really good. I hope you finish the others quickly. IT's also really cool to have an artist that can actually do this, since a lot of people are looking for concept art that isnt around. This will definitely make up some wallpapers and the like in the future if all of your work is this good.

And also, that last paragraph is kinda... Out of left field? I really don't know if people care that much about it, except those trolls who use it to bug the crap outta you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izual View Post
    I don't have a problem with you making this post, or with your opinion. But I do have a problem with you ASKING FOR FEEDBACK AND THEN GETTING ALL DEFENSIVE TACO ON EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU.
    LOL

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredderIV View Post
    This is really good. I hope you finish the others quickly. IT's also really cool to have an artist that can actually do this, since a lot of people are looking for concept art that isnt around. This will definitely make up some wallpapers and the like in the future if all of your work is this good.

And also, that last paragraph is kinda... Out of left field? I really don't know if people care that much about it, except those trolls who use it to bug the crap outta you.
    Thanks a lot, I sure hope so! If people like the end results enough I'll see if I can make some wallpaper versions out of them . Also, I guess you're right, I've removed that bit.

#1, Slither. This is (as is hopefully obvious) a work in progress.

Edit: Update; did a little bit of refining, moved the right leg, sketched where the tongue is going to be and I'm not too sure about that other arm yet. Working on it. I'm aware the real Slither doesn't have black claws, but I thought it suit him so I used a bit of artistic freedom there.

Last edited by Lhune; 12-22-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Really nice!!! I cant wait for the rest 29 heroes
    H-O-N !!!

I like!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Thanks guys . As for the next 29 heroes;

Which one would you like to see after Slither?

Vote here.
    Last edited by Lhune; 12-18-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Account Icon
    That looks pretty neat, I'm curious now how you will do predator, that is if your planning on doing him.
    Map of Newerth:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?415557

Alt suggestion - Steampunk Balphagore:
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=387053

Modifications - Hats and junk :
    http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=393977

Account Icon
    The right arm placement looks good where you sketched it.

You work pretty fast too, 2 hours and it looks a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izual View Post
    I don't have a problem with you making this post, or with your opinion. But I do have a problem with you ASKING FOR FEEDBACK AND THEN GETTING ALL DEFENSIVE TACO ON EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU.
    LOL

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredderIV View Post
    The right arm placement looks good where you sketched it.

You work pretty fast too, 2 hours and it looks a lot better.
    Faster than that, I think this took me 2 hours in total so far . I've been working on it on and off, going to start again now. If anyone is interested in seeing me work on this project live, let me know and I'll set up a LiveStream show for it.

It's also good to know which heroes people would like to see. My choices are obviously a bit limited so I'd like to go with the heroes people find most interesting.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    wow, you are awsome.

my suggestion for improvement: make a blog for updates.

and this is my personal list:
    :fors:
    (altought some already have an art, I love to see yours)
    Last edited by AvunaOs; 12-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    ─ Signature making is an art ─
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    avunaos.deviantart.com

Pretty good, I want a blood hunter one
    Good thing about playing with friends: you will never get kicked when picking Night Hound as Orange or Brown.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    AvunaOs; A blog is actually a good idea. I hate blogs, but they have their uses. I'll work on making one.

Blaky039; Blood Hunter is definitely on my list too .

For whoever is interested, you can watch me working on this picture live over here.

I'll sub this thread. Where do you study by the way?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Axas View Post
    I'll sub this thread. Where do you study by the way?
    Hey, thanks . I study at the HKU (Utrecht School of the Arts in English), I'm only a first year student though, art wise I'm pretty much entirely self taught.

I'm calling this one done.

Started on a new sketch for Soulstealer:

Keep it up.

The new soulstealer is better but great work nontheless!
    Good thing about playing with friends: you will never get kicked when picking Night Hound as Orange or Brown.

i wish i had ur skills , GJ!

Account Icon
    OP = True Artist.

Edit: That's an understatement. Actually, You're a true, VERY TALENTED Artist.

Keep it up!! Can't wait to see those done as wallpapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalias View Post
    Since "Choose Wisely" has been removed, I've seen an increase of unwise picks go up by 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhune View Post
    Hey, thanks . I study at the HKU (Utrecht School of the Arts in English), I'm only a first year student though, art wise I'm pretty much entirely self taught.
    Oh, okay, you're probably one of the more experienced students in that case ^_^

I am amazed by your work, great job. I surely will use some of your artworks to obtain more renders for creating signatures.
    Is it possible for you to seperate the render from the background so we do not have to render it?

And I think you left out some highlights on the skin of slither, just feels like it misses just one more layer, or maybe that is just me. amazing work, looking for more from you
    Last edited by Sye; 12-19-2010 at 07:41 AM.