Thread: Harlequin (formerly Hobgoblin)

View Poll Results: Would you like this suggestion implemented?

Voters
1822. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
    Account Icon

Harlequin (formerly Hobgoblin)

UPDATED DREAM VERSION (CLICK)

This is an tricky melee hero-killer with a unique playstyle that depends on three passive abilities. Please comment!

Harlequin

Speed: 320
    Range: Melee
    Affiliation: Hellbourne

Strength: 19+2.3
    Agility: 21+2.4
    Intelligence: 14+1.5
    (Madman start and gain with more STR and less AGI)

Theme

The Harlequin is a tricky, elusive fighter that depends on not being hit to deal damage. A beast at 1v1, great for chasing, and relevant even in nuke-heavy teamfights, he depends on three passive abilities to carry him throughout battle. Nevertheless, you will see that he requires an extremely active and attentive player to utilize to full potential!

Story
    The combined worries of children sleeping in a dark room and wives waiting for their husband's return nearly add up to the woes caused by the Harlequin. Like a dancing clown, it merrily romps through the battlefield, spinning and hopping through crowds of troops while cutting them with his his blade. A demon of speed and confusion, its name evokes a sense of glee, but beneath it hides a much more chaotic and sinister existence.

Visuals
    Something like the above! A masked, skinny figure almost like a lanky man in a bad Halloween costume. Whenever he casts a spell or kills something, you should hear him laugh!

Carousel

The Harlequin swings madly in a circle, spinning his victims around.
    Deals damage and turns all enemies 180 degrees in a 350 AoE. Affected enemies have their turnspeed reduced by 80% for and movespeed reduced by 20% for 2 seconds. While performing Carousel, the Hobgoblin is temporarily magic immune, though this will not get rid of existing debuffs.
    Skill Type: Active
    Damage Type: Magical
    Cast Time: 0.4
    Cooldown: 11/9/7/5
    Mana: 90
    1. 80 damage.
    2. 90 damage.
    3. 100 damage.
    4. 110 damage.
    Usage: When used, all affected enemies will be spun around 180 degrees and have their turnspeed reduced. This means that whatever they were doing will be disrupted; if they were fighting you or running, they'd have to turn back around first to continue. During the 0.4 cast time, any spells that hit you are completely ignored. This includes stuns, nukes, and anything else you can think of.
    Balance: Cools down slightly faster than Pestilence's Impale. Is a pure slow--will not interrupt channeling. The spell immunity offered during Carousel allows the Hobgoblin to dodge slow nukes like Andromeda's Comet and anticipate global nukes like Thunderbringer's Lightning Storm.
    Visual: The Harlequin spins and swings his sword quickly, similar to Legionnaire's Whirling Blade. Affected units have a dazed icon over their head.

Hop

The Harlequin skips merrily as he torments his victims, hopping over their heads in a deadly game of leapfrog.
    When not on cooldown, your next movement command triggers the Hobgoblin to hop to where you click (attack commands will not trigger Hop). Hopping over an enemy will damage and ministun him. You may hop up to 300 range; clicking at a shorter distance will cause a shorter hop. While performing Hop, the Harlequin is temporarily magic immune, though this will not get rid of existing debuffs.
    Skill Type: Passive
    Damage Type: Magical
    Range: 300
    Speed: 900
    1. 30 damage.
    2. 40 damage.
    3. 50 damage.
    4. 60 damage.
    Usage: Makes the Harlequin extremely mobile, able to skip up to 300 distance every 5 seconds without the use of mana. The hop ignores pathing, so you can hop up and down cliffs. Hopping over enemies will do a small amount of damage and ministun them; combined with Carousel, this can make you very difficult to target. Because this is a passive, it cannot be silenced. You may retain a small amount of control over Hop; for example, if you click to move while Hop is on cooldown, you will continue moving without Hopping--only another right click movement command will tell him to Hop.
    Visual: The Harlequin makes a quick hop. If hopping over an enemy, he does a leapfrog animation on their head.

Lunatic's Blade

The Harlequin's blade drips with the blood of the unwilling victims who did not fight back.
    Deal bonus damage against a target that has not damaged you in the past 1.5 seconds. Half damage vs. creeps. Lunatic's Blade is a general modifier, so images will deal the full bonus damage.
    Damage: Physical
    1. 15 bonus damage.
    2. 30 bonus damage.
    3. 45 bonus damage.
    4. 60 bonus damage.
    Usage: Useless in a head-on battle, but gives a large bonus when you play elusively with Carousel and Hop. Works on images, including those created by Masquerade. Bonus damage is halved vs. creeps to balance out last-hitting.
    Visual: Bonus damage appears over the enemy's head in red numbers. Special stabbing motion and sound, with a bit of bloodspatter.

Masquerade [Ultimate]

The Harlequin's trickery knows no bounds. On occasion, he will leave a mirage of himself, though it kills all too real.
    Whenever you hit enemies with Carousel or Hop over an enemy, you leave an uncontrollable image that deals 50% damage. Images have a short period of invulnerability; after that, they may destroyed with a single hit. Images left during Carousel will attack whatever enemy you hit (so if you hit 3 enemies, each are left with an image), while images left during Hop will attack whatever enemy you just hopped over (so if you hop over two enemies, each will have an image attacking them). During the invulnerability, images can be targeted but not destroyed; this means that if you hit them, you won't kill them, but you will stop them from using Lunatic's Blade. Images will disappear if their target is destroyed. Images are equipped with Lunatic's Blade, but do not have Masquerade. Because they are uncontrollable, they cannot Hop (however, Geometer's Bane and Illusion tablet images do have Hop).
    Duration: 9 seconds
    1. 1 second invulnerability.
    2. 2 second invulnerability.
    3. 3 second invulnerability.
    Usage: Synergizes with Lunatic's Blade to create a source of guaranteed damage. Initial invulnerability allows the images to survive in a teambattle or against constant AoE nuking. After the invulnerability, they will die from any source of damage in a single hit.
    Visual: Images appear hazy. When destroyed, they vanish in a puff of red mist.

Last edited by Nome; 05-20-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Account Icon
    Genius. I love it.

Account Icon
    Fantantic idea! Although I was hoping that the Hobgoblin would be smaller and more deceiving, like an annoying imp. Not a tall, mysterious rogue. Personal preference, I guess.

Account Icon
    The concept is great! I feel it's unique and will probably be a fun hero to play when you get to know his skills!

There are a few things I miss and wonder over though..
    Firstly, his starting attributes, his starting health and starting mana. For me to give a final evaluation, I'd love to see some numbers(I'm a numbersfreak, balance is vital! ;P)
    Secondly, is his starting-ms a bit too high? As he is a lot faster than most heroes I know of, he'll be able to harass extremely well(Hop, Spin, Run) and he'll be very hard to catch, especially as he has hop and with Lothars, it'll be like trying to catch the Madman(Attack -> Invis -> Gone forever!).
    This can of course be balanced out by his hp or mana etc, as Madman for example cannot harass that much seeing as his manapool is as small as a coconut.
    Thirdly, how would hop work if I were to use Attack instead of Move when the skill is ready? Can I actually target someone with attack and "save" Hop or will it be used when the Hobgoblin moves?

The concept is unique and awesome, I'll give you an easy T-up for that, but question is, how will he balance out in early/mid and end? Seeing as he is an agility-based hero with his full potential revealed in late mid/early end(seeing as his images will start to cause a lot of damage by then), he musn't be too good in early game.
    It's tricky to evaluate such a unique hero with mostly passive skills but I really don't think he'll have the "Leoric-Syndrome" but instead be quite tricky to master!

So for now:
    T-up on concept, need numbers for final evaluation.

-Guybrush Threepwood

Account Icon
    Alright, let's do the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Carousel

The Hobgoblin swings madly in a circle, spinning his victims around.
    Deals damage and turns all enemies 180 degrees in a 350 AoE. Affected enemies have their turnspeed reduced by 80% for and movespeed reduced by 20% for 2 seconds.
    Skill Type: Active
    Mana: 90
    Damage: 60/80/100/120 damage.

Usage: When used, all affected enemies will be spun around 180 degrees and have their turnspeed reduced. This means that whatever they were doing will be disrupted; if they were fighting you or running, they'd have to turn back around first to continue.
    Visual: The Hobgoblin spins and swings his sword quickly, similar to Legionnaire's Whirling Blade. Affected units have a dazed icon over their head.
    We really need more numbers here. Essentially, stripped of the "turn around" effect, this is a 2 second AoE disable. Granted it's quite flavorful in the whole "everyone spin around" motif however the problem I have with it is it's a 2 second AoE disable every 5 seconds. This combined with his hopping is going to make this hero an absolute monster to get away from. Not to mention that it's dealing 120 damage as well, a nice little farmer.

Hop

The Hobgoblin skips merrily as he torments his victims, hopping over their heads in a deadly game of leapfrog.
    When not on cooldown, your next movement command will tell the Hobgoblin to hop. Hopping over an enemy will damage and ministun him.
    Range: 300
    Damage: 30/40/50/60 damage.

Usage: Makes the Hobgoblin extremely mobile, able to skip 300 distance every 5 seconds without the use of mana. The hop ignores pathing, so you can hop up and down cliffs. Hopping over enemies will do a small amount of damage and ministun them; combined with Carousel, this can make you very difficult to target.
    Visual: The Hobgoblin makes a quick hop. If hopping over an enemy, he does a leapfrog animation on their head.
    Very flavorful, incredibly annoying. If you ever play a melee against a ranged disable, you're almost certainly running back and forth at the line of creeps. Trying to walk the line between salvaging xp and swooping in for last hits/ Denys/ opportunities to strike. It's a tense game and inadvertently jumping forward 300 units while doing so will almost certainly get people killed.. A lot.

Lunatic's Blade

The Hobgoblin's blade drips with the blood of the unwilling victims who did not fight back.
    Deal bonus damage against enemies that have not damaged you in the past second.
    Damage: 20/40/60/80 bonus damage.
    Usage: Useless in a head-on battle, but gives a large bonus when you play elusively with Carousel and Hop. Works on images, including those created by Masquerade.
    Visual: Bonus damage appears over the enemy's head in red numbers. Special stabbing motion and sound, with a bit of bloodspatter.
    As written this is hardly useless in a head on battle. Understand that most heroes don't get below a 1 second hit rate until well into the 16-20 range. So while by design it shouldn't work with people you're actively fighting, in practice it definitely will. And, additionally, if this works with the images created by hop and carosel it would almost certainly work with the clones made by a Geomancer's bane, in addition to the manaburn effect they have.

Masquerade [Ultimate]

The Hobgoblin's trickery knows no bounds. On occasion, he will leave a mirage of himself, though it kills all too real.
    Whenever you use Carousel or Hop, you leave an image that deals 100% damage. Images have a short period of invulnerability; after that, they may destroyed with a single hit.
    Duration: 9 seconds
    1. 1 second invulnerability.
    2. 2 second invulnerability.
    3. 3 second invulnerability.
    Usage: Synergizes with Lunatic's Blade to create a source of guaranteed damage. Initial invulnerability allows the images to survive in a teambattle or against constant AoE nuking. After the invulnerability, they will die from any source of damage in a single hit.
    Visual: Images appear hazy. When destroyed, they vanish in a puff of red mist.
    I also miss the Phantom Lancer, and this is an interesting and novel idea. However, I'm worried it might be rather starkly polarizing in regards to skill. In the hands of a highly competent player it would be utterly devastating while in the hands of an amateur it would be almost unusable.

My thumb remains undecided.
    Last edited by Darkblade_1; 08-22-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Account Icon
    I see all is fine but one thing. Are you sure that numbers for Lunatic's Blade arent a bit too high? Imagine lane and you are lvl3. Its +60dmg that is like having dd or a bit less. And the victim you are chasing to finish off cannot even hit u. I think this spell needs a rework or reduced numbers.
    Solutions:
    1. Reduce damage which will make this skill useless later in the game and will be only usefull for ganging early/mid
    2. Make it maybe like this:

Same stats but with a bit of a change:
    lvl1: does 20 bonus damage to a unit if hobgoblin hasnt been hit by a single unit for 1 sec
    lvl2: does 40 bonus damage to a unit if hobgoblin hasnt been hit by two units within 1 sec
    lvl3: does 60 bonus damage to a unit if hobgoblin hasnt been hit by three units within 1 sec
    lvl4: does 80 bonus damage to a unit if hobgoblin hasnt been hit by two units within 1 sec

This way he wont be able to chase a hero on lane, and constantly being hit by creeps, dealing bonus damage. Also, makes him imba ganker and good team fight hero since he will most likely be hit from less than 4 sources. I would add any damage not just physical.

Think about it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I can't find any useage for this hero.

From what I've understood from the abilities, he'll be a very strong 1v1 hero. Nevertheless, a slower will have no problem killing you. This lacks any type of escaping/survivability skills.

I will admit this is a cool hero and a very good suggestion. Very creative. (Maybe the best combo of passive skills I've seen so far in HoN.)

I won't vote... yet.

(give me some time thinking.)

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkblade_1 View Post
    Alright, let's do the numbers.

We really need more numbers here. Essentially, stripped of the "turn around" effect, this is a 2 second AoE disable. Granted it's quite flavorful in the whole "everyone spin around" motif however the problem I have with it is it's a 2 second AoE disable every 5 seconds. This combined with his hopping is going to make this hero an absolute monster to get away from. Not to mention that it's dealing 120 damage as well, a nice little farmer.
    Agreed!
    I can see what you mean, but if the Hobgoblins manapool is low enough, he'll be quite balanced out. Even though he'll still be a mean farmer with Hop as lasthitting ability.

-Guybrush Threepwood

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordoix View Post
    I can't find any useage for this hero.

From what I've understood from the abilities, he'll be a very strong 1v1 hero. Nevertheless, a slower will have no problem killing you. This lacks any type of escaping/survivability skills.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    This heroes in 1v1 is not very usefull because u don't have stuns, speed atack etc and if ur ennemy attack you, you don't have the passive so at the final u can only escape^^, versus a madman u die dude

For gank it's can be fun with his blink, illusion and spam Carousel (CD 5s)

In team fight u spam Carousel , carousel, carouseeellllll And see the result

I need to try it !!!
    Last edited by Niokizou; 08-22-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Account Icon
    Great idea. Would love to see this. Inspired by Harlequins from Warhammer 40.000?

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Maybe I didn't understand it but he will leave a mirror image every 5 seconds whenever you are walking? Or only when u hop over someone's head. Also it will be VERY hard to time where u will hop and if u will be able to just hop over a cliff w/e. I really have to see this ingame before I can comment on it. It can fail so badly - same as it can be pure win.
    To anser yer kwestion, I are stupid and close minded, I luv dem 12 monkeys. My faverite movie pert'near! Akord'n to yer dum-dum logic, since I luvs dis here movie and I are stupid and close minded, and you luvs dis movie too, that makes you stupid and close minded like me! Welkum to da club, booboo!

Account Icon
    I have to agree with the other about the hopping.
    It needs to be able to be controlled more easily.
    Also Carousel's cooldown is way too low. :<
    I <3 Efel.

Stuff Made by Yours Truly
    Deadwood Pawnch
    Gauntlet [Unsatisfied with it]
    Engineer's Direction Based Turret
    Riftshard Upgrades

If I don't respond to your pm, it's because I'm currently processing and evaluating other pms.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    I'd rather see it as an active with 5 seconds cooldown but use it whenever you want.
    To anser yer kwestion, I are stupid and close minded, I luv dem 12 monkeys. My faverite movie pert'near! Akord'n to yer dum-dum logic, since I luvs dis here movie and I are stupid and close minded, and you luvs dis movie too, that makes you stupid and close minded like me! Welkum to da club, booboo!

Account Icon
    Nothing more to say then T-Up!

15.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    Account Icon
    I'm going out in a few minutes, but I did want to point out that the 300 range for Hop is a maximum range. So you can at max Hop 300 range, but if you click at, say, 50 range, you'll just do a 50 range hop.

Account Icon
    :3 so many good heroes. Someone should start paying you for this.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    It feels weak Nome, and frustrating to use. 50-150-200-250-300 only the 250-300 seems worthy to use.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Sounds AWESOME. Thumbs up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghidoran View Post
    "A competitive team did it" does not mean it is a good idea.

Account Icon
    Love it.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Great idea for a hero! Always wanted one with Images that continue attacking.
    Assasin from Savage 1 and Savage 2!

I need for the war effort.

How do you change Icon sizes for Dream? PM ME!

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast