PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Repulsor!

sharpcat
07-29-2010, 03:53 AM
New hero has arrived, none other than Raijin Thunderkeg the Storm Spirit. This hero is alot of fun to play, and if built right can be considered much like Soul Reaper in that he can become an INT carry.

For item builds, I'm curious. My hazy memory of playing him back in DOTA was Sacrificial Stone and Sheepstick. Of course, that was a long time ago, and HON is different to boot. I was thinking something like Nullstone -> Frostfield might be better now.

What do you all think?

who8MyRice
07-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Nullstone is definitely a strong alternative to Bloodstone. Frostfield was always good luxury on Storm as well. Harkons might not be so bad either considering all your spells are magical.

velo
07-29-2010, 04:05 AM
It will most likely be Int Steamboots and some of these:

:SacrificialStone::FrostwolfsSkull::Nullstone::Kul drasSheepstick::Hellflower::FrostfieldPlate: maybe even :Puzzlebox:

Flowe
07-29-2010, 04:34 AM
nullstone and sac stone are probably the most common items on him in dota. determining which one to get obviously depends on the game, if nullstone is effective against that particular team then you opt for nullstone, if not you go for sacrificial stone. however one of the two should most often be your main pickup after boots/power supply or bottle etc. other common items are hellflower, sheepstick, frostfield, and post haste. i would only take post haste if you're playing more of the int carry role though, obviously.

edit: i would not consider frostfield plate a core item however because it simply adds raw int (+25 int from acolyte's) while other items considered core on stormspirit such as sac stone and nullstone are taken for the mana regen which is far more important due to his ulti being based off % of mana, not a set cost. thus when building stormspirit it is far more efffective focus on mana regen as opposed to raw mana. same goes to frostwolf skull although it's probably the best attack modifier for him

a really famous dota player known as YamateH utilized this build in a game:
hp pot/rune/minor x2/+3 int x2
finish talismans of exile
steamboots
codex lv1
sheepstick
shrunken head
mock of brilliance
warpcleft (didn't get to finish this item)

and performed very well with it.

obviously this build is pretty different from the norm and honestly i don't really understand the build myself so it'd be cool if a better player could shed some insight on this. i think it goes without saying that you need to be able to farm very effectively to pull this off though

Larcolith
07-29-2010, 04:35 AM
i dont think nomes can be passed up on this guy. My plan would be boots, nomes then depending on how well your going either storm spirit or kuldras.

rounding it out would be a frostwolf or sac stone

Jeffthrax
07-29-2010, 04:59 AM
@Flowe

It was probably situational... builds always change against the enemy/team line up.

radicalomg
07-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Hellflower is win on this guy.

Vodka
07-29-2010, 07:30 AM
It really depends on the enemy team. If they are full of single-target disables, Nullstone is the way to go as your first big item. If they aren't full of single-target disables but have more AoE or generally lack stuns/silences, just build whatever is more appropriate for helping you survive and counter their lineup. Shrunken head is probably a good item to build in the latter case after you've got some mana/mana regen going.

In general, Sheepstick is never bad on this guy because it gives him everything he needs on top of another 3.5 seconds of disable on top of 2.5 from the grip (<3). So definitely pick that up if you can, and don't neglect building tanky, because being able to initiate with ult + grip without getting disabled to hell can be very strong, but only if you can survive long enough to ult away from the fight again.

I don't think Nome's is that great on him simply because he needs WAY more than +1 mana per second to stay mobile and spam spells when he needs them. Sure, a manatube won't give you as much survivability, but Nome's is probably not going to do as much for him in terms of regen compared to simply getting a bottle and manatube on top of your usual boots. Besides, going for Nome's means you're playing more of a support role instead of a ganking/disabling/semicarry role.

tehKivi
07-29-2010, 07:47 AM
What about skillbuild for this guy, is the ulti worth taking level 6. I tried him out (Never played dota) but i didnt think his ulti did that much damage. Or was it just me misplacing the ulti? and as i saw initiating teamfights with ulti and grab is one way to go, but how about ganking. Should i start with grab then the nuke, then ulti to finish of or?

Rattfylla
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Here's a DotA guide for Stormspirit: http://www.dota-blog.com/2009/01/storm-spirit-raijin-thunderkeg-guide.html

Dragnmn
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
I think the ult shouldn't be used for the damage, just see it as a bonus. You should use it to get in, attack, disable, attack, explode, attack (whatever the skills are called). I got this from a DotA guide here: http://www.playdota.com/guides/the-era-of-bloodstone-is-over

Tryptophan
07-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Ulti is just for mobility and a way to keep up your Overload.

ElementUser
07-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Nome's Wisdom aura will probably not work with the continuous 10 + 1% of max mana consumed per 100 units moved.

Need someone to test this for me because I cannot patch atm

Mr_Fisterzzz
07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
This is personally my build

Start:

Ring of Armor
2x Runes of Blight
HP Pot
2x Mana pot

Mid game:
Steam Boots
Thunderclaw
Nomes Wisdom

Late game:
Shrunken Head
Sacrificial Heart

I bought them all in this order

What do you all think? I liked it.

Dragnmn
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
What's the point of Thunderclaw? I'd go for the Nullstone for the manaregen.

Mr_Fisterzzz
07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
What's the point of Thunderclaw? I'd go for the Nullstone for the manaregen.

The Thunderclaw gives nice attack speed, damage and passive. I found it was better late game when your spells weren't that effective.

It also helps you get your Sacrificial Heart a lot quicker.

itons
07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
video overview of his skills for the lazy ones :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qvVPaTUSw

Larcolith
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Only reason I say nomes is because in dota as long as SS had mana he was a threat. I only see him being more so if that mana is just waiting to be turned into life as he procedes to empty said mana pool by rolfing all over you.

Play testing required but ive always had a clarity addiction with this guy anyways, so the regen will hold out till I can get my sustainer.

As for skill build assuming the mana-damage co-effcient for your ult holds true from the dota port:

1st at 1/11/12/13
2nd at 4/8/9/10
3rd at 2/3/5/7
ult at 6/14/16 (if your really struggling for survivability/mana delay 2nd/3rd further for stats)

You'll be using your grip to power your 3rd skill where possible otherwise itll be your 1st skill, which we keep low because it increases in cost each level and the cd is the same. Your ult isnt used for damage as much as mobility so once again we keep in low till late-mid game to keep it affordable untill you have your mana issuses solved for the most part.

man_guy
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think Nome's is that great on him simply because he needs WAY more than +1 mana per second to stay mobile and spam spells when he needs them. Sure, a manatube won't give you as much survivability, but Nome's is probably not going to do as much for him in terms of regen compared to simply getting a bottle and manatube on top of your usual boots. Besides, going for Nome's means you're playing more of a support role instead of a ganking/disabling/semicarry role.

I think the idea behind it is to get potentially 25% heal on zero cooldown. It would be a decent idea if Nome's still had the 100% regen on it.

Kaesetorte
07-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Nome's Wisdom aura will probably not work with the continuous 10 + 1% of max mana consumed per 100 units moved.

Need someone to test this for me because I cannot patch atm

Nomes wisdom doesn't give him any HP at all when using the ulti.
Probably because of the invuln part of the skill.

Myolden
07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
This is personally my build

Start:

Ring of Armor
2x Runes of Blight
HP Pot
2x Mana pot

Mid game:
Steam Boots
Thunderclaw
Nomes Wisdom

Late game:
Shrunken Head
Sacrificial Heart

I bought them all in this order

What do you all think? I liked it.
Thunderclaw, come on... Probably works in 1300 psr EM games.

Tanubis
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Bottle is core.

I don't know if it works like DoTa, but any time you got a regen rune on him in dota you basically win the next teamfight hands down because you can use your ultimate infinitely without cost, flying back and forth through the enemy team for obscene invulnerable aoe damage.

who8MyRice
07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you drain a whole lot more mana compared to the rate of a regen rune.

Alex52
07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Dr. Repulsor + regen = won game, not just next team fight he can just zip back and forth infinitely and shred anyone he wants in the fountain.

Kaesetorte
07-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Charge drains 25% mana per second and regen rune gives 10% per second :P but yeah repulsor with reggen is awesome non the less.

Drasha
07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
stack null stones

DuckSoup
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty sure you drain a whole lot more mana compared to the rate of a regen rune.

Yeah but the fun thing is, the rune keeps on giving until your maxed out on mana. So once you hit the end of your mana, just wait a few seconds and keep spamming your ult. Until your hit you still have the regen.

Mr_Fisterzzz
07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Thunderclaw, come on... Probably works in 1300 psr EM games.

It works well.

oMMi
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I haven't managed to pick him yet because someone always does b4 me... But is it just or me or does he look like a giant tea cup...? I know this has nothing to do with strategy but I mean wtf? a tea cup?

Shoutenkou
07-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Here's a DotA guide for Stormspirit: http://www.dota-blog.com/2009/01/storm-spirit-raijin-thunderkeg-guide.html
I've found typical DotA fanatic, quoting from comments:

"

plz change back that old storm T.T
this storm i hate it !!!!!!!!

i vote it must change back!!!!!!!1
"

Sympathies
07-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Dr. Repulsor, AKA Dr. Teapot for those fortunate enough to have barely functional graphics cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsA0s3gx0s&feature=related

Tanubis
07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Dr. Repulsor, AKA Dr. Teapot for those fortunate enough to have barely functional graphics cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSsA0s3gx0s&feature=related

I like my awesome teapot, thank you.

T4l0n
07-30-2010, 10:34 AM
can someone tell me a good spell build ?

blueseph
07-30-2010, 10:59 AM
my build

1/3/1/2/1/6/1/max 3/max 2/ult when possible

items:
lifetube
manatube - sustainer
glowstone
beastheart
pickled brain - bloodstone
boots
gloves of the swift
bolstering armband - steamboots
lifetube
manatube - sustainer
blessed orb
nullstone recipe - nullstone
manatube
blessed orb
acolyte's staff - kuldra

if you farm any more than that, idk, get a behemoth's heart or something.

Glomby
07-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Can you play him on a side lane or is it a mid lane only hero?

Exactable
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
1/3/2/2/2/4/2/1/1/1 is the best build be far. Look at the first skill. The damage gain per level is pathetic and the mana cost goes up. May as well max your stun first. If you disagree you are wrong and I don't care.

who8MyRice
07-30-2010, 01:12 PM
As arrogant as may be, Exactable is right. There's no need to max out that nuke first. At level 1 it's already one of the most powerful in game spells. Hell I think it is the strongest. Cooldown always stays the same. Maxing out the passive early game is unnecessary as well. The stun is really the only option to go.

Cookiz
07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
I love Storm Spirit :) But hate the new design \:
Bought Charged Hammer on him from DotA. Its hella fun :D

jar
07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
The Thunderclaw gives nice attack speed, damage and passive. I found it was better late game when your spells weren't that effective.

It also helps you get your Sacrificial Heart a lot quicker.

Please please please don't ever build a thunderclaw on this hero. Useless item. Unless you're dicking around in a pub, in which case why not just buy a doom bringer.

sampsnic
07-31-2010, 02:08 PM
1/3/2/2/2/4/2/1/1/1 is the best build be far. Look at the first skill. The damage gain per level is pathetic and the mana cost goes up. May as well max your stun first. If you disagree you are wrong and I don't care.

^ this...

Either start 2 minor totems, 2 mark of novices, health pot, runes or courier, 2 minor totems, 2 mana pots, healing pot, runes.

Finish one Talisman of Exile, if you need the HP get a bracer, if not grab steamboots. Depending on the lineup after boots either rush nullstone or sac stone. Second Item I pick up is either sheepstick or hellflower depending on what's needed more.

He's a great mid with his high base damage and attack animation, but is also a successful side lane harasser who can last hit easily as well. Mine + auto attack at level 2 is extremely easy to push melee's back to the fountain fast, and at level 3 with a stunner it's almost a guaranteed kill. He can do well anywhere tbh, but is preferable in mid.

Flowe
07-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Nullstone should definitely take priority over sacrificial stone. Sac Stone offers more raw hp/mana, but max mana is useless on stormspirit as his ult is percentage based. And the extra hp honestly isn't that great because either way you're very squishy and you should be surviving by ulting away, not tanking damage. The only reason to take sacrificial over nullstone is if: 1) the team lacks singletarget spells for nullstone to be justified, or 2) you are confident that you will build 10+ charges on the sac stone. Otherwise nullstone provides much more survivability.

I built both nullstone and sac stone in a game once and I honestly didn't feel like it was worth it, it seemed like going kuldra's would have definitely been better, since it has +200% mana regen and the int boosts repulsor's damage. So unless you know you'll be stacking this stone heavily I don't think there's much point in taking it over null, or even after null.

Thunderclaw is a dumb item on repulsor, he farms fine with his passive + magnetic contraptions. Nome's isn't very efficient on him either since a majority of his mana is lost from his ult which I don't think nomes refunds? And it doesn't have the +100% mana regeneration that it used to.

R4GE
07-31-2010, 03:07 PM
It will most likely be Int Steamboots and some of these:

:SacrificialStone::FrostwolfsSkull::Nullstone::Kul drasSheepstick::Hellflower::FrostfieldPlate: maybe even :Puzzlebox:

Why are u called "bicycle"?

LaMode
07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
steambots nullstone Frostfield kuldras !!!

KalurO
08-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Bottle is core.

I don't know if it works like DoTa, but any time you got a regen rune on him in dota you basically win the next teamfight hands down because you can use your ultimate infinitely without cost, flying back and forth through the enemy team for obscene invulnerable aoe damage.

For clarification.. can you change direction mid flight without breaking ult?

I tried him once, but it seemes like a "Click and wait till he arrives at the point" situation.

Noia`
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
For clarification.. can you change direction mid flight without breaking ult?

I tried him once, but it seemes like a "Click and wait till he arrives at the point" situation.

Nope, once you click where to go he only stops when no mana is left.

TheRunThru
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I go power Supply ( because I love it), Steamboots, Sustainer-Nullstone, Harkons because honestly why the hell not.

Tanubis
08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
I honestly find rushing hellflower is worthwhile on him. It gives so much mana regen in relation to your mana pool that your ultimate becomes spammable.

Strangely, he is the only character in the game that I almost never buy boots on. An extra mana regen item is always a better use of the slot than the extra movespeed as soon as he hits level 6, because in any instance where increased movespeed is needed you pop your ultimate to reposition.