PDA

View Full Version : [Mode] Match Making - Take into consideration win %

Ucross
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
So right now a lot of people make smurfs and make games very lopsided.

How do you know he/she is a smurf? Usually I look at the players on my team and let's say everyone is 1600-1700. Most people have a win percentage around 50-55%. When you look, you might see someone at 90% who has won 18 games and lost 2. This is because they are actually a 1900 who just reset his account and is blowing through everyone.

To make matters worse most smurfs today like to play with friends. So you will see often a group of 2 or 3 people who are all 70%+ win%.

Then the game begins and if you're on their team you laugh as they carry you to victory and if not you get decimated. Either way the game is usually quite lop-sided.

So what's a solution to this? My suggestion is to take w% into account of your MMR when making even teams.

So perhaps something like 4 extra MMR for every % above 50 you are. You could even do the opposite and have it 4 less MMR for every % below 50 you are. If anyone has played less than 5-10 games you limit the effect to perhaps 1 MMR or 0.5 MMR for every % above/below 50%.

The result?
Games will be more fair. Two smurfs at 1700 with 90% win ratios will not be matched against other 1700s, but instead matched against others who are 1860. (Calculation being they are 40% higher than 50% so they get 40 x 4 extra MMR which is 160 extra MMR. 1700+160 = 1860).

Thanks for reading/considering.

ToxicMonkey
02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Imo it would be better if you gained extra MMR based on win%, so you're placed at the right level sooner. They already do this to some extent with new accounts, extra MMR for early win streaks, and like +40 MMR for Immortals and such...
I'd rather see added MMR gain for, for example, 60%+ win rates.

Ucross
02-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Right, that is a different suggestion, but also a very appropriate one. Probably the best would be to incorporate both suggestions.

Watercat
02-26-2012, 09:54 AM
I remember reading s2 saying that if your on a win streak it gives you a bit more leverage. I don't know exactly how the current system works though