PDA

View Full Version : When should you get power supply?

Griddler
10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm just curious if there's a general logic to when power supply is a good starting item. I'd say the majority of the time I'll get this as my starting item (unless I'm solo mid or jungling ofc). Unless the hero has a good reason for ring of the teacher I'll usually PS instead of a bunch of pots/runes. Sometimes I'll buy the totems and recipe and then pick up the battery to complete it in lane with my first 210g, which allows me more rune of blights or mana pots from base when I head out to the lane.

But yeah is this considered a generally good starting item - or only on select heroes / vs select types of teams? (i know its a lot better vs thunderbringer than say swiftblade, but you can't predict your lane opponents really ><

thryll
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
generally i find the extra 203 gold for +1 stats and +5 total charges not worth it. so get your two minor totems and mana battery then runes of blight and a mana potion and any extra gold can go towards another minor totem or two depending on how much you have. usually you will upgrade it on your first trip back to base

CptJesus
10-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I dont think you should ever start with power supply. Get the Mana Battery and the Minor Totems, and then grab the recipe on your first trip back to base.

If armadon is on the other team, and you're laning against him, enjoy oodles of free mana/health.

Trazgo
10-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I never start with it, but I usually get one Power Supply and one Bracelet/Soulscream/Talisman early game.

I do start with Blights, some Totems, and whatever else I want on that character.

Griddler
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I dont think you should ever start with power supply. Get the Mana Battery and the Minor Totems, and then grab the recipe on your first trip back to base.

If armadon is on the other team, and you're laning against him, enjoy oodles of free mana/health.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I wasn't actually clear on what the upgrade did... 1 more totem of stats and 5 charges (it never fills up early game anyways). Since you can buy the battery itself in lane you actually can just wait to see who you lane against.

pro tips ;)

dreamex
10-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Always buy it if your hero can use on-demand mana early on.

15 charges, 3 stats

at 519g it costs 9 gold more than a Fortified Bracelet (3 str 3 stats 510g) and 34 gold more than a Talisman of Exile (3 int 3 stats 485g)

At 4 charges it provides more health then a Fortified Bracelet, At 3 charges it provides more mana than a Talisman of Exile.

You will almost always have more charges than that and the beauty is it fullfills two purposes for when you just need that extra little mana to land a skill or that extra little health to survive an encounter, slightly more useful than walking around with an extra 60 hp or extra 39 mana (as a bracelet or talisman would do for you)

dune
10-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I almost always buy it. Particularly given that it give a total of +9 to stats (compared to +12 from a Bracelet/Exile/Soulscream) and then also potentially gives you a bonus 225 HP/Mana - it may seem insignificant but it's one more nuke you'll be able to take before dying.

It's also a wonderful thing to put your spare GG totems into!

ellR
10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
its good if your going to solo a lane top or down, if they play agressive your battery will be very helpful to you nomatter what heroes they have.

oSoM
10-01-2009, 03:15 PM
if arachna uses her orb attack, does this add charges to mana battery?

EnragedCamel
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
if arachna uses her orb attack, does this add charges to mana battery?

yes but they said it's a bug

arcainic
10-01-2009, 04:05 PM
i read that they've already fix the bug, so arachna's webshot will no longer charge battery, neither will maliken's enchanted sword toggle.

Kudryavka
10-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I think it's pretty overrated. I usually get a set of tangos or two and then fill the rest of my inventory with minor stat items and sometimes a hatchet. Smart play will save you from ganks far more than the extra life, and more importantly, as little as 5 extra damage can be an enormous advantage in last hitting early game. If you're babysitting and need to be throwing and receiving lots of nukes early on to give your team's carry a chance to farm, it's almost always worth getting. If you're the one doing the farming in such a lane or just on a lane without a carry, you'd be better off going for the advantage in last hitting.

Vodka
10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't think getting the recipe right away is worth it, mostly because that extra 203 gold can buy you +1 stats as well as potions and runes, which will ultimately provide more lane-staying power than an extra 5 charges, and +1 stats is covered by another totem.

LightRain
10-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Don't buy the full thing at start, but get the battery from the outpost.
I can confirm that arachna bug was fixed btw.

Hippie
10-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I would never open with power supply, and I'd wait on the mana battery until you know who you're laning against - you can always pick it up at the Outpost if it would be a good buy.

MABManZ
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I find it's always worth it on heroes with a low mana pool and need mana in bursts. Having that bit of mana can mean you can throw another barrell roll or stalk with madman, activate your flight with Pestilence, or toss another Hammer with Hammerstorm.

It's mostly worthless on INT heroes with a high mana pool, or if you plan on getting the Mana Ring item.

Padawanabee
10-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, just the battery and the two totems are fine when you go to your lane.

The upgrade gives a measly +1 to stats and 5 charges... but it does clear up 2 slots.

crazysheep
10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
It's pretty good against spammer heroes [Thunderbringer, Armadon], but other than that, nothing really special.

_Archangel_
10-02-2009, 03:36 AM
I find that it's really good on heroes that do have some mana problems early-midgame, but not enough to warrant the purchase of the hefty 600 gold Bottle, like Maliken.

Elerion
10-02-2009, 04:20 AM
The only time I would buy Mana Battery at the fountain would be if I was soloing a side lane. In that case, you are likely to face two opponents (more charges) and you may not be able to push the lane far enough to safely shop at the outpost.

If you're soloing mid, bottle will be the better item 9 times out of 10.

If you're dual laning a side lane, you can shop the mana battery at the outpost after 3-4 last hits. You won't see many spells cast before that point, and it allows you to skip it if you're against certain heroes that hardly ever cast.

B0RISS
10-02-2009, 04:40 AM
instead of gettin either mana battery or ps (power supply) get a courier, it cost less than a mana battery and can run errands for you the whole game long.

Pyrate
10-02-2009, 05:45 AM
typically my starting items are

6x Runes of Blight
4x Minor Totems
1x Mana Battery

Total cost = 602 gold

I find that the extra mana you get from the charges is invaluable

Melchizedek
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Mana battery/Power Supply is probably one of the most invaluable and powerful items for my style of gaming. Any hero you'd get a bracer/scream ring/talisman for, get Power Supply instead. The burst of mana and health turns around SO many ganks/counterganks/teamfights. Squeezing off that extra spell can really decide things in your favor, or get you that kill, or let you get away. No reason I can see for anyone not to get it. Unless you're a hero that's just all out rushing portal key.

Vodka
10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
It's pretty good against spammer heroes [Thunderbringer, Armadon], but other than that, nothing really special.

I don't really see it being good against spammy heavy nukers like TB simply because each time he uses his nuke, you lose way more than 15 health, and the nukes are basically un dodgeable. Now, against someone like Armadon whose spells you can avoid/don't hurt that much, mana battery/powersupply are very strong.

dreamex
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't really see it being good against spammy heavy nukers like TB simply because each time he uses his nuke, you lose way more than 15 health, and the nukes are basically un dodgeable. Now, against someone like Armadon whose spells you can avoid/don't hurt that much, mana battery/powersupply are very strong.

Hrmm, gaining back 15 health and mana everytime he nukes versus getting nothing from being nuked.

Spam heavy heroes keep your battery charged, battery is not a substitute for regen (runes/pots/etc), but it's very effective in its own way.

esoteric
10-04-2009, 02:32 AM
Power supply is worth it on almost every hero in the game. It costs only slightly over 500 gold and gives a ridiculous 225 hp/mana heal to pull out in emergencies and it also gives almost as many stats as a bracer. What's not to like?

CoolGoose
10-04-2009, 03:59 AM
I find it extremely good in the mid game. Team fight > you go to half health but with 15 charges almost every time :D > replenish life + mana and kill the others or escape.