Toggle Snow

Thread: How to Step Up Your Game

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Icon
    Yeah, overall game awareness and a good conscious can lead you to a better player ( what i've been told ).

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Thanks for the Tips im new so they shall prove very usefull

Nigma's guide to being a better player:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e02e7qGhRwQ

Fun to watch and instructional in the ways of HoN. So many people could step up their game if they watched this and learned.
    Dunning–Kruger effect: a cognitive bias that causes unskilled people to make poor decisions and reach false conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the ability to realize their mistakes. The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability much higher than it actually is. This leads less competent people to rate their own ability higher than more competent people.

Account Icon
    a combination of introspection and educated practice should help any player to improve.

Added an honourable mention for casual mode.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

Account Icon
    great tips!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I fail the 2nd point pretty hard, but it is hard when it comes to MM and I play with a lower mate..

Signature by: Sye

The hard thing about getting better in a game like this compared to something like starcraft, is in starcraft you can just focus on honing one skill at a time and it's fine if you lose a ton of games due to neglecting everything else. In this game you have to try to juggle everything from the very beginning if you don't want to troll your own team.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    One good tip is to listen to your allies that are BETTER than you (Although some of them say ridiculous things). I tell less skilled players to quit going off alone and farming the lane alone but then they still do it.. then they get ganked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwyr View Post
    1. Realize you're not a good player. Once you understand this, you can work to improve yourself. If you think you're a good player, fault will always fall to your allies instead of where it should be: You.
    This is the best advice ever. Once you realize this, you've already improved.

Added Khakhan's CTRL+F Guide.

Forum Moderators are not S2 Games employees. My posts in no way represent the view of S2 Games or any of its staff.

Please use the report post function to have me review a post that you believe is breaking the Forum Rules.
    Check the Sticky Threads for additional information on this sub-forum and the Announcement Threads for more information about Heroes of Newerth as a whole!

-----------------------------

Having trouble getting started? The Training Grounds and Project Epoch can help!
    I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.

watch Honcast. Gain PSR!

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I've been in the scene some time now, and I'm improving daily. What you can consider while playing:

1. When you play mid, when to gank, when to farm, when to TP for ganks etc.

2. When you're playing a carry, when to initiate, when to farm, when to support your team even though you are freefarming.

3. When you're playing support, litteraly give you're life for your carry, and support them like hell. Ward for them, protect them. Your death means nothing compared to his.

Always watch the minimap, always. have a great presence of mind, and understanding of the game. This will help you, as it has helped me.

And to you who thinks play support is boring. I believe if you play your support role 100 %, it is actually very fun to play. Beeing the ward baitch is actually more rewarding when you win, than beeing the carry and getting the kills. Because you're job is more difficult then the carries, believe it or not.

Remember that it is more difficult to play a good support then to play a good carry, it requires more skill, more anticipation, more calculation and more balls! Remember this!

I am not a good player by all means, but i still manage to get 17 - 0 soulstealer, or empath with 5 - 3 - 26 (out of 35 kills total), having these thoughts in my mind.

Practise makes perfect sometimes
    Last edited by Sol9o; 05-31-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Please buy me and pay attention to me, so next time i wont DIE - Monkey Courier

i have no friends

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12