View Full Version : Countering Legionnarie tower tactic
09-19-2009, 06:29 PM
So, apparently there's this classic Legionnaire tactic that involves going between the enemy's first and second towers (In their defensive lane, the creep pull area) and intercepting the creep waves there. The Legionnaire's creeps push the tower, hurting it and making it harder to get lasthits while he and his lane mate get all the exp and gold from the enemy waves.
Any tips for countering this? It looks extremely powerful unless you can handle the creeps at the tower, you have 1 or 2 good nukers (Demented Shaman's heal comes to mind in this case since he'll be in the middle of every creep wave...) or a good gank (And they'll probably see that coming). But I haven't encountered this yet, so I'd like to hear your thoughts...
09-19-2009, 06:30 PM
kill him when he intercepts the creeps?
09-19-2009, 06:32 PM
It's really easy if you have ranged heroes/heroes with nukes & disables early on (if enemy Legionnaire is alone). If the enemy is smart enough to bring 1-2 supporting ranged heroes with him (Glacius/Pyromancer/Demented Shaman and the like), then it's a bit tougher because you either need to:
1) Let the tower tank the creeps (& tower hug)
2) Tank & kite the creeps yourself (& tower hug)
3) Drive the enemy heroes out of the lane
Otherwise the enemy heroes would kill you
Have a ranged hero and kite him to hell.
09-19-2009, 06:33 PM
It's best to turn it into a 3v1/3v2. Get someone else from another lane to help you as soon as you see Legionnaire coming. If you're ranged the better. Disable works well too. It's tough to beat, but it's far from impossible. With a bit of micro and common sense you should be able to take him out.
09-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I've encountered it a couple of times. It's ideally done with legionnaire being followed by a support hero such as accursed/jereziah/demented shaman in order to keep axe's health up and lock the lane down.
The method of countering is as follows
1. Don't be trapped into engaging them. If you fight them you fight away from your tower and enemy creeps, and you will have 100% xp deny. Don't engage them, just stick to your tower and last hit the enemy creeps (which is really easy since the only other source of damage is your tower). Successful last hitting on your part means level and gold parity, and an easy early tower deny since your tower will be soaking all the damage.
2. When ready, ace axe with magic direct damage. Not hard, just send your defiler/zeus/pyro/lich/necrolyte down from mid to ram his ass into the ground. Axe setting himself up in lane makes it quite easy to approach and kill him, and cover all escape routes