PDA

View Full Version : What is 'competitive play'?

Chucklenuts
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm relatively new to this game, and all i ever play are 'Pubs'. Is the difference between joining random games and competitive play simply 5v5 clan matches, or is there something i'm missing?

I apologize for my noobishness, but its bothered me for some time now.

Chucklenuts
10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
hmm this is definitely the wrong forum for this, apologies

ldelusionl
10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
There is a fairly large meta game element to this game, but a small percentage of that element is on the personal level. Team dynamics at the meta game level is what distinguishes Pub play from 5v5 Clan matches. There is a thread in here with advanced techniques and such.

Chucklenuts
10-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Alright thanks

FuzzyWuzzy
10-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Competitive play = No Scout players :D

Seriously though, competitive play involves teams playing together (tournaments, practice, etc).

As a team generally, there is:
- better coordination - they talk on the VoIP or Ventrillo, let other players know of runes, missing players, etc
- better hero combinations - no awkward lanes like 2 melee heroes, everyone knows what he is supposed to be doing
- better team coordination - most games are decided in team battles, a proper initiation and "chaining" of disables is crucial
- better map control - there is always one or even two players that buy wards to maintain vision of crucial areas - it's pretty uncommon to see ward buyers in pubs.

Overall, competitive play usually disregards heroes that do not have skills that can help the entire team. Usually this means that every hero needs to have a stun / slow / heal or some sort of usability in team fights.

Travakh
10-09-2009, 04:22 AM
I got pretty good in dota pubs but when I began scrimming everything went to a whole new level

And I learned bounty hunter was a bad hero.

Those were good times.

Tapioka
10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Competitive play = No Scout players :D

Seriously though, competitive play involves teams playing together (tournaments, practice, etc).

As a team generally, there is:
- better coordination - they talk on the VoIP or Ventrillo, let other players know of runes, missing players, etc
- better hero combinations - no awkward lanes like 2 melee heroes, everyone knows what he is supposed to be doing
- better team coordination - most games are decided in team battles, a proper initiation and "chaining" of disables is crucial
- better map control - there is always one or even two players that buy wards to maintain vision of crucial areas - it's pretty uncommon to see ward buyers in pubs.

Overall, competitive play usually disregards heroes that do not have skills that can help the entire team. Usually this means that every hero needs to have a stun / slow / heal or some sort of usability in team fights.

thats right, but in this forum the term "competitive play" is just a justification to do or not to do things. Would be great if, at least 50%, would think about that, what you wrote if they hear "competitve play"~

k1desu
10-09-2009, 09:23 AM
you can be sure no one is gonna ragequit nor will one do random **** since you trust all of your 4 mates.

you know how your team interacts, and when theres a league coming up and replayes are shared, you can determine how your enemies interact as a closed team.

in competetive games there wont be selfish people such as players who play a supportive char and try to last hit enemies even tho this kill should go to your carry or things like that.
in pubs you often see ( example ! ) plague rider who cast a nova on a dying hero to improve their stats even tho this kill belongs to the guy who did all the work and who needs the benefit of killing a player to improve his items for lategame etc. etc.

i just tried to sum up some more things that havent been said before

all in all competetive play is about checking which team is top of the top.

dreamex
10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Competitive play is really just a different level of play with its own metagame, what some deem as the true metagame as it involves exploring the most effective manners of heroes.

RenoFox
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
What does 'Meta' mean? I know what it means, but where does the name come from?

MinishMan
10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/meta-

The metagame is the encompassing trends and patterns of a game.

I don't really know hon enough yet to give a hon related example, but for example in company of heroes, 90% of games of US vs Wehrmacht will have the US build 4 rifles and get BAR upgrade. Wehrmacht will build a medic bunker and T2 units and veterancy to counter. This could be described as the metagame.

Chucklenuts
10-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks all, this is very useful information - I'm quite eager to find a decent clan, somewhere my support skills will be appreciated...so this oughta point me in the right direction.

Boblah
10-09-2009, 10:10 PM
competitive play is when you play for more than just PSR or KDR. You play for a rank in a ladder, or for prizes of such.

Competitve teams are far more organised than pub teams because they have played with eachother before, they know each otheres play style allowing them to synegize better.
The best way to improve is to join a clan with clue, or at least much better than you. That way you're always learning. If you become the best in that team, leave and join a better one working your way up till your leetpro