PDA

View Full Version : Demented Shaman's Storm Cloud

SnowToad
12-07-2009, 07:06 AM
This idea was inspired by someone else, and I thought it sounded like a great improvement to the spell.
I want to keep it almost exactly the same, just alter the way in which the armour is added/reduced over time.

Old
Applies Storm Shield to allies and Storm Strike to enemies in a 600 radius for 12 / 18 / 24 seconds.
This ability can be boosted by Staff of the Master.
Storm Shield Effects
Armor Per Charge: 1
Adds 1 charge per second

I think the way that it continually builds up then instantly disappears from full to nothing is not very effective. It means that it takes a very long time (up to 24 seconds) to reach maximum potential, and then it instantly goes straight back down to nothing.
Critical team battles will hardly ever last up to 24 seconds, so the full potential of the spell will never be used.
In defensive situations, support spells which act instantly are much more effective than those with delayed effects, which is why Jeraziah's heal is much more effective at saving allies than Nymphora's heal.

The majority of damage dealt in team encounters will be in the first few seconds. If you use Storm cloud to support your allies, during this time it has nearly no effect and your team will take a lot of damage/get wiped out before the powerful armour kicks in. Also, going with the idea of a 'cloud', it would make more sense that a cloud slowly fades out as opposed to instantly disappearing.

Therefore I propose this change:
New
Applies Storm Shield to allies and Storm Strike to enemies in a 600 radius for 12 / 18 / 24 seconds.
This ability can be boosted by Staff of the Master.
Storm Shield Effect (for first 6/9/12 seconds)
Armor Per Charge: 2
Adds 1 charge per second
Storm Shield Effect (for last 6/9/12 seconds)
Armor Per Charge: 2
Removes 1 charge per second

And same for the negative effect on enemies (Storm Strike), reduce 2 armour per second for first 6/9/12 seconds then add back 2 armour/second for remaining 6/9/12 seconds.

Armour change over time:
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4085/armour.jpg

This shows that the peak armour addition/reduction is reached twice as fast, and does not instantly disappear afterwards. It will mean that more armour will be added/reduced at the times when it is needed most.

This change will arguably make the spell more powerful, so the duration could be decreased which would lower the peak armour gain/loss.

I believe this simple change will make Storm Cloud a much more effective ability and will help to properly utilize its maximum potential.

Control`
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Personally dont see a problem, his ult is very good as it is.
Balanced character that doesn't need to be touched.

No