PDA

View Full Version : [EU] Scandinavia Travel Tips

stevefox
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Hello. I will be making my first trip to Scandinavia next month (Bergen, Oslo, Stockholm), and would welcome any travel suggestions from those who live in the area or have visited in the past.

-Restaurants, or generic types of food to try (e.g. local/regional dishes)
-Hiking/outdoors activities (e.g. fjords)
-Hostels
-Theaters/museums
-Bars
-other misc fun stuff.

Also, would it be worth diverting my trip to stop in at Dreamhack?

ProfessorOak
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
This site rocks. http://www.hostelworld.com/

Ph3noM
05-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Hello. I will be making my first trip to Scandinavia next month (Bergen, Oslo, Stockholm), and would welcome any travel suggestions from those who live in the area or have visited in the past.

-Restaurants, or generic types of food to try (e.g. local/regional dishes)
-Hiking/outdoors activities (e.g. fjords)
-Hostels
-Theaters/museums
-Bars
-other misc fun stuff.

Also, would it be worth diverting my trip to stop in at Dreamhack?

Sweden, you should definitely if you do not have a girlfriend, try out one of our fiesty swede blondes, gives you one mighty feeling.

I would suggest that you do divert your trip to stop at dreamhack, it is worth it, for 100SEK you get a day pass, and it's truly amazing to be there, I've been there a couple of times, working there this summer.
It has amazed me every time, it's huge and it's growing, also as it is summer there will be so much outdoor activity during it, and there will be great bands playing should definitely considering going there!

Blet`
05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
If you are in Norway, try to be in Oslo at the 17:th of may which is their National day( DO NOT MISS THIS), You won't regret it. Also , Oslo in general is quite a nice place with some nice monuments and stuff like that. Akke brygga is a worthwille visit.

However, in my opinion if you are in Norway city life isn't what you should be looking for.

What you should do, is climb a mountain next to a fjord( and look at the view from the top - It is quite a sight. Btw Bergen is one of the rain heaviest places outside of the tropics - So don't excpect great weather there.

As for Sweden If you go to Stockholm the nature really isn't that astoundishing, however there is an archipelago which isn't all that bad.

Inside the city be sure to make a visit to the old city which is very nice, once there be sure to pass the castle and if you feel like it, visit the royal museum "livrustkammaren" which you might find interesting if you're into that stuff. Sweden actually has one of the longest lasting monarchies in the world, bested only be Denmark iirc so there is some interesting stuff to view.

Also, Swedish and Norwegian people are quite happy to speak english so I don't think that is a problem.

Visiting Dreamhack? It's nice, but maybe not that fun if you dont actually participate in any of the tournaments. However its all up to personal preference.

Also summer in Sweden is quite nice on the west-coast, with lush green forests and all that stuff.

If there is anything specific you wanna ask, or have trouble with translation-wise feel free to ask

edit : Since you thought it possible to visit Dreamhack- you will probably not be In Norway on the 17:th which is quite a loss

stevefox
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
I leave the US on the 17th and arrive in Oslo at like 8am on the 18th. I'm staying through the 2nd of June, but the 22nd-27th I'll be at a meeting for work in Gran Norway. So basically, I have the 18th-21st and 27th-1. I was tentatively planning to spend the first part in Bergen hiking and the latter part in Stockholm, but this is all subject to change.

Are there any specific norwegian or swedish foods that I should try? Seafood? Would you recommend the boat tours through the fjords in western norway, or just hiking around? Cycling?

Blet`
05-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Try meatballs! And whatever you do, Avoid "Surströmming" which is fermented fish and has the single worst smell ive ever smelled.

Otolia
05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Are you suggesting Scandinavian food could taste something ?

Blet`
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Are you suggesting Scandinavian food could taste something ?
No, but smell surströmming and you will puke.

Not kidding

DrRisan
05-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I leave the US on the 17th and arrive in Oslo at like 8am on the 18th. I'm staying through the 2nd of June, but the 22nd-27th I'll be at a meeting for work in Gran Norway. So basically, I have the 18th-21st and 27th-1. I was tentatively planning to spend the first part in Bergen hiking and the latter part in Stockholm, but this is all subject to change.

Are there any specific norwegian or swedish foods that I should try? Seafood? Would you recommend the boat tours through the fjords in western norway, or just hiking around? Cycling?

There's a lot of good stuff in Norway, but you should mainly check our Fjords (there's an area not far away from Bergen :-)). Depends on the person if you want to take the cruise or hike around the fjords in Western Norway. Personally I've been walking there and the sight was breathtaking!

I do live in Oslo and it is indeed smaller than most other capitals in the world, you can check this site for more information: http://www.visitnorway.com/
- We have a lot of different types of museums here in Oslo (medieval, viking, Vigelands sculptures etc).

Would also like to capitalize that Norway is an expensive country, which means that it will be really expensive for foreigners.

I hope you have a nice time here, it's a nice place to live :-)!