PDA

View Full Version : Talk about technology?

Lethe
05-15-2011, 05:41 AM
I am slightly drunk while I write this and it's almost 4 in the morning. However, I am serious. As you may or may not know, I have a keen interest in technology, particularly the mobile revolution and the biotech industry.

You may or may not know I'm also into the stock market. The concept of being rewarded for using my knowledge appeals to me. So what I want to know is, how many people in the OT forums are interested in what I have to say about these areas? If enough people approve, I will recommend a stock in the mobile phone/biotech industry every 3 weeks or so.

Lemme know :D

YawningAngel
05-15-2011, 06:43 AM
So the idea that I might prefer idle speculation to putting my money where my mouth is doesn't appeal to you?

Revenant
05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
I love my Blackberry Playbook.

Lethe
05-15-2011, 10:13 AM
So the idea that I might prefer idle speculation to putting my money where my mouth is doesn't appeal to you?

what? As always investors should use their own discernment. I'll tell you what I tell my friends, I don't expect credit for their wins or losses.

If you have money to invest, great. If not, it's still good for info.

btw Revenant RIM is @#$%ed as far as the tech sector goes.

Revenant
05-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Yep.

```Sooyoung
05-15-2011, 10:18 AM
explain how the stock market works and how people get into it?
always been curious but i don't gamble with money.

MasterChief
05-15-2011, 10:20 AM
just a question how much money you made in the last few years with stocks or mutual funds?

MasterChief
05-15-2011, 10:25 AM
explain how the stock market works and how people get into it?
always been curious but i don't gamble with money.
Every retarded can join, but only a few ppl actually make profit
THe first thing it depands in what country you live and if you are interested in foreigner stocks , you will need a broker.
To be honest most broker company's ask that you have a minimum of 1000$ , but trust me dont even start if you dont have over 10000$.Exchange rate can be around 4.50$ to 10$

If you want fast money go stocks if you are not in a rush go to mutual funds.

And the most important thing never listen to ppl like OP, its the same retards who think "I will buy blizzard stocks because WoW is a good game".

The only good stocks you can buy now are maybe MC Donalds,Google(can be a luck game), and silver /gold mining company's

MichaelBurge
05-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Seconded on watching the price of gold if you want to make money on exchanges.

If only I invested that $3,000 in gold 6 years ago...

Lethe
05-15-2011, 10:50 AM
just a question how much money you made in the last few years with stocks or mutual funds?

I've been researching it on my own time since last October and have realized gains of about 12%. I'm quite satisfied since this is 6 months worth. My two other investing friends who have 3 years exp. on me have 36 and 48% realized gains respectively. Since I'm not in school right now I research companies instead of studying nowadays.

I had investments in some commodities which are meh. As Buffett stated, invest in what you know. Mining is not my specialty.

Idc if you don't like my advice. Out of all my tech stocks, the only one doing poorly is Dragonwave, for no real unsupported reason. Fortunately I also have investments in Allot communications, ARM Holdings, Triquint Semiconductor, and NVE Corp.

I haven't even gotten to my biotech stocks. Rofl.

I'm confident enough to tell you my tech stocks because we all know that you have to actually know about the industry and company to profit off it.

McDonalds is solid although it trades at over 70 a share. Not going to even get into Google.

If you are into mining than you don't need to read what I say. Like I mentioned, I have tradionally done quite poorly with mining stocks. I like big, relatively fast gains, but stocks I can buy and check once a week because I don't have to worry about pure speculation.

Lethe
05-15-2011, 10:54 AM
At the least, by all means throw my picks into a watching portfolio on google or yahoo. If I'm in the green, then clearly that is a good sign, since of course May is traditionally known as the worst time in the year for a bearish market.

MasterChief
05-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Seconded on watching the price of gold if you want to make money on exchanges.

If only I invested that $3,000 in gold 6 years ago...
Yep
Gold and silver is something that will have a value forever.
People who want to make money with it invest in mining corporations.
People who like to have a saving that is not affected by inflation buy gold/silver for savings.

the price of silver and gold in the last 6 years did get more then 3x times

MichaelBurge
05-15-2011, 12:38 PM
But, why would you buy gold/silver after there's already been a rise? I agree it was low 6 years ago and was thinking about buying it, but now that it's risen why do you think it'll continue to increase like that?

Lethe
05-15-2011, 12:54 PM
^ this.

It's extremely speculative right now. I could say I would be a millionaire if I invested 2k in Rare Earth Resources like half a decade ago. That statement though is meaningless.

You can brag about commodities once you've actually made money on them. Until them, speculations are just that, speculations. They mean nothing unless you act on them.

MasterChief
05-15-2011, 01:07 PM
But, why would you buy gold/silver after there's already been a rise? I agree it was low 6 years ago and was thinking about buying it, but now that it's risen why do you think it'll continue to increase like that?
The prices will 100% rise , but no 1 can tell you for how much each year.
How to say, its never bad to have gold or silver deposited as a "safe card" for future , if the dollar keeps falling and the euro getting weaker every year because of Spain,Portugal and Greece,the Yuan will have with a very high chance a big inflation in the next coming years and the yen with a high deflation, most banks hold there gold reserves close to them-self.In such moments the value of gold will rise.

You can make money with gold, if you invest in mining corporations,
buy gold/silver by yourself and sell it.
Or buy now and keep them safe inside your house and you will see how much it will help you in the next big financial crisis.

Btw that ppl don't miss-understand me , you cant sell gold/silver on the stock market , that's why I say you should invest in company's who are into mining.If the price of gold rise up the mining company's will make more money and in the end the stockholders will get more money.

Lethe
05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Fine, let's run an experiment.

Tomorrow, so that everyone is on even ground, I will pick 3 tech stocks that I have high confidence in at the market price.

You will do the same with your mining stocks.

Let's compare every month and see who comes out ahead. We will only consider % gain/loss, averaged as if you had equal investments in each stock. If you want to select some massive multibillion dollar market cap mining company go for it.

Btw my friend who's portfolio is up 48% has loss over 2k in 2 weeks due to the bearish market right now. This guy, like you, invests heavily into commodities.

Just so that we are clear, you don't actually have to buy the stocks (although I already own all 3 I intend on declaring), you just have to watch them.

Edit: Other people can join in as well, the more the merrier. Market price when the markets open on May 16. Create multiple 'portfolios' if you want. I'll have one for mobile tech and one for biotech.

For my mobile tech stocks: NASDAQ: TQNT, NASDAQ: ARMH, NASDAQ: NVEC

For my biotech stocks: NASDAQ: VRTX, NASDAQ: SGEN, and NASDAQ: ISIS.

MasterChief
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Fine, let's run an experiment.

Tomorrow, so that everyone is on even ground, I will pick 3 tech stocks that I have high confidence in at the market price.

You will do the same with your mining stocks.

Let's compare every month and see who comes out ahead. We will only consider % gain/loss. If you want to select some massive multibillion dollar market cap mining company go for it.

Btw my friend who's portfolio is up 48% has loss over 2k in 2 weeks due to the bearish market right now. This guy, like you, invests heavily into commodities.

Just so that we are clear, you don't actually have to buy the stocks (although I already own all 3 I intend on declaring), you just have to watch them.
First thing 3 month are never enough to see how the company is running its not even 1/4 of a year .
Second I think I have better things to do in my life , like learning for my uni exams (Financial mathematics).
I just told people my opinion about gold and because Micheal asked about it.Investing in a mining company , doesn't just means you invest in gold.
The biggest problem from the start here is you are a attention seeking whore who wants to show how smart he is.I think you are on the wrong board.No 1 cares on off-topic what you do and no 1 would honestly even think to buy stocks you tell them.Now get out from Off-topic

Edit:Even looking from the comments no 1 did even ask you something, I think your thread failed hard.

ProfessorOak
05-15-2011, 01:47 PM

I've made 30% on gold since the last trading thread! but also...

THE STORY OF OAK
1) INVEST IN AUSTRALIAN MINING COMPANIES
2) MASSIVE FLOOD
3) FUUUUUUUUUCK
4) ┐CONFUSION?

Lethe
05-15-2011, 02:05 PM
It takes like 5 minutes every week to check your portfolio.

And plz tell me where I stated a term. 1 year? 5 years? You act like gold is the only thing that will rise with time. Idc what term you want.

Sounds like a dodge to me. Since you are studying financial mathematics and I have taken no formal study in that area clearly you should have an obvious advantage.

And yea I was drunk when I wrote my OP. So yea, the initial purpose of this thread failed hard. Let's change the subject then and play my simple and fun game. Don't you want to put an end to my arrogance? Let's see what mr. Financial mathematics major can pull off.

Request for mods to move this to forum games.

ProfessorOak
05-15-2011, 02:15 PM
There was a thread posted on OT about a year go where people made lots of picks. It's been deleted :(

Lethe
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I'll make a new one then. Might as well make it concise.

will be in forum games, mods plz lock this thread.