Thread: How to stream Heroes of Newerth (and other) games (justin.tv)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

How to stream Heroes of Newerth (and other) games (justin.tv)

I am making this post as a tutorial for streaming through Flash Media Encoder, VH Screen Capture and Justin TV. The main intent of this tutorial is to teach the other (and prospective) broadcasters on my channel at www.justin.tv/libertiordeth how to stream properly, with a secondary attempt at appeasing those who have posted here/my channel asking how to stream, or at the quality which I and my other broadcasters can. A video tutorial (thanks to BreakyCPK) can be found here:
    http://hon.esportmedia.com/video/201...-or-record-hon

Software You Will Need:

Flash Media Encoder (Free)
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashm...hmediaencoder/
    VH Screen Capture (Again, free)
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ure_Driver.htm
    A Justin.tv Account (And of course, free)
    http://www.justin.tv

Preliminary Audio Setup:
    Note: I am using Windows 7, and as such my settings/names might be slightly different than yours. In light of this you will have to compensate for such differences yourself.

In order to stream both your outbound and inbound sound (such as music and your microphone) you will need a sound mixer, either a physical sound mixer or the ability to enable it through your sound card. To check this, go to Recording Devices (by right-clicking the sound icon in the bottom right corner of your screen) and proceed to right-click the program, selecting "show disabled devices" at which time it should show the Stereo Mix icon, which you would want to enable. You also need to enable Microphone.

Pro Tip #1:
    To allow your microphone and sound to be heard through the stream, select Microphone while in Recording Devices and under the "listen" tab check "Listen to this device."

Computer Requirements:

In order to properly stream (and at the quality/level that I would deem worthy of streaming) you must meet these minimum specifications (roughly deduced since there are numerous variants in stream quality).

Quad Core Processor, preferably i5 or higher if Intel and Phenom 2 or higher if ATI.
    2 GB ram if little else is running besides the necessary programs, although 4 GB ram is a much more comfortable amount.
    Video card at least able to run HoN easily with a good frame rate.
    Internet with minimum 1 Mbits/s download and 1.5 Mbits/s upload.

Flash Media Encoder:

Pro Tip #2:
    If you can run your stream otherwise but are maxing out your CPU usage, try using Flash Media Encoder 2.5 with the command line option, as it will be less CPU-intensive. Instructions can be found at:
    http://multiboxing.com/forums/f2/exact-way-stream-fme-jtv-read-1116.html

The flash media encoder options will vary depending on the specifications for your internet/computer. With good specifications you should be aiming to get 25-30 fps with at least a 1500 bitrate, although it is possible to use as little as 500 and still stream. I will post my settings, but you will need to play around with the program to figure out what you need.

Pro Tip #3:
    The closer your resolution ratio is to the ratio of the resolution you set in FME the less "fuzzy" your stream will look.

If your monitor resolution is equal to or higher than the resolutions listed, you will have to use one of those available, attempting to maintain the ratio from your current monitor to that set in FME as much as possible. If lower than the listed resolutions choose your resolution, or the closest one below it in that ratio.

To find out your stream URL name to input in FME go this link and follow the onscreen instructions.
    http://www.justin.tv/broadcast/advanced#r=BfPWZEo~

Pro Tip #4:
    Never give out the stream ID that your XML page shows unless you are allowing that person to broadcast on your channel (a very risky endeavor).

VH Screen Capture:

The VH screen capture options will depend on your preferences/capabilities, but the screenshot I have shows fairly default settings for this type of use of VH Screen Capture. However, the output size should be your monitor's resolution.
    If you would like to only show, for example, Heroes of Newerth and nothing else even if your screen is showing other tasks or if you switch to a different task, you can have it track the window. although some programs( particularly those run through Steam at times) might not be recognized if in full screen mode. Check "track screen" if you just want the viewers to see the stream exactly how you do.

Hope you all enjoyed this tutorial, feel free to post any questions you might have.

Last edited by LibrtiORDeth; 03-01-2011 at 03:17 AM.

S2 Staff Member S2 Games Staff
    bravo.... I always get asked this question online and I usually have to just shrug it off because there are many steps involved. But now I can just refer them to this site, I was thinking of doing something like this myself as well but glad you took the initiative instead!

Also, here is a link to how to go more in-depth with FME and try to record / cast in higher quality: http://multiboxing.com/forums/f2/exa...read-1116.html
    Last edited by breakycpk; 04-21-2010 at 10:00 PM.

S2 Games: Dedicated employees serving dedicated gamers. Continuous development. Never-ending improvement.
    -----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by breakycpk View Post
    bravo.... I always get asked this question online and I usually have to just shrug it off because there are many steps involved. But now I can just refer them to this site, I was thinking of doing something like this myself as well but glad you took the initiative instead!
    The S2 forums had a similar thread, but mine is adjusted to be more modern/exact for HoN so I figured it was needed.

Account Icon
    i cant seem to stream the hon.
    i triend to stream one of my replay, but the one that show up is my browser.

Quote Originally Posted by TEH``NEWB View Post
    i cant seem to stream the hon.
    i triend to stream one of my replay, but the one that show up is my browser.
    Sounds like a problem with VH screen capture.

Account Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by LibrtiORDeth View Post
    Sounds like a problem with VH screen capture.
    i guess?

Man I wish I had the upstream for this. I wonder if I can make BT give me more.

Yeah, yeah, I'm working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEH``NEWB View Post
    i guess?
    Add me on steam (LibertiORDeth) or message me here and I can see what I can do to help.

Account Icon
    I got no steam.
    check my justintv.
    /dndpllld.

anyone got a Mac tut for this set up?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhourj2 View Post
    anyone got a Mac tut for this set up?
    If someone who has done this on a Mac would like to work with me on it I could add a Mac section. However, I don't imagine it involves much you can't figure out as there is a FME Mac download and should be a VH Screen Capture download, figure out your audio options if they're and you should be set. Or, be a normal gamer and buy a PC.

Great tutorial LibrtiORDeth

What I would suggest is that you run HoN in windowed mode in 1280x720 and record in that same resolution, but don't track a window, but setup the manually which part of the screen you would like to capture.

HonReplays.org // Everything about Heroes of Newerth in one place

VoDs / Replays / Forums / Beginner's Guide / Events Replays / Strategies / Tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by kustodian View Post
    Great tutorial LibrtiORDeth

What I would suggest is that you run HoN in windowed mode in 1280x720 and record in that same resolution, but don't track a window, but setup the manually which part of the screen you would like to capture.
    Playing like that is horrid, and I generally play while I stream as opposed to observing. However, for spectating as you probably do it works good.

Quote Originally Posted by LibrtiORDeth View Post
    Playing like that is horrid, and I generally play while I stream as opposed to observing. However, for spectating as you probably do it works good.
    Yeah, I was thinking of spectating, not playing like that

VoDs / Replays / Forums / Beginner's Guide / Events Replays / Strategies / Tournaments

Account Icon
    So we can't stream HoN in full screen mode but only windowed mode?
    It is a little hard for me since I use 2 monitors, so the mouse is a little hard to move since it will continue to go to the extend screen if i move my mouse to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by iChao View Post
    So we can't stream HoN in full screen mode but only windowed mode?
    It is a little hard for me since I use 2 monitors, so the mouse is a little hard to move since it will continue to go to the extend screen if i move my mouse to the left.
    Hon grabs the mouse, so it's not a problem if it is in windowed mode.

Account Icon
    Then maybe there's something wrong with my pc or something.
    I got the stream works out fine, but when I play in 1600x900 mode, HoN doesn't grab my mouse to the left and bot (I'm guessing because 1600x900 is also my monitor resolution), but in 1280x720, it works fine. 1280x720 is great for replay casting indeed, but too small (and ingame graphic is too up close) for playing. I wonder if there's any way to fix this.

I did what the OP suggest: use "Track screen", but it doesn't work with HoN fullscreen, and since I use 2 monitors, it tracks the whole 2 screens.

Quote Originally Posted by iChao View Post
    Then maybe there's something wrong with my pc or something.
    I got the stream works out fine, but when I play in 1600x900 mode, HoN doesn't grab my mouse to the left and bot (I'm guessing because 1600x900 is also my monitor resolution), but in 1280x720, it works fine. 1280x720 is great for replay casting indeed, but too small (and ingame graphic is too up close) for playing. I wonder if there's any way to fix this.

I did what the OP suggest: use "Track screen", but it doesn't work with HoN fullscreen, and since I use 2 monitors, it tracks the whole 2 screens.
    Message me on Steam or JTV if you can and I'll try to help.

Account Icon
    Okay so, when I use this.. Only the "About" tab is being shown. :/
    My suggestion for DREAM
    My suggestion for BOTS
    Check my LIST OF ALREADY PORTED HEROES

Some guy doing the hero voices! FUNNEH
    Learn to play

I M P R E S S I V E

Quote Originally Posted by Shen View Post
    Okay so, when I use this.. Only the "About" tab is being shown. :/
    That doesn't make any sense, try to re-download and install it.