PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming Stone double click

Rocksteady
08-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Left clicking twice on a homecoming stone in your inventory should automatically target the teleport to the fountain. This would also be extended to hotkeys, so if the item is in the Alt-S position, Alt-S-S would teleport you back to the fountain.

Warcraft 3 had this feature for teleporting to base.

FuzzyWuzzy
08-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Make this also for the Portal Key, double clicking it should blink you in the direction of the fountain.

_Archangel_
08-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Not for Portal Key please. Imagine playing Behemoth and accidentally doubletapping your Portal Key hotkey during enemy push.

Homecoming Stone, T-Up

Qwernakus
08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Support and agreement!

Rippsy
08-06-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice idea; I like this very much :)

IntErlIdEr
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I agree with OP and disagree with the idea of adding to this Portal Key for the reasons expressed above.

~IntEr

ElementUser
08-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Only agree with the Homecoming Stone feature

JohnEPorro
08-06-2009, 10:50 AM
+1 for the homecoming

xxzxcuzx_me
08-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Only for tp :)

Nigglet
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I like it for portal key too. Its like that in dota, should be like that in hon as well :) Since its so slow to move your screen its an effective way to retreat the instant you see enemy heroes ganging you!

lobster
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
please dont do this. it will just make missclick more common

VornVolken
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes please!

BodyHammer
08-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Uh, years of tradition disproves this statement. Not to mention there is no realistic situation where you would ever need to "accidently" double click this item.

Please implement.

vursed
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I like it the way it is now, imo

08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
you could still ofcourse do it the regular way, this is just a little shortcut.

livmew
08-06-2009, 01:01 PM
+1

I didn't even know you had this in dota?

BananaLove1
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
+1 message too short :/

Suiraclaw
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Cool idea :) .

Sai
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
You guys are wrong, what it does is target the spot where you acquired the item. If you bought it at the outpost, it wouldn't work. If you got a blink dagger at the outpost, it would blink towards there. You could also drop it and re pick it up to change the location it targeted.

fmlftw
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM

I definitely agree here.

Adding this option would only benefit those who are unskilled, meaning your'e scaling the level of play down.

If you can't hit Alt + A or 1, then the fountain on the minimap fast enough, you should practice that instead of trying to change the game.

Missclicking a portal could mean the outcome of a game. Instead of teleporting to defend a tower, you end up going to the fountain. Even worse with Post Haste. You try to teleport to help an ally or gank, but end up going to your fountain.

No thanks.

TheConquero1
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree, since I was used to be able to double click Scroll of Town Portal in warcraft 3 games, it was good for DotA, and I would appreciate it for HoN.

I disagree for portal key, as that is not typically applied to mindlessly teleport towards the base except for travel purposes. You can spare the time to look ahead. There would be pathing issues, getting teleported into dead ends, onto cliffs, into trees (there ARE some spots in the trees you can get stuck), etc.

BeMyFeeder
08-06-2009, 05:03 PM
yet another "please make this easier for me" post. at least it's not that a big deal.. sure why not.. could be useful, saves you the half a second it takes u to move your mouse on the minimap and click the fountain area:)

fmlftw
08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
yet another "please make this easier for me" post. at least it's not that a big deal.. sure why not.. could be useful, saves you the half a second it takes u to move your mouse on the minimap and click the fountain area:)

I am glad at least someone else is of the same mindset I am.

I didn't mean to be condescending in my previous post, but BeMyFeeder summarized it pretty well.

ElementUser
08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I am glad at least someone else is of the same mindset I am.

I didn't mean to be condescending in my previous post, but BeMyFeeder summarized it pretty well.

That half-a-second/full second can be the difference between life or death from DoTs (say, Slither's Poison Spray+Toxicity debuff+his ultimate's debuff on you all active at once) and of course enemy ganks (when their stuns are on cooldown and you need each and every millisecond to escape from the gank). You have to aim at the fountain, and sometimes you don't have all the time in the world to aim correctly (sometimes you TP to the World Tree or another building just outside the fountain, and you won't make it in time).

fmlftw
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
That half-a-second/full second can be the difference between life or death from DoTs (say, Slither's Poison Spray+Toxicity debuff+his ultimate's debuff on you all active at once) and of course enemy ganks (when their stuns are on cooldown and you need each and every millisecond to escape from the gank). You have to aim at the fountain, and sometimes you don't have all the time in the world to aim correctly (sometimes you TP to the World Tree or another building just outside the fountain, and you won't make it in time).

Good point, but still if you practice, you could be just as fast with or without this addition, and if you make this one aspect of the game easier, why not another? And another? Where do you draw the line? Because if you keep progressively making things easier, learning the game becomes boring because everyone's "skill" level will be so high.

spudwinkle
08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
+1 homecoming
-1 portal key

KARTlK
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
You guys are wrong, what it does is target the spot where you acquired the item. If you bought it at the outpost, it wouldn't work. If you got a blink dagger at the outpost, it would blink towards there. You could also drop it and re pick it up to change the location it targeted.

Not in ladder :(

fmlftw
08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
+1 homecoming
-1 portal key

I have completely skimmed over the portal key part. Portal key = blink dagger, yes?

If so, double click to auto-blink towards your fountain is a HORRID idea. With the Homecoming Stone/Post Haste, the double click idea is only viable because for me, I always use the minimap to direct my Homecoming Stone.

But with Blink Dagger, I use the actual map and if I am chasing someone and I am about to blink in front of them, and I accidentally double click and blink backwards instead, I would be pissed.

Homecoming Stone/Post Haste: maybe
Portal Key: No thanks.

Rocksteady
08-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I have completely skimmed over the portal key part. Portal key = blink dagger, yes?

If so, double click to auto-blink towards your fountain is a HORRID idea. With the Homecoming Stone/Post Haste, the double click idea is only viable because for me, I always use the minimap to direct my Homecoming Stone.

But with Blink Dagger, I use the actual map and if I am chasing someone and I am about to blink in front of them, and I accidentally double click and blink backwards instead, I would be pissed.

Homecoming Stone/Post Haste: maybe
Portal Key: No thanks.
It would not blink you towards the fountain, it would blink the maximum distance away from where your hero is facing.

Good point, but still if you practice, you could be just as fast with or without this addition, and if you make this one aspect of the game easier, why not another? And another? Where do you draw the line? Because if you keep progressively making things easier, learning the game becomes boring because everyone's "skill" level will be so high.
Yeah, because that's what defines skill in this game, being able to click on a minimap.

Kaushal
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM

Ah... the age-old argument comes up again, but this time it's in HoN.

I tend to favor the efficiency argument, and here are my reasons (Long post ahead).

1. HoN already employs a numerous amount of shortcuts.

For example, I recently changed my binds so that I can trigger my first item using the 'z' key. I usually put my phase boots in the first slot, so I can easily hit z to turn phase on. Now, imagine if you had to click the phase boots manually... that would be slower and more cumbersome. Of course, if I practiced, I would get better at clicking the phase boots manually, but why shouldn't we just avoid this whole situation by creating an easy hotkey.

2. Technical skills (i.e. skills that require no strategic/tactical elements) should be reduced in order to allow players to focus on strategic skills.

For my next example, let's compare Starcraft to Warcraft III. In War3, you can auto-rally your workers to a mine, whereas in Starcraft, you have to manually assign your workers to minerals. Now, assigning workers to minerals is a skill, and this skill does require a lot of practice (especially when you have to macro your workers while maneuvering your field armies), but in the end, it is a purely technical skill that only distracts you from the more strategic elements of the game. Blizzard apparently agrees with me on this because they are implementing an auto-rally system in Starcraft 2. So, it seems that tactical skills > technical skills.

3. There is only one consequence to implementing the double-click idea.

The single consequence to this idea is that players may double-click the tp by accident. Now, I have never done this in all my days of playing Footmen Frenzy (a sweet wc3 map), but I am fully aware that I do not speak for every player out there. So, if this double click idea starts to screw people big time, then maybe it can become a triple-click or a quadruple-click. I can definitely say that a quadruple-spam-click is faster than the current option for tping.

Also, double clicking a tp is kinda like accidentally hotkeying your ult or something similar to that. Mistakes happen... but that shouldn't be a reason to shoot down this excellent idea (or hotkeys for ults).

4. There are multiple benefits to implementing this idea.

For starters, it's a hell of a lot faster, especially for those players with clunkier, slower mouses. Also, it's better for people who aren't as dexterous (e.g. casual gamers). Finally, it is just another step forward in making the game more efficient, more strategy-based, and more streamlined. Honestly, in an ideal world, I would want to be able to game with my mind, so that all of this needless clicking and button-mashing would be cast aside in favor of more strategic gameplay... but one can only dream...

Kaushal
08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Also, let it be known that I DO NOT support the double-click portal key idea. That would create too many problems (getting stuck would be one main concern).

RHS
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I love how everybody comments that double click Portal Key would be a terrible idea... as if this was not implemented already in DotA, and nobody ever complains about it OR and nobody ever misclicks it.

fmlftw
08-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Ah... the age-old argument comes up again, but this time it's in HoN.

I tend to favor the efficiency argument, and here are my reasons (Long post ahead).

1. HoN already employs a numerous amount of shortcuts.

For example, I recently changed my binds so that I can trigger my first item using the 'z' key. I usually put my phase boots in the first slot, so I can easily hit z to turn phase on. Now, imagine if you had to click the phase boots manually... that would be slower and more cumbersome. Of course, if I practiced, I would get better at clicking the phase boots manually, but why shouldn't we just avoid this whole situation by creating an easy hotkey.

2. Technical skills (i.e. skills that require no strategic/tactical elements) should be reduced in order to allow players to focus on strategic skills.

For my next example, let's compare Starcraft to Warcraft III. In War3, you can auto-rally your workers to a mine, whereas in Starcraft, you have to manually assign your workers to minerals. Now, assigning workers to minerals is a skill, and this skill does require a lot of practice (especially when you have to macro your workers while maneuvering your field armies), but in the end, it is a purely technical skill that only distracts you from the more strategic elements of the game. Blizzard apparently agrees with me on this because they are implementing an auto-rally system in Starcraft 2. So, it seems that tactical skills > technical skills.

3. There is only one consequence to implementing the double-click idea.

The single consequence to this idea is that players may double-click the tp by accident. Now, I have never done this in all my days of playing Footmen Frenzy (a sweet wc3 map), but I am fully aware that I do not speak for every player out there. So, if this double click idea starts to screw people big time, then maybe it can become a triple-click or a quadruple-click. I can definitely say that a quadruple-spam-click is faster than the current option for tping.

Also, double clicking a tp is kinda like accidentally hotkeying your ult or something similar to that. Mistakes happen... but that shouldn't be a reason to shoot down this excellent idea (or hotkeys for ults).

4. There are multiple benefits to implementing this idea.

For starters, it's a hell of a lot faster, especially for those players with clunkier, slower mouses. Also, it's better for people who aren't as dexterous (e.g. casual gamers). Finally, it is just another step forward in making the game more efficient, more strategy-based, and more streamlined. Honestly, in an ideal world, I would want to be able to game with my mind, so that all of this needless clicking and button-mashing would be cast aside in favor of more strategic gameplay... but one can only dream...

You mentioned binds. Well wouldn't it be easier to always keep your Homecoming Stone on, say, slot 1, then bind slot 1 to something and then that would be easier (for those that have more clunky mouses or are less dexterous) than moving your mouse all the way down and having to double click. All you would end up doing would be going straight from the map to the minimap which is the same motion you would be doing to go to double click.

The_LuKa1
08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
+1

/signed

zzSleeper
08-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Agree with double-click on homecoming stone.

BleBla
08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
very nice Idea, +1