PDA

View Full Version : Early armour vs. Early damage block

painkiller`
02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
What makes more sense for non-agi heroes? (I almost exclusively play intellect heroes, but the question extends to strength as well)

Looking at some of the graphs here (http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showpost.php?p=444209&postcount=7), you would think damage block. But that's just a 60% chance (if you buy an :IronBuckler:) instead of a % of damage block (and hence, kinda scaling).

Armour usually means a :GuardianRing:, which later turns into a :RingOfTheTeacher: in lane, which is an underrated item IMO. The +3 armour is nothing to laugh at early game (especially if you're playing a strength hero). There isn't much you can do with a :IronBuckler:. Plus it's more expensive as well.

KalurO
02-04-2011, 10:07 AM
:RingOfTheTeacher: underrated?! I'm surprised when i dont see one in my games.
Almost every game has at least one on both teams.

Ripoff
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Unless you are QUITE special: No

painkiller`
02-04-2011, 10:11 AM

There are very few heroes I see it on. It's usually the pushers (heroes with minions) or the :NomesWisdom: candidates (the pure supports). I'm talking about going mid as :pupp::doct: and buying it, or as :mali: in sidelane and buying it.

The question wasn't about :RingOfTheTeacher: though. It was about damage block vs. armour.

Fidel
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I've wanted to know this too actually. Whether going for the block is better than having Armour ?

drakkardNOIR
02-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I think RotT is great on DR as a secondary item, i.e. start with 2x 3+. 2x totems, and blights/pot and then go bottle -> (psupply) -> RotT. Especially since he starts with great armor, the +5 puts him over the edge and give him a much larger chunk of reduction than most heroes. Plus the increased damage and mana regen are nothing to scoff at for a hero that can take advantage of both early in both ganking and farming creeps.

When I play melee heroes, I never start with +armor if I'm soloing a lane (such as a solo Elec/Tundra/Fayde). Damage block helps you get away with drawing creep aggro much better than just straight armor, as you can block a larger portion of their damage. In a sidelane, where your ranged partner will be the one manipulating the creeps, I will think of starting with a guardian ring on Elec, as the early RotT ups his overall mitigation a lot and lets him keep the lower level electric shield up to kill even if you're getting dinked by the creeps.

Also, if the opposing team has a Deadwood on it, every hero needs to build either Plated Greaves, RotT, or an Astrolabe. Any of those items cause DW's burst to drop off prematurely, and not being able to even one-shot your supports is pretty demoralizing. A lane where you are expecting something like a Panda/Dsham also needs early armor, so one player should grab a Guardian Ring and finish the RotT as soon as possible. It definitely removes the cheese aspect of their early physical burst damage, making it a much more manageable lane.

PrestonLee
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
you could just get both if you're getting harassed a lot, they're both cheap as hell.

armor's better for ranged heroes if you want to think of it like that, and you can benefit from the mana regen on rott a lot as well. plus it also gives +6 damage and allows capability of making pushing the lane easier.

get buckler on ranged if you plan to go hotbl, otherwise don't bother unless for some reason the heroes you're against in your lane both rely on auto attacks to get dps out (which is kinda fail), then iron shield is a consideration

tl;dr - grab block if you're melee and expect to get harassed by ranged auto attack's a lot, don't grab block on ranged unless you're going hotbl; more armor's always good in general

`Clarityy
02-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Damage block is better early, armor is better later.

As for Ring of the Teacher, I see it on everyone.

Ranged carried in trilanes get it, solo sidelanes like hag/bubbles get it, junglers like tempest/wb get it.

edit: and yes, naturally block is better if you're melee, cause it blocks more, almost goes without saying.

yyr_
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Block is better.

Droggeltasse
02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Its not the :RingOfTheTeacher: who is underrated it is :Astrolabe:
People underestimate that +5 stats +250heal +5/7 armor is huge. And on alot of ranged heroes its way better then :HelmOfTheBlackLegio as long as you have the mana for it and dont get stunlocked.

zergscum
02-04-2011, 05:31 PM
in terms of damage prevented block is a lot cheaper than armor early in the game

as the game goes on armor gets better and better and block gets worse and worse

ring of the teacher isn't just armor, it's mana regen, pushing, and damage

MR_BIRD
02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
From level 1 to 7 I believe, damage block is very important ( i mean that 250 shield ), it can reduce the auto attack from heroes and CREEPS greatly. Hotbl is a different thing, as it gives you hp boost and more damage block, it is very effective before 20 minutes, any heroes with it are almost unkillable. Armor is getting more and more important as the game goes on.

Yoda``
02-05-2011, 05:35 PM
:IronBuckler::MysticVestments: are probably the 2 most cost-efficient items in the game but sadly a lot of player think its a priority to "finish" items so they dump an extra 1975 (vs 250) for :HelmOfTheBlackLegio or 1650 (vs 400) for :ShamansHeaddress:.

I don't know how hard the DR hits armor but 10-15 armor will make you a hell lot more tanky than 3-8 armor + Helm. Over 20 is probably overkill and it becomes a wasted stat.