Thread: Neva IV results + a question

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    claiming a right is mostly a question of power. it's not about who is morally right, as that notion is a bit of a fiction created by power, when it comes to property claims anyway.

in any case...

the problem here is that people who would want to sponsor tournaments would be discouraged from doing so in the future given that they can expect sites like gr to profit from their tournament with no return. to generalize the problem. "competitive hon" peddles high level games. to do that they need to control the access to the sought after games.

this affects casting sites more than tournament sponsors. but here we are talking about an exclusive deal between a tournament and a casting site. this situation just shows how little power the tourney sponsor and organizer has over their own tournament because of the wild west ways of casting sites and the porous replay system.

someone brought up professional sc and replays. it is no coincidence that the sc industry controls replays, especially tournament replays with an iron grip. if they lose that grip, they would not exist.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Vievi View Post
    It's more the fact that I was outright ignored.

I requested that other casting networks wait 5 days after the event before doing it, if people want to ignore me on that - that's fine.
    Where did you request that?
    Just asking, because anyone could say "i did this and that"

Just checked NEVA 1-4 threads, nothing about that request, the only thing you stated is that Honcast is your exclusive live partner
    Last edited by nineeleven; 05-11-2010 at 02:23 PM.

replays should have a 2 day downloading delay (not for the players/observers.)

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    i like a few of the Honcast casters but they seem really amateur at best. A lot of the times they will say things like "I don't know how that happened." or "wow I just missed that kill". I think what makes a good caster is someone who is very experienced at the game and has a good strong voice. Breakycpk is the only notable caster on HC and hes still fairly new.

I review running any future events past the invitationals - and possibly look at putting the two major events for next month we were planning, on hold.
    If you are so butt hurt over a replay cast that you stop future events, that is your loss. Anybody with a little passion for this game and some sort of business sense can tell there is money to be made here. If you want live coverage of the games themselves done by Honcast alone that's great. But if you want the rights to the replays for however many days then you need to take your stingy requests to S2 and beg them for some sort of delayed replay release.

Stop trying to scare the community into submission with empty threats. In fact, I'm calling your bluff. Pull your money a day before the official release.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Skellington View Post
    Stop trying to scare the community into submission with empty threats. In fact, I'm calling your bluff. Pull your money a day before the official release.
    O no, Skellington is calling Vievi's bluff. WHAT TO DO?!

In all seriousness, there's nothing to gain by going against a potential sponsor's wishes and everything to lose. GR probably lost any chance they had at live streaming any future NEVA tournament games, and if NEVA decides to take their ball and go home everyone in the HoN community loses. The difference between the GR tournament and the NEVA tournament is clear: S2 sponsored GR because no matter who casted it, HoN was promoted as a sport, whereas NEVA has a specific agreement with Honcast and when GR takes their viewers they actually lose.

Did gr stream at the same time as the guys at honcast?

^O no, Vievi smurf proving my point.^

If neva takes their ball there are others that will come. But like I said, you wont stop any tournament. It was a bluff.

I don't know any of the GR people nor am I speaking for them. Don't hold anything I say against them. I just realize what a D-Bag you are and I couldn't take it anymore.

I do not have to provide justification as to why, it just means I review running any future events past the invitationals - and possibly look at putting the two major events for next month we were planning, on hold.
    I'm sorry but that is absolutely ridiculous. You aren't going to win any fans dong something like that.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by j`m View Post
    GR is going to be the reason that S2 might start thinking about putting restrictions on replay downloading. Or certain ones at least. Have to have a password to download designated replays.
    You should look into the GR tournaments casted on Honcast, it was the same practice.

If S2 puts restrictions on downloading replays, it will not be a direct result of GR, because this practice was observed before, the VoDs appear the day after, and will hopefully have all the correct links in them.

Like I said, others will come. And with $40,000 tourneys.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Skellington View Post
    ^O no, Vievi smurf proving my point.^

If neva takes their ball there are others that will come. But like I said, you wont stop any tournament. It was a bluff.

I don't know any of the GR people nor am I speaking for them. Don't hold anything I say against them. I just realize what a D-Bag you are and I couldn't take it anymore.
    Luckily, your opinion is worthless, or HoN would have lost a valuable sponsor for the tournament scene.

Actually we got permission from GR to cast thier previous tournaments from replays. As we let them cast the honcast (honcast 1k tourney) events from replays.

Also Honcast has coverage taken care of for MYM, Alienware Arena (announcement coming this weekend), NEVA, ECO-League, and of course the Gosugamers/Steel series World Cup. We love working with companies willing to promote HoN as an eSport and grow together, GR is nothing different, we would love to help you guys out. I just want to keep our tournament sponsors happy and i would expect the good people at GR to respect the wishes of other organizations helping HoN grow. Anyways, We will be casting live and posting VoD up like always. So with that said, I don't think This is something to be really made too much out of. GR have been asked nicely not to cover the matches for 5 days and there's nothing we can do to stop it, but it does leave a sour taste for organizations and the community who have to see it. Not sure if there is anything S2 plans to do with replay control for the larger tournaments, but Honcast is the largest community for HoN eSports news and coverage, and I plan on keeping it that way!

I'm sure this was a missunderstanding and GR will comply to the tournament sponsors wishes.

Proud to be the first person to officially purchase Heroes of Newerth

Account Icon
    @Hunter: I'm going to resend the email in case they "overlooked it".

Actually we got permission from GR to cast thier previous tournaments from replays. As we let them cast the honcast (honcast 1k tourney) events from replays.
    I don't think you really understand the fact that anybody can cast any replay of any match without anybody's 'permission'. And TBH, I hope GR does cast the above-mentioned tournaments because frankly, they're better (unless Rabbi is paired up with Breaky).

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    lol you guys are children.

Replays are replays. They're not 'property' of anyone. rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by China
    lol you guys are children.

Replays are replays. They're not 'property' of anyone. rofl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von_Moltke
    I don't think you really understand the fact that anybody can cast any replay of any match without anybody's 'permission'. And TBH, I hope GR does cast the above-mentioned tournaments because frankly, they're better (unless Rabbi is paired up with Breaky).
    Quote Originally Posted by HunteR_ View Post
    We love working with companies willing to promote HoN as an eSport and grow together, GR is nothing different, we would love to help you guys out. I just want to keep our tournament sponsors happy and i would expect the good people at GR to respect the wishes of other organizations helping HoN grow. GR have been asked nicely not to cover the matches for 5 days and there's nothing we can do to stop it, but it does leave a sour taste for organizations and the community who have to see it.
    ^snipped some of the quote

I think you should read what HunteR has said rather than jump to a reply. He wants to keep the HoN community / casts growing, of course he wants to keep the people that pay for the tournaments happy and he said there's not much they can do to stop the casts other than asking. He never claimed to own them.

Account Icon
    It's more the fact that I was outright ignored.

I requested that other casting networks wait 5 days after the event before doing it, if people want to ignore me on that - that's fine. I do not have to provide justification as to why, it just means I review running any future events past the invitationals - and possibly look at putting the two major events for next month we were planning, on hold.

Venum, I won't try explaining this to you, since you seem a bit orientated on the idea that this is monopolising the scenario, when this is certainly not the case.

I will not be further replying to this thread.
    Didn't realise that, I requested nicely that people leave the Neva tournament to our exclusive media partner. Oh well, guess respect doesn't count for much anymore.
    LOL Vievi.

Honcast first casted GR tourneys, without GR approving it.

When GR realised there was nothing they could do, they "gave honcast permission".

You should come to the same realisation.

Quote Originally Posted by imabigpoo View Post
    LOL Vievi.

Honcast first casted GR tourneys, without GR approving it.

When GR realised there was nothing they could do, they "gave honcast permission".

You should come to the same realisation.
    Pretty sure that is incorrect.

Breaky approached GR about casting their tournaments. GR wouldn't allow Breaky to cast them live. So Breaky asked about casting from replays and got the approval - then casted them.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonbelew View Post
    Pretty sure that is incorrect.

Breaky approached GR about casting their tournaments. GR wouldn't allow Breaky to cast them live. So Breaky asked about casting from replays and got the approval - then casted them.
    Nope. GameReplays initially did not want honcast to be able to cover replays from their tourneys either. But soon it became obvious that this wasn't gonna be viable so just "let" honcast do it anyway.

Anyway the point is, NEVA should realise that the replays aren't their property.

And Vievi is unfair to slam GR for doing it because essentially, honcast did it first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast