PDA

View Full Version : how do i use krakens ultimate?

iPodTouch
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
i place the whirlpool, wait 5 seconds, everything around me teleports to the whirlpool. what happens afterwards? it doesnt even do that much damage o.o
how do i properly use his ult?

Minaxter
10-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Its meant to be used in team fights, you activate your ulti, then initiate by either charging in to the enemy team or using portal key to blink in. This sucks some or all of th enemy team in to where you first activated the ultimate where your team proceed to aoe the hell out of them. its basically for bunching a few enemies up in a place that is beneficial for your team. even if you dont get the entire enemy team you can still easily get your team 3 kills and then the remaining two have no choice but to run.

dune
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
That's about it.

You can teleport people earlier if you wish now. Ideally you'll grab one or two enemy heroes and 5v1/2 them and get a decent power-play going for a good 30 seconds or so.

Sketch88
10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
originally it could be used to teleport them to the fountain, but S2 ruined the other fun part of this game when they changed that. now its for starting the fight and synergizes well with a tempest or magmus or a heavy aoe-er

JoeMartin
10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
The operative end to his ultimate is the Portal Key.

The reason that Kraken's ultimate is so powerful is that it causes an AOE positional displacement. But more importantly than giving you a huge positional advantage is that when properly used in conjunction with a Portal Key, it causes a huge mental displacement as well. The pull should be instant and the enemy team should not see it coming.

Position yourself out of LOS of the enemy >> drop your whirlpool >> wait 2 seconds >> portal key into intended target(s) >> immediately press R.

The less reaction time they have the better. Port keying and grabbing in a fraction of a second gives you that massive advantage in that denying the target(s) the precious reaction time they would otherwise have if you were running towards them with Tsunami Charge, allowing the opposing team several seconds to react and scatter. When done properly they won't know where they're being pulled from or where they're being pulled to, and many won't center their camera right away (or will vainly right-click where their camera was in attempts to get away) and will cost themselves even more precious reaction time to the situation.

Of course, his ultimate isn't a team killer in and of itself. Your team mates play as much a role in the successful use as you do, their end of the deal being to clean up everyone whom get pulled through (they are massively slowed from the whirlpool itself and your aura, not to mention take an armor debuff). For this reason he has good synergy with AOE-nuke support, but again, you have to be on the same page with your team mates to make it happen.

Kraken's ultimate is a game-breaker that forces the other team to adjust their entire strategy around it, because when it's used properly it either wins the team fight completely or ruins the other teams ability to start one by separating and killing off several at a time. Just always remember that it is a team ability that is, in and of itself, pretty useless without backup on the other end.

Nigma
10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Think about how useful Andromeda's ultimate is.

Now think about that on an AoE scale.

Being able to arange your opponants in a perfect little circle is amazing if you have AoE heroes on your team.

Combine Kraken's ult with any of these heroes (and more) for GREAT SUCCESS:

Pyromancer
Tempest
Magmus
Behemoth

...and much, much more!

Rocky_Felix
10-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Also, you can press R again to make the teleport in your ult end as soon as you push that button. This makes it much easier to catch opponents off guard and they won't have a chance to run away

Dinadan87
10-15-2009, 03:40 AM
It's a support move, really. You drop the whirlpool, charge or blink into the enemy and then drag them back to the whirlpool... where your allies will be waiting to slaughter them!
It's a team oriented skill. Doesn't do much good at all for soloing.
And it works very well with some other heroes. For example, if the enemies flee from pollywog's totems, drop your whirlpool by them, charge the fleeing enemy, and drag them back into range. Easy kills.

Pogona
10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Never played kraken, but it seems to me you could also port them back into the range of a tower, right? Like how bout right next to it? (or behind) I get that it works best with a team but seems to me you might be able to get some solos doing it that way.

Blaat
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
A whirlpool around the target spot + around yourself. After a few secs, you and all people (enemy and ally) will get teleported to the whirlpool at the target spot.

A really nice ulti, which can be deadly if used properly

pungkow
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Never played kraken, but it seems to me you could also port them back into the range of a tower, right? Like how bout right next to it? (or behind) I get that it works best with a team but seems to me you might be able to get some solos doing it that way.

You could do this, but only early game (level 6 or 7), and it would work best by far if you have some sort of disabler/slower to keep them there longer. Think Nymph, magmus, pyro...something like that.

nakke
10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I love kraken, Easy to last hit with level 1 "q" skill.
He is just a beast in team fights. Great to Whirlpool 2 supporters/stunners/disablers/nukers then proceed to win teamfight or push :p
and tsunami charge is great anti-channeling!

iPodTouch
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
so i dont have to wait 5 seconds for the teleport effect to happen? just press "r" again? (like mailikens sword throw skill? o.o)

DenyTheTruth
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
so i dont have to wait 5 seconds for the teleport effect to happen? just press "r" again? (like mailikens sword throw skill? o.o)

Correct. You have to wait at least 2 seconds, though.