PDA

View Full Version : Shift-Queue Serverside or Clientside?

MichaelBurge
09-03-2010, 01:09 AM
I play with pretty high ping on EU servers alot, and was wondering whether it's worth practicing my shift-queue micro. If the queue command is sent to the server, then you could combo skills like Dark Lady's without much loss while it's virtually impossible to play her without it.

I tried a quick no stats with a friend, but I wasn't quite convinced either way because of my reaction time being thrown in there. I wasn't able to find anything on the search either. Are spells/items queued serverside or clientside?

man_guy
09-03-2010, 01:16 AM
If you have a friend with you, it would be really easy to test in a 1v1. Run from one side of the map to the other and queue up whatever. Disconnect and ask your friend / watch replay if you do anything afterwards.

Edit: also untick walk to base on dc.

tastive
09-03-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't know, but here's how I think you could test it.

Set up a no stats game with your friend. Pick Electrician, and play for a few minutes to max out Grip. Also have at least one point in Electric Absorption.

Grip your friend, shift-queue the nuke, and disconnect. Make sure you have the option that makes you run back to base when you disconnect disabled. Your friend will see whether or not you nuke when the grip ends. (For the sake of clarity for others reading the thread -- if the nuke goes off while Electrician is disconnected, then shift-queuing is stored server-side. Otherwise, it's client-side.)

Real_Wolf
09-03-2010, 03:07 AM
If the disconnect thing doesn't work, get your friend (on your team) to shift que a few things,a nd when you come back, see if they occur.

On a sidenote, shift queuing dark ladies skills won't be faster than your 200 ping most of the time (assuming you play from US?), as her backswings will be more than that (I think, well I play with under 300 but more than 200 ping every game (dumb no australiasian server), and its way way faster to animation cancel than wait for backswings on almost everything)

MichaelBurge
09-03-2010, 04:21 AM
A friend verifies that I continue running around in queued circles after I disconnect.

If the disconnect thing doesn't work, get your friend (on your team) to shift que a few things,a nd when you come back, see if they occur.

On a sidenote, shift queuing dark ladies skills won't be faster than your 200 ping most of the time (assuming you play from US?), as her backswings will be more than that (I think, well I play with under 300 but more than 200 ping every game (dumb no australiasian server), and its way way faster to animation cancel than wait for backswings on almost everything)

Shows you how often I shift-queue things - I didn't realize queuing would wait for the entire animation instead of applying directly after the attack/cast point. That makes it much less effective than I was thinking. Another question to add is then:

When does shift-queuing help compensate for ping in a way better than animation canceling?

Vahn
09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
When does shift-queuing help compensate for ping in a way better than animation canceling?

Only two skills in the game i consider worth shift-queuing, which is elec's nuke to go off after the stun and to make magmus port in as soon as the ult channel ends.

Everything else i find animation cancelling to work better.
I'm from Aus btw, my normal game ping is 200 - 230.

Kwaidah
09-03-2010, 07:36 AM
u cant shift up portal key..

Vahn
09-03-2010, 07:39 AM

I think you need to go out and test things before you post, you can shift-Queu all commands in the game.

You can hold shift and a click in each neutral camp and watch you guy go kill each of them.

With magmus ult, Press R hold shift, then either press hotkey for pk (mines always in alt q) or click the item, while still holding shift click where you want to port, good idea is keep holding shift press Q and click on a hero.

the instant the channel ends watch as you Port over and stun the targeted hero (provided they are still in range.)

Rukii
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
lol :blac:

ANXIOUSLY
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Only two skills in the game i consider worth shift-queuing, which is elec's nuke to go off after the stun and to make magmus port in as soon as the ult channel ends.

Everything else i find animation cancelling to work better.

I like to shift queue abilities while TPing to a tower that's under attack.

ElementUser
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Shows you how often I shift-queue things - I didn't realize queuing would wait for the entire animation instead of applying directly after the attack/cast point. That makes it much less effective than I was thinking. Another question to add is then:

Yes, queuing sucks sometimes because it doesn't cancel backswings, however it has its uses.

Many cases for me:

-Walk in tree -> Hatchet/Runes of the Blight chop/eat a tree -> Shift-queue movement (I do this for eating a tree in lane simply for regen as well)

-Electrician's Grip -> Shift-queue Energy Absorption Combo

-Magmus' Ultimate -> Shift-queue Portal Key

-Pollywog Priest's Tongue Tied -> Shift-queue Morph

-Bottling rune -> Shift-queue movement (this one is buggy sometimes if you make your initial movement command too far)

Sku1l
09-03-2010, 11:27 AM
While Ulti goes on with Tempest -> Shift-queue Stun on the 'blinker'

Aray
09-03-2010, 02:33 PM

troll or just really stupid?

Loki
09-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I use it for:
Courier>E>Shift R>Q (bring item at full speed and go back)
Teleport>Shift walk (yes, I too clicked too early before I started using this)
Magmus ult>Shift PK
Elec stun>Shift nuke
Polly hold>Shift morph/nuke
Illusion control in enemy woods
Courier control when counterwarding or when in danger
Nymph tp>Shift stun
Tempest ult>Shift stun
Succubus>Shift nuke

Don't shift queue tree chopping, cancelling the animation goes faster. In general, the only spells worth queueing are channel spells longer than 2 seconds.

ElementUser
09-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Oops, I forgot the classic Courier shift-queues and the classic Succubus Hold -> Heartache shift-queue :).

But I do those.

I can argue with your last sentence though:

-Logger's Hatchet has 0 cast point & 0.2 seconds cast backswing, so fine about that. I actually never do it with Hatchet anyway =P
-Runes of the Blight has 0.05 seconds cast point & 0.05 seconds backswing, so shift-queuing Runes of the Blight or not barely makes a difference.

Shtabe
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
troll or just really stupid?

he probably uses a number as a hotkey for pk in which case you cant shift queue via keyboard

Techno_Mage
09-04-2010, 02:47 AM
it works with gladiator since he no longer has backswing on his spells(to be the same as dota) also i beleive dark blades is all castable on the move now so queshifting should work to move somewhere->use dark blades->charge, also you can shift que pebbles stuff as they are both 0 backswing(though shift queing AoE stun might not be greatest idea as they could moves as your doing the que and it isn't like you can't get the combo off anyways, but if for some reason you need an instant stun after portal key it can be used(note while it will be cast instantly it still has a .5 second delay till it stuns))