Thread: Pro tip: banning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro tip: banning

I see the same 6 heroes banned every matchmaking that i do: chronos, zephyr, tempest, jerry, hellbringer, and plague.

If you have the first ban, that means that you get the first pick, so try and keep one of those "OP" heroes unbanned for your team to get. I see a lot of people that don't even bother with this. Its always nice to have a tempest on your team.

How do you do this? Ban 2 of the traditional bans, but ban someone else for your third one. The other team's banner will have to choose between the one that you didnt ban and the one that he was suppose to ban anyways, therefore you get the one that was left over.

Banner 1: jerry
    Banner 2: hellbringer
    Banner 1: plague
    Banner 2: chronos
    tempest/zephyr still up
    Banner 1: blood hunter? random
    Banner 2: zephyr

tempest still up

If opponent is smart they will just ban something random as well. Meaning they will also get a strong pick ^_O

Account Icon
    Honestly. Im not trying to bust your balls or anything.
    But tempest isn't as great as people make him out to be. his ult is EXTREMELY easy to counter. and he's very easy to gank if he's jungling.

Nevertheless, OP is making a valid point.
    Tempest is a strong hero with the right teammates, still, even when easily countered. By no means underpowered, and can definitely be a gamechanger - especially when skilled.
    But this is not a tempest discussion. It's a banning discussion.

While I disagree with the bans themselves, this doesnt matter - he's trying to make a point. And the point is good.
    This is the very basics of banning - which beginners can make use of. Try to do this - if the other banner is a beginner aswell he will probably not know enough to do as G4M3 suggested.
    Well, It's the very basics, but It's a start to make people realize that banning is very strategic.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercfh View Post
    Honestly. Im not trying to bust your balls or anything.
    But tempest isn't as great as people make him out to be. his ult is EXTREMELY easy to counter. and he's very easy to gank if he's jungling.
    I've always felt this too. His ult can be 'clutch' in winning a game you aren't doing so well, but personally i just find a nice who hangs back a little fixes most of my tempest problems.

@ O.P I see the same thing game after game, people just ban who they think is powerful with no regards towards building a team. Most of my favourite MatchMaking games involve banning the "anti-push" and then picking up the pushers/aoe that are left.

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Banning Chronos is wasting a ban.

Account Icon
    banning Tempest, Chronos or Zephyr are wasted, none of them are the powerhouses they once were.

are the bans you should be looking for, Corrupted because he is god tier when mid, swiftblade because he is such a versatile carry, polly and slither to prevent the team from pushing hard.

Even is not banned that often, he is one dimensional and easy to counter with or :NullfireBlade:, and are nearly always chosen over him.
    Last edited by Pyrate; 04-19-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Its Hammertime

Account Icon
    Chat Symbol
    Yeah, you get your Tempest FP, and oppose Swiftblade Slither - they just won the Game. Bad luck.

E: It's about as "Pro Tip" as "Pro Tip: Buy Regen Items to lane" is. Actually, less. Far less. Nvm.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post
    Yeah, you get your Tempest FP, and oppose Swiftblade Slither - they just won the Game. Bad luck.

E: It's about as "Pro Tip" as "Pro Tip: Buy Regen Items to lane" is. Actually, less. Far less. Nvm.
    I remember something like MSI losing swiftblade+plague lane to pesti+dsham lane...

G4M3 has the best comment yet Though if he's smart he won't just ban random heroes, he'll ban the typical I-solo-carry-the-game corrupted disciple or someone like him.

Keep in mind that so-called 'God Tier' or Powerhouse heroes will vary depending on the skill level of the players.

The point of the OP is show that if you have a First Ban, you can ban in such a way to improve your chances of getting a 'Powerhouse' hero.

Account Icon
    Ban defiler or accursed instead of the random.

Account Icon
    Tempest is an average support at best. Most competitive games neither ban him or pick him, these days.

Most of the time he is dead weight on a team, unless you have the right line up for him.

With the prevalence of Tempest counters, including a cheap available item, Tempest's role is less "blink and win" and more roaming jungle ganker who, in late game, uses his ultimate after some CC has already been spent, ideally catching the remaining CCers and turning a team battle around.
    To do the above job properly takes skill, and when you see a good Tempest in a vod you're actually impressed. People underrate him because he's no longer firstpick/ban material, but he's just balanced.

oh also his elementals eat towers if allowed to
    Last edited by light_rain; 04-19-2010 at 10:58 PM.

I don't think I've ever seen a Honcast where Slither wasn't banned- who I'd love to see played at a competitive level. Swiftblade, Pollywog, Defiler, Accursed and Hellbringer seem to get the ban the vast majority of the time.

Played a few pubs and was surprised to see Chronos and Tempest always getting the insta ban. I guess they're just more dangerous in Noob play that the standard high level push bans?

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Setcamper View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a Honcast where Slither wasn't banned- who I'd love to see played at a competitive level. Swiftblade, Pollywog, Defiler, Accursed and Hellbringer seem to get the ban the vast majority of the time.

Played a few pubs and was surprised to see Chronos and Tempest always getting the insta ban. I guess they're just more dangerous in Noob play that the standard high level push bans?

I've seen a slither/swiftblade lane on HoNCast. The Swiftblade approximately a bajillion kills and carried his team to victory.

Its often better to leave hereos like tempest and jera unbanned when the enemy team has firstpick and use the bans on other hereos depending on your ideas of a lineup as long as the counters are still in.
    Let the other team pick tempest when vindi is on the board, just to get your team better picks that are not that easy to counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
    - If you have a Scout on your team, and he hasn't spent any points in electric eye, feel free to insult his mother.

Those six are frequently banned, but I've really only played against one Chronos that really crushed us. Slither and Swiftblade are also common bans, sometimes Soul Stealer as well. I personally have seen so little of Hellbringer because of bans or people not playing him, but in the game i HAVE seen him in, I don't even know what the big deal is.

Quite simply, you haven't seen a strong Hellbringer.
    He shuts down his lane, then stays strong in the midgame and turns fights with his aoe magic armour debuff (-6 means magic damage is slightly better than pure damage against heroes with no additional magic armour) and his huuuuuge aoe, long cast range, superior magic 1 second stun.
    Hellbringer is an ideal holder of Puzzlebox, the best item in the game, and a Hellbringer who combos Life Void with Barbed Armour has effectively 32% damage reduction against anyone with the Void on them, while also dealing 80% of damage dealt to him. His stats and attack range are good. He has very few weaknesses outside of purge effects, especially Nullfire Blade which one-shots his ultimate, but usually his 'job' of helping his team win the early game is over with by the time that item becomes a problem for him.

He's a strong first pick because he basically never hurts your lanes, as any lane he is in is a strong lane, and his survivability in large teamfights means he's not likely to be a liability to the team.

Frankly, if my pubbie captain is good enough to make these bans, I consider myself fortunate.

Credit to Devious`, with thanks to AvunaOs for my last signature

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpes View Post

How to get rolled in the lane by Slither/Swift and still win Match 40699431

(Granted the guys playing Slither/Swift were 1750 EM pubstars)

Edit: Lesson here is that it's OK to give up slither/swift when your opponents are terrible. Sometimes you need to ban according to who the best player on the other team is, not just blindly autoban.
    Last edited by TreeHorse; 04-21-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    New to Heroes of Newerth? Find help in the Training Grounds.

TreeHorse is not an employee of S2 Games. Be warned: He will rage at you.