PDA

View Full Version : Rethink Blacksmith...

Newface
12-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Alright, here's a list of issues with blacksmith:

-Very weak lining phase, which usually is the opposite for int heroes.
-Relies on 'luck'... making the concept more unique but also, less reliable.
-Limited use in team fights (aoe slow is a big meh, single stun, if not multicasting, very limited)
-Limited into ganking early game (prior to level 11) due to INSANELY long cooldown on fireball compared to similar spells from other heroes.

All of these make him an tier 3 hero with a stun...

My ideas as to how to improve this hero... This hero is a ganker if you ask me... here's my idea of blacksmith:

-Fireball: needs to scale better in damage. I'd put it as 75,150,225,300 damage. Cooldown needs to be more in the 6 to 8 seconds right away at level 1 (no reason to be longer then Andro's stun).

-Slow: slows by 10,20,30,40%, deals 50, 100, 150, 200 damage.

-New spell: Burning speed (Passive): If not attacked for 10 seconds (no damage suffered, not from creeps, not from heroes), blacksmith gains a speed buff of 10,20,30,40%. This speed buff last until he gets hit.

Ultimate: Fireball can multicast the same, but instead of increasing the fireball price (right now, every time you increase the ult, fireball mana cost goes up), the blacksmith most 'pay' in mana every fireball he multi cast.

Ultimate: Slow stay the same, no need to make any modification.

Ultimate: Burning speed (Passive) adds 1 hit that must be received to remove the passive speed buff. If not attacked for 10 seconds, it recharges. (Pretty much, it adds a counter on blacksmith skill, at level 1 ultimate, he must be hit twice in 10 seconds to lose his speed buff. If he's hit once and not anymore, 10 seconds later, he regains the fact that he must be his twice before losing it). At level 3 ultimate, he would need to be hit 4 times before losing it... but if you really think about it, 4 times isn't much when creeps target you.

This would, I believe, buff him to fullfill his roll of a ganker. He will still have his small and crappy mana pool leaving him limited in that sens but hey.

Puria
12-10-2009, 02:14 PM
You want to rethink the blacksmith?

TOO BAD ITS ME, BLACKSMITH!!!
http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/images/heroes/7/icon_128.jpg
No need to remade skills of this hero. He is fine and he will be fine.

/end

Newface
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
That's why your favorite hero is Corrupted Disciple and your PSR is 1335 and your last game played 4 days ago...

Gorb
12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
PSR means nothing, don't use it in an argument, and the Blacksmith is actually a pretty fine hero. His scaling depends on how lucky he gets with his ultimate affecting his stun, but he usually pulls off enough multicasts to turn the tide of a team gank battle in his team's favour.

Also, AoE slow is fantastic. If you time your Fireball and the Flaming Hammers correctly you can pull off a gank with a laning partner by level 2 or 3, depending on your partner's hero. Hell, you can using the slow to help the tower gank a cocky level 1 or 2 hero, though of course that's a highly situational occurence.

Your ideas may or may not be good (the movement passive is a bit interesting), but I believe they aren't needed.

skatetattoo
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
i agree, blacksmith needs to be improved

FlaMeSticK1
12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
-Fireball: needs to scale better in damage. I'd put it as 75,150,225,300 damage. Cooldown needs to be more in the 6 to 8 seconds right away at level 1 (no reason to be longer then Andro's stun).

-Slow: slows by 10,20,30,40%, deals 50, 100, 150, 200 damage.

Totally agree T-up i like his 3rd abiility dont want to change it :D

I vote yes

PS: check out my hero link is in the signature

Decency
12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Any hero that's random to this extent does no belong in a competitive game. I don't know why they ported him to begin with, probably a favorite hero of someone on the development team, to be honest.

Razill
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
i agree he neads to be changed because random = wrong
but 3rd skill should not be changed
all other changes are bad as well
only thing that neads changing is the ult and this is a bad suggestion of what that change should be

JewishNinja
12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
but but... i enjoy playing him.

Removing him is removing something as integral as plague rider or something less integral such as rampage.

His skills are fine, and its fun as hell to play. End game he's more just a guaranteed stun and portable movespeed/attackspeed buff.

yyr_
12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Blacksmith is like an "better" version of techies. He is completely different to every other hero's. His ulti, gives you the most satisfaction out of any skill in the game

You being chased by <insert non-spectre hero>, your on abou 75hp and they are sitting on about 400 or so, and all your spells are on c/d and they are slowly gaining on you. You turn around just as fireball comes of c/d you multicast as they are finishing their attack animation, and you gib them. <------- best ulti ever.

You dont get that satisfaction from many other spells.

Blacksmith is a fun hero, bloodlust makes him viable support inconjunction with his slow. Thats a no from me.

xSky
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Alright, here's a list of issues with blacksmith:

-Very weak lining phase, which usually is the opposite for int heroes.
-Relies on 'luck'... making the concept more unique but also, less reliable.
-Limited use in team fights (aoe slow is a big meh, single stun, if not multicasting, very limited)
-Limited into ganking early game (prior to level 11) due to INSANELY long cooldown on fireball compared to similar spells from other heroes.I bet you that when they were testing and implementing the hero, they already had this list down. And a stun is a stun. Why complain?

This would, I believe, buff him to fullfill his roll of a ganker. He will still have his small and crappy mana pool leaving him limited in that sens but hey.Who said he was a ganker? His late game role is to support or dps(due to his third skill). Mana problems is easily overcome by getting a Ring of Sorcery or a Hellflower for regen as well as damage. His stun is not meant to destroy everything in it's path. Definitely a support/saving stun with bonus damage. His second skill is a great for slowing in a small scale fight. As well as helps to push/defend when you're about to leave the lane. Just cast it on the creeps and gtfo.

The blacksmith has like the most ridiculous Strength gain in the game. Grab a heart, and your first skill is now a 5.1 second cool down stun+damage and you'll have very top-tier health pool. Stun not long enough? Use your slow, use Ghost Marchers, chase and stun again. 5.1 second cooldown is pretty damn low.

My point, he's a perfectly balanced hero. His playstyle is definitely different, though. You make up for his shortcomings with a few items. There is no need to make him a god-tier pick. I've had a good experience with him. The stun + frenzy combo has saved many allies as well as myself from impending doom.

docterj208
12-10-2009, 09:17 PM
blacksmith is fine.

L2p blacksmith.

Decency
12-11-2009, 05:25 AM
Blacksmith is like an "better" version of techies. He is completely different to every other hero's. His ulti, gives you the most satisfaction out of any skill in the game

You dont get that satisfaction from many other spells.
You get more satisfaction about being random than doing something that might actually take a minuscule bit of skill? I get more satisfaction from blowing my nose than getting a kill that I don't deserve.

My suggestion to fix him:

1st level ultimate: every 3rd cast is a x2 multicast
2nd level ultimate: every 4th cast is a x3 multicast
3rd level ultimate: every 5th cast is a x4 multicast.

This way he can be assured to be useful in teamfights by prepping the skill, but not overpowered because he's essentially guaranteed not to get more than one multicast in a fight.

DPS wise: 4/3, 6/4, 8/5, is incremental, so it does improve in that sense as well.

They might have to work on the stun length (remove additional stuns) or nerf the L4 damage a bit (275->250?), because otherwise he's doing 1100 every 5 casts, which is pretty damned powerful.

Alternatively, keep the stun duration the same but make it so the spell only does half damage on each additional cast, that would still be almost 700 damage on a 4x multicast and the stun is pretty ridiculous, 6 seconds I believe?