PDA

View Full Version : Kraken and his ult

Sepha
01-19-2010, 03:06 PM
One thing i've played against and with in HoN is a good kraken who knows how to ult and how unstoppable it is in team fights. I have seen krakens single handedly winning games with their ult, and have single handedly won a game with using it after my whole team fed early in the game.

Kraken's ult essentially allows you to 5vs however many he's able to pull in, and also puts kraken's allies in a position where they can cast off all their aoe abilities on the entire enemy team. So you get stunlocked the second you're ulted if you have a pebbles or tempest on the team, you won't be able to activate your bkb or thorned armor to counter kraken and then you die.

I am trying to figure out some sort of way to beat this dilemma with kraken but I can't come up with any tactic that counters it. Do you have experience at beating krakens ult? If so then pleas post.

Also i'm talking about a portal key kraken ofc, stunning is out of the question.

Mark`
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
stun kraken

Sepha
01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
stun kraken
Portal key.

Mark`
01-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Portal key.

sand wraith and/or mock

sHoWTiMe
01-19-2010, 03:09 PM
If he gets a portal key, it's becoming serious business.

Before that there is no problem.

But if he does, my best advice is to ward, ward and ward!

So you can see whenever he's going to cast his ultimate, if you have a pharaoh, you can use ultimate to cancel his ultimate and stuff like that.

Mark`
01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Oh, by the way, I think Whirlpool is superior magic. No BKB against it.

dreamex
01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
:vind::thun::sand:

Sepha
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
:vind::thun::sand:
For all of them to help, you'd have to actually know beforehand when kraken is ulting, which can only be achieved by line of sight, so kraken still wins.

Mark`
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
For all of them to help, you'd have to actually know beforehand when kraken is ulting, which can only be achieved by line of sight, so kraken still wins.

Not exactly. You can often guess an initiation is imminent. You don't have to see him directly to know.

dreamex
01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Initiate on Kraken and he cannot do anything.

Whalecore
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Agree, awesome hero. Most played after Hellbringer.

Rushing portal key on Kraken since 1743

TreeHorse
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM

He can still pull your initiator and anyone within range about 1000 units away.

Sepha
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Initiating on kraken when all he needs to do is stand between your 2 base towers, ult, charge, portal in and ruin your push, isn't really possible unless your whole team has a portal key.

Point is, when trying to push the base, kraken is always going to be able to ult you inside and take out 2-3 players then mop up the rest.

Credge
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
The counter to a portal key Kraken is to be bunched up and have an aoe stun/disabler, such as KOTF, Hammerstorm, or Pebbles and cast it as soon as it clicks.

It's risky, but other than simply out playing them, that's your best bet.

Or, a Chronos.

SolidStroke
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
The counter to a portal key Kraken is to be bunched up and have an aoe stun/disabler, such as KOTF, Hammerstorm, or Pebbles and cast it as soon as it clicks.

It's risky, but other than simply out playing them, that's your best bet.

Or, a Chronos.

Soulstealer ULT (if you aren't stunned (unlikely)

Iseldiera
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I would have to agree with the poster who says it is not possible to have the reflexes to interrupt his pre-ult charge/blink in the heat of the battle. However for his ult to be super devastating, Kraken will need his allies abilities to disable/outright pwn the "sucked party". So for this reason in my opnion, Vindicator will be able to at least counter this disable/pwn phase, and for the 4-5 seconds after the whirlpool, ur team will have the chance to respond and will only suffer the movement/armor penalty.

Vindicator's silence will prevent that Tempest/Magmus ult, or the aoe of Pebbles, after your party's sucked.

Darxio
01-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Ride the Whirlpool and unleash all your ults on arrival.

Behemoth, Keeper of the Forest and Hellbringer are all good candidates for riding the whirlpool for fun on the other end.

xpK
01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
:Stormspirit:

CheshireCat
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Keep out of sight. If the whole team is standing fully visible in a huddle your just as vulnurable to any AoE initiatior with Portal Key, Kraken is not any special in that matter.

Wonderfail
01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
:phar:

Extreme_Cake
01-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Initiate first, or have everyone pile in on him and rape them the other end (inadvisable).

JailbaitKing
01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Does NH's cloud cancel out his ult?

Passive
01-20-2010, 02:43 AM
tablet of command / stormspirit / stun

thats of course if u will have a split second before u get ported into his ult, oh and, spread out?

just like playing vs a tempest

Apostate
01-20-2010, 02:53 AM
I assume that you are placing Kraken on a turtling team in your scenario. In which case, turtle back. Engineer's ult is excellent for Kraken, because when he sucks you in you just pop the ult on the other end and voila, you just caught the whole enemy team.

Staying out of sight and initiating before they can is also a good idea. If you can have your initiator get in there first then Kraken's ult will not be able to do what it does best.

Shwin
01-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Keep out of sight. If the whole team is standing fully visible in a huddle your just as vulnurable to any AoE initiatior with Portal Key, Kraken is not any special in that matter.

However, you'd want to do this so ALL FIVE of ur heros get sucked in, then have a vindi silence everyone and go apeshit on them.

BarneyGumbal
01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Pick Behemoth and make sure you're in Kraken's ult.

Results are hilarious.

Melchizedek
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Make sure either everyone or no-one gets sucked in.

Khise
01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
best things to counter imo, stormspirti either kraken or urself when he comes, or behemoth fissure stun, it stuns and blocks the path. unless kraken exactly knows where u are and insta-returns with his ulti after portal. But usually krakens try to adjust so they get as many people as they can which gives u a few invaluable seconds.

high61
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
best things to counter imo, stormspirti either kraken or urself when he comes, or behemoth fissure stun, it stuns and blocks the path. unless kraken exactly knows where u are and insta-returns with his ulti after portal. But usually krakens try to adjust so they get as many people as they can which gives u a few invaluable seconds.

I highly doubt you have the reflexes to pull that off. I would imagine he would blink just as it is finishing or force it to return soon as he blinks.

Sauron`
01-20-2010, 12:42 PM
wards counters him. so you'll know where he's going to come from

fleetze
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
As an avid Kraken player, the single most annoying counter I've seen is Jeraziah:jera:. His ulti can help survive a good pull.

A distant second is Behemoth:behe:, because while in theorycraft his ulti can devastate a well executed pull, for the most part this will not be the case. The reason for this is, unless you're in super ninja serious high level play, you will not have all 4 of your teammates waiting on you at the other end of the portal. Usually they join in a few seconds later, in my experience.

I usually throw both opponents and teammates for a loop when I ulti at the second tower to the supers. This is outside the maximum ulti range, but what happens is as soon as you blink in you are pulled back instantly and still pull opponents with you. This disorients everyone so I ping to my teammates.

01-20-2010, 03:29 PM

lol.

An experienced kraken isn't gonna ult right in the open. He's gonna be behind fog somewhere hidden with a portal key.

That's why the people above said wards.

JewishNinja
01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
one more thing you can do is wards + vindicator. You see kraken start ult, you ult as vindi. He wastes ult, yuo guys pushed.

You need deep wards for this though.

Vindi however does make it so after krakens ult your team doesnt get instantly butt****ed and your team has a chance to engi ult and what not.

jay`t
01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
make sure the enemy team doesnt get kraken + vindicator

you'll be sad

i promise

i know :(

dreamex
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
lol.

An experienced kraken isn't gonna ult right in the open. He's gonna be behind fog somewhere hidden with a portal key.

That's why the people above said wards.

The idea is that you cannot play passively against a team with Kraken, especially during pushes.

You have to initiate on his team and force them to react to you. Kraken cannot portal once you have any damage on him and :sand::vind::thun: are all great openers to initiate with.

engoldin
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
So far as I can tell, Kraken's ult is the only ability in the game without a true counter.

This is because irrespective of whether he manages to whirlpool a couple or the lot, the other team is at a severe disadvantage (stacked, slowed, vulnerable to ae, seperated from creeps, or seperated from each other). Victory conditions are generous.

If a Kraken is running port key, it is severely unlikely that your team will have enough time to stun him before he triggers whirlpool... which is why many players suggest that you counter by port keying out... (fast cast time, perhaps fast enough to escape trigger.

However, I believe that a "radiance" on kraken would prevent even this countermeasure. And, even if this doesn't work, Kraken is forcing many heroes to sacrifice an item slot that they might have used for something better.

Broliath
01-23-2010, 03:30 PM
:keep::legi::jera::vind::sand::thun:

man_guy
01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
The typical late game Kraken pull, in my experience, is in the base between the racks and the throne. How are you going to ward for that when towers get vision of wards?

Drasha
01-23-2010, 07:10 PM
fun fact if your storm spirit your self krakens ult won't be able to pull you in.

Gipp
01-23-2010, 08:30 PM
or just bait his ult by "pushing" then backing off when you think he has used it.

other then that, not much of a counter unless you are good at predicting initiators with thunderbringer or sand wraith.

spreading out isnt as effective as it is vs tempest, he will still grab one person