PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Curry

Drasha
07-01-2011, 01:48 AM
So I made my second attempt at making curry(we don't talk about the first try). It turned out ok but it wasn't completely smooth and i had a hard time getting the curry blocks to completely dissolve. The chicken, carrots, potatoes, and onions turned decently. Any one have any good advice on cooking curry?

Coolcollo
07-01-2011, 01:53 PM
My name is Edmund Curry (come at me etc)

I advise you not to cook Curry :blac:

What were you dissolving the blocks in? As a general recommendation I'd break the blocks to give it more surface area (I do this with bullion cubes for stock).

Try try again! Post pics next time =D. I'm making Meatball subs right now muahaha.

Droggeltasse
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I never used curry blocks, but powder and raw spices so iam not 100% sure what went wrong. But i would just guess you did not gave it the time it needed.

I usally roast the chicken first and remove it after. Then i roast the other stuff, fill it with some water and continue without the chicken. This way you can give it more time to get more taste and probably your "blocks" can dissolve. When you think its ready you can put the chicken back in and finish it.
But make sure to roast the chicken not too much in the firt attempt or it will get dry just be heating it again.

TURBORUS
07-01-2011, 04:08 PM
what are "curry blocks"?

either use spices (cumin is like 85% of the curry flavor), chopped tomatoes, that sort of thing then add cream if you want to make it more saucy, just remember you can always add more but can't take something out

or buy a jar of the stuff

InbredMule
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Give us some of your recipes. Adding curry powder doesn't make it curry =p

Waarlod
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
You want a hard curry? Ill show you a hard curry

Drasha
07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
I used the recipe on the back of a golden curry box. I put the blocks in after the meat and potatoes ect and the curry blocks stuck a little to them. Might try dissolving the blocks in boiling water before putting any thing else in next time. Or i might try making the sauce from scratch but I am not really sure what i am doing since no one i know cooks curry.

willdaBEAST
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Golden Curry is the brand I always use, just continue to simmer and stir everything. It'll take about 5 minutes, but heat and stirring should be enough to dissolve everything into a smooth curry. I always try to spread out the chunks of curry as well and that seems to help distribute them.

Drasha
07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Do you mix it in at a boil or at a simmer?

willdaBEAST
07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Just a simmer. Are you using a wok or a pot?

Drasha
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
a pot

Otolia
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Give us some of your recipes. Adding curry powder doesn't make it curry =p
per se, it does.

I guess I'll never understand how other culture cooks their dishes ... Because it sounds very stupid to me to dissolve curry cubes

Coolcollo
07-01-2011, 11:56 PM
@Otolia: Other cultures don't use Curry blocks lawl.

@Waarlord: Hard Curry? See my first post. Show me hot girl.
;
@Willdabeast: /thread

Lethe
07-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Dunno my style is mostly based on European Cuisine so my knowledge on any other styles is more or less weak.

Willdabeast seems to know what he's talking about so I too will call /thread. And if his advice doesn't cut it, well god bless google.

NoctisMori
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
heat up butter in a saucepan. add flour and chicken broth and milk. less milk if you want a thicker sauce. then add curry. stir until it dissolves or you'll get a lumpy sauce. start on medium heat and then gradually lower the heat or you'll burn it. season it as you please.

Otolia
07-02-2011, 09:21 PM
heat up butter in a saucepan. add flour and chicken broth and milk. less milk if you want a thicker sauce. then add curry. stir until it dissolves or you'll get a lumpy sauce. start on medium heat and then gradually lower the heat or you'll burn it. season it as you please.
Kids, that's how you get fat.

NoctisMori
07-02-2011, 10:32 PM
sure if you sit on the computer all day.