PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional magmus builds?

Jesus
03-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Magmus is one of my favourite heroes but I've never really read any guides for him. I checked out the premium guide and I honestly wasn't impressed. I also checked out some DotA SK guides since it's the same hero and again, I wasn't impressed. Every guide I've seen either tells you to max volcanic touch along with stun or skips steam bath. My personal build for magmus is either:

A) Stun/stats until level 6, max steam bath
B) Stun/steam bath

I find volcanic touch just nukes waves when you try to static farm for a PK. I also find that the invisibility AFTER cancelling steam bath is just way too good for juking, especially in combination with his stun to go over terrain after you've abused FOW. Is there anything wrong with these skill builds? I sometimes level volcanic touch if I feel that I need to push lanes hard (30mins into the game, enemy still has their T1 towers). It seems useless for escaping, ganking and team fights. Things which I feel magmus can excel at.

This brings me to my next point: Item build. The cookie cutter build is: Marchers/Ghost Marchers/Striders, Chalice or Bottle, PK and/or Shrunken head. I don't think anyone would have a strong disagreement with that build. You could argue about the boot types with someone who build them or argue about the pros and cons of PK vs Shrunken but at the end of the day they are BOTH effective. However, I'm looking for something different. I want to augment the abilities of being able to escape in clutch situations, gank like a boss and wreck entire teams. So I started building magmus like this:

Ghost Marchers/Striders, Chalice, PK, SoTM, Spellshards and if the game went on so long, we were winning and they didn't concede I'd get a mock. I don't like shrunken on magmus, his ulti-blink-stun combo is fine and even if he gets disabled and dies right after, he's done his job. Chances are with sotm-spellshards they won't get time to disable you.

Now, what I'm really looking for is a build which is completely unconventional. I tried Eul's (Storm spirit) on SK a long time ago and while it worked, it was lackluster. You get into a problem of contention between PK and Storm spirit. Storm spirit is a lot better if you get it first and can use it near the end of the laning phase. Stun -> Hit until not stunned -> Storm spirit -> Wait 0.5 seconds -> Press R. Doing that allows you to solo gank if you don't have any other disables or you can't rely on your team BUT removes your teamfight effectiveness. So, strategy forum can you give me some crazy item/skill builds for magmus that just might work? I'm not interested in Runed axe carry magmus but I'm definitely going to give Storm spirit a chance, maybe a Shrunken head + Restoration stone combo? I imagine Kuldra is far better than Storm spirit, but also costs a lot more. Frostfield would add an awesome extra AoE slow and more damage to the ultimate. But I can't really think of anything else. Have I missed something? I'm open to suggestions but it seems no matter how you look at it, you're always sacrificing teamfight potential if you don't rush a PK or Shrunken.

Pikling
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Thats the standard build....

Atticus
03-04-2011, 02:02 PM
The pk I think is the must. The shrunken is nice but skilled players can get the ult off with out it and once your ult is cast getting stunned doesnt matter if you are right on top of them from a good port. I have seen the typical pk, shrunken, and sotm alot. I have however playeed with a magmus that had pk, steam boots, a brut, and a hellflower. It is a really odd build and took him 40+ mins but he did well with it. I dont have a build to recommend just naming off an odd build I say in game.

RyHon
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Shrunken head is good to get over portal key if you are against TB, SW, or Vindicator.

Jesus
03-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Thats the standard build....

Well the premium guide recommends 1 level of steam bath and maxed volcanic touch. I also said I'm looking for other builds.

The pk I think is the must. The shrunken is nice but skilled players can get the ult off with out it and once your ult is cast getting stunned doesnt matter if you are right on top of them from a good port. I have seen the typical pk, shrunken, and sotm alot. I have however playeed with a magmus that had pk, steam boots, a brut, and a hellflower. It is a really odd build and took him 40+ mins but he did well with it. I dont have a build to recommend just naming off an odd build I say in game.

Hellflower is something I may have to try sometime. An item which gives enough mana regen and a 5 second silence + damage increase on a single target could, in the right situational win games. Helps solo gank like storm does too I think i'd skip the brutalizer. The idea seems ok but unsound, magmus has a lack of attack speed and so it's unreliable.

The reason I prefer PK over SH is simply because I can get off perfect ulties with PK (delayed shift-queue for max accuracy and carnage) and an SH ulti has two disadvantage: 1) It can be cancelled by a taunt, any of panda's skills or any ultimate with a stun or ministun. 2) The enemies will scatter if they can't cancel it. However, I think I COULD ulti-surge pretty well since I'm commonly doing ulti-blink-surge combos at max range for a ~2k range ulti initiation skipping the PK for a different item forces better positioning and when positioning is good PK seems like a waste. Yes, you miss more ticks of the ulti but can you justify 2.1k gold for a few ticks if you get perfect initiations with ulti-stun? Thanks for the input. Hellflower seems like a good idea if practised although I can only test it by trying.

sweplayerdtf
03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
striders wards bottle wards pk wards wards wards

Jesus
03-04-2011, 02:30 PM

Not really unconventional but I stopped playing a roaming magmus with bottle since if mid is good they'll get all the runes as they spawn. I roam with striders and chalice, warding as I gank lanes. Sometimes people play passively and you just can't gank though.

ScubaDave135
03-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Magmus is of course known for his ult. If you want to use him effectively you have to max that skill to its full potential. I've run a practice game testing the effects of SotM compared to spellshards and have found that maxed spellshards can deal more damage. So I always max spellshards, then go for a SotM late game. Of course, before getting either of these you obviously need the pk.
And as far as building his skills, its always going to be situational. I get one level of steam early if i think i need to escape alot from my lane. And if not, I go ahead and try to level my volcanic touch. Thanks to the previous update, you can now toggle this skill so it's not getting in your way till your ready to use it. Once you get this skill to level 2, i usually will head into the woods and try to farm my pk as fast as possible

Chinekafon
03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
unconventional is mag mid maxing the passive...
=D

Teboga
03-04-2011, 03:07 PM
If you want to go unconventional, just build carry Magmus...

Steamboots, Chalice, PK, Daemonic, Frostwolf

MakeAltDie
03-04-2011, 03:22 PM
This is my Devourer Build, ROFL.

Omgopolis
03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Spellshards after the PK is pretty nice for damage and the lower cooldown. His passive is worth getting if you want to push hard, but I wouldn't get it early unless you're against a lane without much ranged power.

Vengeance351
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I would assume the reason that people get more into the passive is because steam bath doesnt work on neutral creeps, but VT does. So if you stack a few camps you can get pretty decent money early on by stunning in and finishing off low creeps. This makes getting core items such as PK easier.

MrBigHuge
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
A) Stun/stats until level 6, max steam bath

This should never be a skill build order. Magmus doesn't really have that much survivability, so being able to disjoint scary spells is a good idea. The damage from steambath is pretty decent, especially if you have more than 1 person in it.

You were talking about how volcanic touch explodes creep waves, it does this - but you can just sit there with steambath and kill most of them anyway, this also prevents you from having the urge to use your stun to farm so you can be more useful if there's a gank you need to get to.:HomecomingStone:

I am shocked that guides say to max volcanic touch - especially since I haven't seen a single 'pro' do this.

Kudryavka
03-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Volcanic Touch is bad, especially maxing it, since the first level gives you almost half of the dmg of the 4th. Not getting PK, at least at some point, is bad.

That said, if you want something off the wall, build Tablet and shift-queue it with ult and stun just like you would with PK. Tablet + Stun gives you 1200 range to play with for initiation, and Tablet isn't disabled by damage, and it's cheaper and has stats. You might lose an extra wave from your ult since Tablet isn't instant, though.

siknoz
03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
in dota for pubstomping I use to do battle fury(runed axe) > sny(frostburn) > heart(behemoth heart)....quite fun actually >). I always played with 2 or 3 friends though so we usually had chain stuns so I would initiate with stun > pump ult > let friend(s) follow up with chain stuns(lina(pyro), sven(hammer), earthshaker(behemoth), etc) then auto attack to death...was pretty nutty tbh.

Lilwartz
03-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Pretty sure the premium guide suggests to max steam bath before vt

MarsRocks
03-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Touch or Bath is situational, yes it messes up your static farm but it lets you destroy neutral camps like nothing (stack 3x, surge hit hit)
Items are usually striders and bottle early for ganking until you get PK
Luxury for me 99% of the time is frost field plate. I pk and ult, stun, then frost then steambath. The slow keeps them all in your steambath which deals like 400+ dps combined to all enemy heroes.
THEN maybe I will get spellshards, which buffs the dmg from frostfield too.
IMO staff of masters is a terribad item that I would only ever get if my farm was so shitty that I could only build up small items at a time... but then I must have failed my ganking and thus probably already lost the game.
Oh yea, pick up wards whenever someone else isnt. You need vision to ult.

dejori
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Unconventional but viable!

2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 4 s 4 3 3 3 3 4

Bath first build, not just odd but actually totally baller against certain lanes. If they have no or very weak AOE spells bath-first mag can easily 1v2 and keep them off the creeps. Works best in conjunction with a ranged hero to farm and keep the lane static or a jungle hero to pull creeps.

TRYTROUSERS
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
when i play him i max stun, one volcanic touch ult at 6-11-16 and stats all the way until maxed out.

basically because his stats and melee attack are horrible and 90% of what you do is stun and then die, or ult the enemy, stun, and then die.

Ghidoran
03-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Magmus is not just about his ulti. For the first half of the game I rarely use my ult, I play him as a semi-roamer and so focus on getting good stuns and what not. Never underestimate his stun, it's his best skill.

Twine
03-05-2011, 06:19 PM
A friend of mine has a build dubbed 'surfin magmus.'

Portkey > Tablet > Charge. Initiation from forever away.

MahonY
03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
chalice, steamboots, pk, 3x runed axe

gaydads
03-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I think a nullstone after pk is a lot of fun. Not sure how unconventional that is though.

damancy
03-06-2011, 12:53 AM
touch stat touch stat go go auto atk !

SkyneT
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I never find myself going into stats as magmus, All of his abilities are too good not to get imo. Double bracer :D