Toggle Snow

Thread: [WIP] Ganking and Aggression

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol

[WIP] Ganking and Aggression

I'm not posting in drafts because this will probably take a while to fully complete, and I'd appreciate feedback on the work as I progress with it.

Ganking and Aggression
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    A Comprehensive Guide to Making a Difference

Table Of Contents

1. Introduction
    2. Ganking
    3. Ganker Tier List
    4. Map Control
    5. Pathways to Kills
    6. Credits

Introduction

Welcome to my guide on ganking. The point of this guide is to outline and explain what ganking is, when it is most effective, who it is most effective with, and how it transitions and relates to the rest of the game. This guide is not specifically useful for completely new players. It is assumed that you have basic game knowledge necessary to play the game somewhat efficiently, however it is possible to apply this information to any level of play. A lot of this guide revolves around the map, specifically Forests of Caldavar. If you're playing on a different map or the current map is drastically changed, some of this information may become obsolete.

I've grown somewhat weary of the general attitude of Heroes of Newerth players in general. People are far too passive in their gameplay, seeking to remain always out of conflict at all times. There's certainly a distinction between these players and others. Some people get through almost all of their games with high creep scores and low death counts, but still barely manage to win as many games as those who play much more aggressively. A person who sticks his neck out for his allies will be facing a weaker opponent with stronger team. In contrast, there are those players (such as Yours Truly) who are far too aggressive, and even if they secure a good position for allies through ballsy play will end up on occassion landing themselves in terrible positions.

The perfect player is able to be as defensive as possible, and plays off of every mistake an opponent makes. Opportunities cannot be created, only uptaken.
    "Decisions about attacking and defending are automatic. We initially and continually use our resources to defend what we have. We never attack unless we have more resources than we need to defend. Then, if we see a clear opportunity - one in which we cannot lose - then we must attack."
    -Sun Tzu

Ganking

What is Ganking?

While not a currently defined word in the English language, it is commonly used as slang.

Gank - Verb
    1. Attempting to kill or take something from another person (player), often by means of an unexpected attack.
    2. To steal or take something that does not belong to you. (Urban Dictionary)

Synonyms: ambush, assassinate
    Past Tense: Ganked
    Present Tense: Ganking

It can also be used as a noun, "That was a good gank."
    In context of Heroes of Newerth, Ganking is simply the act of attacking an enemy hero with the intent to kill them. Without the intent to kill it would generally be regarded as harassment.

Feel free to submit any submissions or synonyms, if your suggestion is good enough I'll add it and credit you in the credits.

Why Gank?

The general premise of Ganking is to gain an advantage over your opponent. When you kill an enemy you gain gold and experience. When an enemy dies they lose gold and time. In exact numbers:
    Hero Kills

The killing hero gets 200 + Killed Hero's Level * 5
    Heroes who assisted in the kill receive 100 + Killed Hero's Level * 2.5 gold, divided equally between them.
    Getting the first kill of the game will award the killer with Bloodlust and +200 extra gold for that kill.
    All heroes within 1000 units of a killed enemy hero will receive 30 + Killed Hero's Level * 5 gold.

Should the hero who is killed be on a killing streak when you kill them, the killer will receive bonus gold on top of the normal gold.

StreakBonus GoldKills Requiremend
    Serial Killer503
    Ultimate Warrior1004
    Legendary1505
    Onslaught2006
    Savage Sick2507
    Dominating3008
    Champion of Newerth3509
    Bloodbath40010..14
    Immortal50015+

Death

On death a hero is given an observable respawn timer equal to Dead Hero's Level * 4. When the timer reaches 0 the hero will respawn in the hero's team's well.
    When a Hero is killed they lose gold equal to Dead Hero's Level * 30.

Time translates to both gold and experience, as well as being able to defend your team and your base. Killing enemy heroes makes pushing a lot easier, and most successful ganks will turn into a lost tower or barracks.
    Last edited by RogerDodger; 11-28-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    placeholder
    Last edited by RogerDodger; 11-28-2010 at 05:32 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    more placeholder
    Last edited by RogerDodger; 11-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    i think 200,000 characters will be enough
    I have returned

inb4 finished

The perfect player is able to be as defensive as possible, and plays off of every mistake an opponent makes. Opportunities cannot be created, only uptaken.
    I disagree on this.

Account Icon
    On the hero kills section, you don't mention that if the killed hero is on a streak the assisting heroes also get the bonus gold because it is half the gold the killer receives; it also applies for blood lust bonus gold. If you killed a level 20 hero who was on a Blood Bath streak the killer gets 200 + (20*5) + 400=700g, which means the assisting heroes have 700/2=350g divided between them.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

This thread not being updated is inciting my aggression....

But seriously please update RogerDodger you write great stuff!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    thread not updated due to rogerdodger being banned

I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    rofl. what you get banned for?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I didn't actually do anything bannable within the last ~4 months.

Chavo just decided that he wanted to change the rules.

I'd sing you a song, but
    I'm just a little hoarse.