PDA

View Full Version : Giving items

Kazie
07-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Okay so i've been playing a lot with mentees(what's a mentee? (http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=3800)) lately and we had a good game yesterday. However, i was going around with a lot of money as the main carry of the team and i more or less had what i needed and i decided to buy some items for the one of the mentees who had a hard time farming for his item.

But what good is it to be able to give items to a teammate, when the item is disabled and belongs to you even tho you willingly gave it to your team mate? ..

I think it's useless that you can trade items when they can't be used, what's the point then? ..

I suggest that you make a "give" feature, that will literally transfer the ownership of an item to your teammate so you can help each other..
If the player is still online ("not terminated") a dialog should popup when your item is placed in another placers inventory from your own team.
If you are disconnected however, it should still be your item.

I was very disapointed that i couldn't even help a teammate in a game that resolves around team work.

-Kazie

Rippsy
07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
The problem with being able to give items to team mates makes it very easy to stack a single hero into becomming unstoppable and changes the game play significently.

Imagine Madman having items from 4 heroes and his own gold? It's a balance fix to stop people pooling items. I think it would be far more unfair if you COULD help a player already at an advantage.

ReijiMaigo
07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
The issue with this, which was what spawned the ownership system in DotA and thus HoN in the first place, was pooling. Of course, itemstealing was an issue as well, but more or less: Nearly any game could be won if everyone gave their items to a specified late-gamer, who would then become overfarmed. Sure, goodwill and all that, but there are other ways to help out your teammates, ones that does in no way provide means of abuse.

Edit: Man, Rippsy, too quick.

Nome
07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
The point of allies being able to pick up other players' items is so they can ferry each other items courier style.

EDIT:
Fun piece of DotA history: back when pooling was allowed, the dominate strategy was for the entire team to pool the carry an Aegis (single charge of respawn-on-death back when it was a buildable item) and Divine Rapier (Doombringer). Games basically ended up Sniper vs Clinkz/Medusa (all unported), and all the other heroes were worthless by the end.

ReijiMaigo
07-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Actually, Aegis was a three-charges item, making it all the more imbalanced. Also, it teleported you back to base after the reincarnation triggered. Good old days.

_M_M_
07-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Reintroducing pooling would be a very bad idea.
The only thing I would agree with would be to allow it in specific game modes, such as 'practice', where stats obviously don't count. So people could experiment freely.
I'm surprised that a mentor suggests such thing, tho.

Lexi00
07-31-2009, 08:56 AM
No thanks, there is a good reason why you can't trade items.

Voldo1
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I think its good that you can trade consumables, but anything else and the game will end as described above.

Kazie
07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
The problem with being able to give items to team mates makes it very easy to stack a single hero into becomming unstoppable and changes the game play significently.

Imagine Madman having items from 4 heroes and his own gold? It's a balance fix to stop people pooling items. I think it would be far more unfair if you COULD help a player already at an advantage.
Yea i guess you're right. pooling items is bad..

However, would it be possible to make it an advanced game option? .. making it possible to trade items?

IntErlIdEr
07-31-2009, 10:05 AM

This. Some heroes have a hard time to farm, and they even get ganked the most so that they can't show their true potencial. The problem here is that another hero could undo all this counter-measures by simply giving the late-game carry who is in need the items the other team so forcefully worked upon so he couldn't get.

It's a balance tweak, only, of course, some sort of official mentors program could use of this - only, of course, no stats recorded ETC.

~IntEr

ReijiMaigo
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Naturally. There is an -allow pooling mode in DotA. Something similar wouldn't be very hard to fix, should the community want it.