PDA

View Full Version : Tundra: Pets or cold shoulder

squarebob
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
As Tundra do you level pets or shoulder first? I've seen some builds where you get ice shards whenever possible, get 1 level of pets (for the bird) and then finish cold shoulder next.

I've personally always thought pets were the **** (perhaps an old dota habit) but it seems like people are going for cold shoulder. Is the slow from the hog not strong? Aside from the bird giving vision, is anything beyond level 1 a waste?

I tried using the search function but could not find a thread which answered this question.

Granitt
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Pets!!!! someone else explain him...

\Granit

Pilot_Fly
12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
3 possible ways to skill him(mid):
note: level 1 charge is op mid!

charge, then max q and w (solid build, not that mana intensiv, good vs other meele heros)
or

q, w, w,q, q ,r,q,e,w,w (good vs heros like ss, you hit level 3 before the 2 min mark, send your pets to finde the rune, if you find the rune with your slow pet, attack it twice, so you can denie it if other hero arrives earlier than you there.
or

q,w,w,e,q,r,q,q,w,w (same as above, better early ganking abilitys, less dmg output, you choose this if your lane is hard, you cant expect to kill enemy, but you gotta gank the side lanes then.):tund:

squarebob
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM
hm interesting, thanks for the tips.

Hoppydapunk
12-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I personally am pretty fond of Cold Shoulder. Its a great skill when combined with avalanche and a few items, and is less mana intensive.

I think it really depends on your playstyle. I don't like having to control the pets or worrying about them dying. I do like being able to charge at enemies, slow them, and beat them stupid.

It also depends on the enemies team. Teams with jungle heroes or lots of melee I find Cold Shoulder to be less useful, and the pets to be more useful. I like Cold Shoulder on a team with 3 or more ranged so that I can get to them immediately before or after a stun and for initiating on them.

Items can also be a factor in your decision. Cold Shoulder is boosted greatly by items like Frostburn and Brutalizer. These items are pretty costly though and so you'll need decent farm to make Cold Shoulder really successful. Using the pets, while often more mana costly, is pretty cheap to accommodate with items like Mana Battery and Blood Chalice.

Those are just my thoughts on it though

Lariatoooo
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
shards
pets
pets
shoulder
pets
ulti
pets
then shard

JoOKie
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Pets in every situation. Cold shoulder is useful, but not "you need to max this" useful. Pets are just broken compared to cold shoulder.

Kel77
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Start maxing pets ASAP. Get 1 point into could shoulder for the utility do not put more into it until pets and shards are maxed.

The pets are tundra's strongest asset, and if you aren't going to get them (and use them) you should just choose a different hero.

The owl has a multitude of uses but is especially good for scouting out runes, looking for jungle heroes, revealing any crucial part of the map, ganking and counterganking. In fact when is it not useful to have an extra 1200 units of clearvision? This moving clearvision can also go invisible and follow the enemy team if they ever group up to make a big play. Along with the other pet, Coeurl, counterwarding is effortless as well. Once tundra gets an eye (gem) you can just send out the pets to various locations that could be warded while tundra stays in the lane and farm or goes to gank.

Also, Coeurl is essentially like a free frostwolf skull for tundra. He can harass with Coeurl in lane while tundra focuses on last hits. This is especially infuriating to melee heroes you're laning against and can spell an easy advantage. In a very hard/dangerous lane tundra can sit back while Coeurl gets the last hits. During teamfights Coeurl can keep any melee hero from contributing much and after teamfights Coeurl is very strong for chasing enemy heroes down.

I haven't mentioned anywhere near all the uses of either pet but I hope this gives you a decent idea of just how crucial they are.

Aray
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
one in cold shoulder to close in on targets, pets are your #1 weapon imo, and shards next to pets. im usually 1 3 1 1 at level 6

HollowMask
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Max Shards, 1 skill into Cold Shoulder, 1 skill into summon pets, 1 skill into ultimate, 2nd skill into summon pets for dual utilization, rest stats.

Kel77
12-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Max Shards, 1 skill into Cold Shoulder, 1 skill into summon pets, 1 skill into ultimate, 2nd skill into summon pets for dual utilization, rest stats.

The problem with this is that the owl moves very slowly until lvl 3.

FlySociety9
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Once when I was sidelane tundra I got lvl 1 of shards and shoulder and maxed pets first.
It was pretty strong since shoulder and pets are super cheap and we just did a lot of chase down kills.

Against certain heroes mid you want to get the maximum burst possible, like hag for example - so max the shards first for suresies

man_guy
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Cold Shoulder is 0 cast time IIRC and same with hatchet. It's kind of imbalanced. It's not worth leveling up early but you should take one point before six.

Farosarg
12-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Coeurl is incredibly good early on if you aren't afraid of a little micro. Easily worth maxing.

PrestonLee
12-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Max Shards, 1 skill into Cold Shoulder, 1 skill into summon pets, 1 skill into ultimate, 2nd skill into summon pets for dual utilization, rest stats.i don't even know why you'd pick Tundra if it weren't for the imba map hack bird at skill level 3 :/

MiniDon
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
depends.. pets rape... if ur up against pollywog.. go coldsholder cuz u can get out of his wards by doin that :o

FC
12-04-2011, 02:52 AM
I usually max pets, and max could shoulder after taking 1-2 in nuke

Roefl
12-04-2011, 09:45 AM
shards
pets
pets
shoulder
pets
ulti
pets
then shard

dis ^

robbiek1
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Only pick tundra if you can micro.
Otherwise don't pick.
Shoulder comes last.

~Robbie

echelon
12-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Everyone here is a trash 1600 or mid 1700. Only worthy advice was Pilot_Fly first build and his note.

No-one here knows how to play Tundra, that is what I know without even looking at your played heroes. Not a single person here can tell me max damage output with 1 shoulder hit, lvl 2 shards and an ulti at lvl 6 with 2 auto attacks with average enemy armor and how armor effects that total.

If you play Tundra, you'd at least know something similar to what I described above.

echelon
12-07-2011, 04:02 AM
By the way, I'll give you a pro tip.

Since a lot of baddies don't know how to play Tundra. It is not obvious to the enemy what skills you have chosen. Thus, never ever reveal your pets level or shards unless you are going for the first kill - only use Cold Shoulder for harrass.

Another one - take a look at Tundras starting stats, armor, hp, etc. You will notice he is one of the strongest heroes at level 1 with cold shoulder.

Mental_Block
12-07-2011, 06:42 AM
shards
pets
pets
shoulder
pets
ulti
pets
then shard

This.

You should never, ever throw away a slow, especially early when the supports probably have only only basic boots and you can feed on them <3

SonnySoya
12-07-2011, 07:13 AM
I tend to only get one point of cold shoulder early game, seeing as i want it for the charge ability, not the extra AS. Afterwards I (usually) max (Q) Ice shards first, followed by the pets.

It's very important for you to level up your pets, without them you are just a mediocre nuker with a single stun. The slow from the pig is priceless. And the bird will help you immensly, even if you aren't a great microer.

squarebob
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I've been experimenting a little bit with this build:

Shards
Pets
Pets
Shoulder
Pets
Ulti
Pets
max shards then shoulder, get ulti when possible

My MMR is around 1700 and I would say my micro is decent. I can manage playing ophelia and such (Diamond sc2 player). This build has been working fairly well for me. I'm usually in the side lanes.

At bottom: I start with summoning the pets, I send the bird into the jungle or rune for some vision and I sent the pig into the jungle. I wait for the enemy to come up a bit (past the outpost). I bring the pig around the back to attack the hero while I shoulder at the same time. This can easily net a kill if the lanes are in my favour. If this doesn't get a kill it's a GREAT way to harass. Very mana friendly and it's fairly scary.

J0k3
12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Pets are mega

Danny
12-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Tundra is my most played in MM. I tend to get level one shards or pets depending on the situation and max my pets. I only get cold shoulder after I max both of those, but I can easily see why someone would. I just dont find myself in the situation where I need that skill.

Jeffbelittle
12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm a great Tundra. Inb4 stats/rating,

Get cold shoulder level 1 and harass the **** out of them.

Then max out pets. Pets are mad op.

K0diak
12-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Tundra is probably the game's most misplayed hero. I cry when I see someone taking only shards and cold shoulder, and then building a god damn frostburn. Or even worse, a hotbl. Once, there was even a guy on my team who maxed out cold shoulder FIRST, because "it's good for harassing".

:Steamboots::chal::MysticVestments::Portalkey::Puz zlebox:

HatTrick
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
The reason you can get by with only Level 2 Shards is because the fact that even at level 2, the shards can hit a maximum of 240 damage. That's as strong as Emerald Warden's wolves at level 4

So maxing pets first is normally always the most viable option

Dr`Delicious
12-10-2011, 10:37 PM
If you're not getting pets, why bother playing the hero instead of someone who can charge and nuke better?

Juicenewton
12-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Cold shoulder at level 1, then max pets / shards in whatever order you please.

This is the only build you should ever use mid, going just pets / shards or god forbid shards / max cold shoulder are awful