PDA

View Full Version : never played league of legends, too lazy to download. does it suck?



santa420
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
all ive seen of league of legends is gemplay footage on youtube and IT LOOKS RETARDED. the minions look gay and they light up red every time they take damage (WHICH JUST LOOKS SUPER ANNOYING) i dont know if yo can turn that off but it just annoyed me so much i never got to downloading it and playing


so my question is, ive heard league of legends sucks balls....

why does it suck?

or whats good about it?

what did you like to dislike about league of legends? should i "try" it??

still too lazy. rather play hon

vigz0r
07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
wow this thread again. nice job bro.

Rexarr
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
i played it for 5 minutes and couldnt take anymore of the cartoon graphics,exagerated colors,and ragnarok/grand chase like heroes,everything in that game is like,really gay,you dont play it after playing hon or even old war 3 dota

Mendo
07-23-2010, 04:17 PM
keep being lazy, leave that piece of crap to rot and die

Zasus
07-23-2010, 04:22 PM
i played it, its ok for a free game.

MrSmith
07-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok you know General Discussion means not really general. It means general but related to HoN.
Many people don't get that but yeah threads should be realted to HoN

Mattofla
07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
You're asking the HoN forum. Of course they are going to say it's terrible.

Basically, they dumbed down the game a tad and took out denying. Some people like it, some people think only people with downs could enjoy it.

Theta
07-23-2010, 04:24 PM
all ive seen of league of legends is gemplay footage on youtube and IT LOOKS RETARDED. the minions look gay and they light up red every time they take damage (WHICH JUST LOOKS SUPER ANNOYING) i dont know if yo can turn that off but it just annoyed me so much i never got to downloading it and playing


so my question is, ive heard league of legends sucks balls....

why does it suck?

or whats good about it?

what did you like to dislike about league of legends? should i "try" it??

still too lazy. rather play hon

Short answer: yes
Long answer: YEEEEEEEEEESSSS


It's a non competitive game pretending to be a little competitive. I've heard it is fun. My experiences with it were not enjoyable.

Issues I see:

Poor metagame
No Denying
No monetary death penalty for dying
Player abilities give an unfair adv
Matchmaking is pretty bad
Balance is a joke

Edit: People say its free and thus you should buy it. Honestly, HoN is $30 and if you are here you spent it, and $30 is not really much for a superior game.

I liken it to WoW vs F2P WoW Clones. You may not like WoW and that's fine, but as someone who has played both, WoW is superior to the F2P clones, but it costs money to play it.

Zasus
07-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Short answer: yes
Long answer: YEEEEEEEEEESSSS


It's a non competitive game pretending to be a little competitive. I've heard it is fun. My experiences with it were not enjoyable.

Issues I see:

Poor metagame
No Denying
No monetary death penalty for dying
Player abilities give an unfair adv
Matchmaking is pretty bad
Balance is a joke

don't forget that not all heroes are available and you'd have to be level 30(which i hear takes about month) to obtain them all. you have to "buy" them and buy glyphs, seals, etc.

ThunderCraft
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
IT LOOKS RETARDED. the minions look gay and they light up red every time they take damage

pretty much you have sumarised it all in 3 words OP

coley
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
If HoN made a flash game that you could play on an iPod nano you get LoL.

fresH
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
bad game
/thread

Futjee
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I just started playing it and played like 7matches with 4friends, 1 that plays hon. They all say kys as harddisken as dota/hon. Imo i dont like the no denieng and no gold loss on death, seems to me that pros arent that much better than noobs because of all the things that makes it easier.

Mattofla
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
My opinion probably doesn't count because I started out with LoL, having never played DotA, and am trying out HoN.

There are small things about LoL that i like that HoN doesn't have. It's mainly just interface and how the game looks. To me, HoN looks like it is zoomed in way too far. I'm still trying to adjust that to.

One thing about LoL I don't like is that the characters aren't always as interesting as Hon/DotA heroes. Many of them have the same moves but a tad different.

I personally like the runes/masteries/summoner spells system. Just a personal opinion. Do I like that flash is a get out of free card? No. But it is like a portal key to some characters where it makes a huge difference in positioning. Yeah, they could just make every spell an item, but there is always more than one approach.

The balance of champions isn't perfect, but it's not gamebreakingly overpowered. Same thing with HoN.

Also, you don't have to use real money to buy heroes like everyone seems to think. Just throwing that out there.

Fido
07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
the graphics look like crap. the only good thing about the entire game is that all heroes scale, so you don't completely rely on your allies to win like you do in HoN

C00LBeans
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
You need glyphs, zeals etc to make a hero any good.

If another player has tons of rune items on his hero and you don't there is bigger chance he ends up owning you.

The runes don't give that much advantage but they do help alot.

Balance in the game is **** and the game is a joke compared to DotA, it's embaressing that it's actually the creators of DotA that made the game.

Only thing good about the game is that it isn't as competitive and community is great.

But i wouldn't want too ask this question to HoN players, it's not really smart.

Balley
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Towers do to much damage. Some hereos are to op. U cant creep denie. U cant cut down trees to juke them.

kirbyruled
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
My opinion probably doesn't count because I started out with LoL, having never played DotA, and am trying out HoN.

There are small things about LoL that i like that HoN doesn't have. It's mainly just interface and how the game looks. To me, HoN looks like it is zoomed in way too far. I'm still trying to adjust that to.

One thing about LoL I don't like is that the characters aren't always as interesting as Hon/DotA heroes. Many of them have the same moves but a tad different.

I personally like the runes/masteries/summoner spells system. Just a personal opinion. Do I like that flash is a get out of free card? No. But it is like a portal key to some characters where it makes a huge difference in positioning. Yeah, they could just make every spell an item, but there is always more than one approach.

The balance of champions isn't perfect, but it's not gamebreakingly overpowered. Same thing with HoN.

Also, you don't have to use real money to buy heroes like everyone seems to think. Just throwing that out there.

Man if you are going to bother saying anything but LoL sucks can you at least tell the truth?

Heroes like Pyromancer, Witch Slayer and Torturer have what are basically carbon copies of each other's skills.

MrSnowman
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
It's like a 1000-1300 pub with a bad balance patch.
And they're not patching the game. The players are not getting better. Matchmaking is made on matches played rather than matches won/lost.

There's global skills that some heroes synergise well with. Some that are just very powerfull as a whole and some that I can't even understand why they put in there.

tl;dr: The game sucks. Play HoN (or dotA) instead.

FlaxDK
07-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I played LoL after having played HoN, and even if the game isn't as good, it's stil a fun game to play. If you're an experienced HoN player, you can go right into the game and dominate. I was able to have +10 scores in my second games already, and it only got better. There's a few fun heroes in the game that I wish would HoN would use. One of them is the little ninja that can has a skill set centering around "marks" - basically whenever you use an abillity or something is used against you, you build charges on the guy. Depending on xx charges, you can use an activate abillity to dmg and stun (if enough charges) add in a thrown shuriken, a madman like abillity (stalk) and a ultimate that is a cloud of lightning following you where you go for a limited duration. Forgot the hero name, but really wish hon would have a hero like that :p

Mattofla
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Man if you are going to bother saying anything but LoL sucks can you at least tell the truth?

Heroes like Pyromancer, Witch Slayer and Torturer have what are basically carbon copies of each other's skills.

I actually like LoL, bro. I have played it almost exclusively for the last few months. I never said that HoN was godlike and that all heroes are completely unique. But I do think that the heroes on LoL aren't as unique.

Diddy
07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Imagine if HoN only let you play a fraction of their heroes and they switched them up every week, forced you to buy/play loads of games to unlock heroes, had no denying, the game looks like it is going in slow motion, and it has only 12 year old kids playing.

Now think to yourself, is this a game you want to play?

Noxploder
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
why does it suck? In short it's called LoL... NOT a coincidence

or whats good about it? Nothing

what did you like to dislike about league of legends? should i "try" it?? Disliked the super mario graphics and super noobish gameplay and no don't try it

still too lazy. rather play hon U just made the right choice

OMGWTF
07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
i played it, its ok for a free game.

alien swarm on steam is a free game and it ****ing kicks ass, no micro-transactions, no compromises

Luke_Allstar
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM
it's good .. for a free game
i played it quite a long time before i finally could bring all my friends to HoN

what i don't like (besides unfair advantages if you play long enought, i mean, 20% crit at level one is just ridiculous) is that the newer heros are just about damage and spaming skills
and you can buy cheap manareg items, and than just spam you skills all day, an that is just annoying
if there would be a:ManaBattery: or :PowerSupply: in LoL, those items would be OP there
the most heroes are not as unique as the most HoN heroes are

and there is (almost) no juking, that makes me a sad :pand:

Fido
07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
to be honest the first game I played I went 28-2 with some guy called meepo and I didn't even know what I was doing. then I played another game with a hero that was like drow ranger but with valks arrow..raped again. the game is for little kids...minor leagues.

RedWrath5
07-23-2010, 05:01 PM
there is (almost) no juking, that makes me a sad :pand:

... ever juked in the brush?

LoL is ok, but i have a 130.0 k/d (yey, its that easy)

and you cant deny which is dumb

MoeRapples
07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
It's more accessible.

Since you're here that's obviously not an issue.

It's not BAD. Just different. And much more casual. The thing is heroes aren't all unlocked from the start. There's freemium garbage and meta grinding. The cartoony aesthetic isn't that horrible but I prefer the look of this game.

Play it with younger relatives? Or just play it to make yourself feel good as a player.
Really, it's practically impossible to play badly. I'm mega bad at HoN but I dominate in LoL.

Proxymate
07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
LoL is a lot easier and they got a lot of weird concept with their champions (mana, energy, health, shield, nothing). The graphics are cartoony but OK if you can stand it.

The most OP thing in the game is runes, you can't "buy" these with real money, but you can just boost your fantasycash income by spending money on boosts, so it's only unbalanced if you play the system.

HoN has some better features like replays and spectator.

The matchmaking in LoL is OK, if you want to play ranked games you have to grind up to lv 30 though.

Hero balance is a lot different. There's a thing called ability power, this makes casters scale. This also means that the game is a bit more lategame focused and the strategy parts are shallow.

There's a lot less stuns in LoL. In addition to that you can get some summoner spells that will help you out even if you screw up. This means that you can do stupid mistakes, but still be able to do well.

If anyone starts talking about "the LoL community is better" I will rage. LoL does not have a better playerbase. THey have the exact same amount of flamers and a ridiculous amount of 9-year olds who tends to spam the chat with irrelevant BS.

Asking what game is better won't get you far on this forum. I've tried to just pull out facts and differences and keep my own opinion out of this. I don't really care what game you're playing. I play mostly HoN, and then I play LoL when I'm slightly tired of HoN and want some pathetic killing sprees.

RejjeN
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
ragnarok
Eeeey! Don't you diss Ragnarok Online! (Unless of course, you were referencing Ragnarok Online 2... At which point, go right ahead.)

`Necroziel
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
i like both games, they are different

fatrend
07-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Heroes in LoL are very, very new and original in comparison to HoN's. It's alot of fun playing them.

The free weekly heroes forces you to play different roles and heroes, which can be a pain at times but you get an excuse to suck sometimes.

LoL doesn't crash as much as HoN.

Doesn't have voice chat, clunkier interface then HoN and a lack of depth. ANY hero can carry in LoL.

Crazyloon
07-23-2010, 07:49 PM
My unbiased opinion:

LoL is fun, it does not take long to learn, and leveling up your summoner gives you a reason to keep playing other than PSR.

There are some very different mechanics in LoL like tall grass that you can hide in and be right next to someone not visible. The tall grass mechanic causes many 3-5 man ganks in the first minute of the game.

LoL is much more forgiving to new players and as such requires much less skill to master. The heroes are balanced with mathematical formulas much like WoW is balanced (from what i've come to understand)

I've only played maybe 5-10 different characters from LoL, and I've only spent enough time to unlock 1.

In my opinion LoL is much better for the player on the go. If you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to a game of HoN, play a LoL, when you're bored... leave the game.

Also, 3 v 3 is much more prevalent, and to me, seems to be much more fun.

Phoxxy
07-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Short answer? haters gonna hate.

Long one?
Well, its OK. First of all its free and if you are patient enough to earn points by playing it you can get almost everything just by playing without spending any money on it. (the only thing that you cant buy for ingame points are skins and tbh, who needs them anyway?)

Even if its a dota copy, it plays different from hon and dota even if the main objective is still to destroy the enemys base.
You have more spells, no denies and herokills give a way more gold and xp than farming a lane, so there are no real "lol i farm for 40 mins with my agicarry" and more 5v5 teamfights than in hon or dota.
( Im talking about highlevel games, if you start to play it, the games until level 5 or something will be a pain in the ass, with noobs that you cant even imagine at hon)
Also its more "relaxed" you will still have several flamers but somehow ppl in lol doesnt seem to care that much about their stats as in hon.


Just give it a try its free after all. I play hon and lol and like them both in a different way.

HoroChan
07-23-2010, 08:39 PM
There are 30 different wingbows in LoL

Izman
07-23-2010, 08:50 PM
I admit. I played LoL and enjoyed it. It was the time when HoN went retail and I didn't have the money to get HoN. I played it for about a month, and this is my conclusion.

The game is a farm off. Most teams end up staring at each other at mid and wait for one person to get out of line and peg them off. Because no one can really initiate well (out of the 10 heroes a week you get to play, you're lucky to get one that can), everyone just sits and farms.

In a 3v3 though, there's more ganking; which i liked. Although, it was a major turn off because:

No denying
Farm > ganking
In 5v5, stare contest
People who buy riot points get access to gay heroes like Ezreal who is super over powered. Mainly, the more riot points you spend, the more overpowered a hero is.
It's not competitive at all

Claymore
07-23-2010, 09:13 PM
The only good thing I can think of about the game is singed. Would love to see something like him brought to hon tbh. Nothing like chasing someone into their base from the lane with all the towers up for the kill.

CronoDroid
07-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Personally, I don't think enough HoN players have actually played LoL long enough to realize stomping pubs is really easy when you first start, but if you keep playing beyond Lv15-20 it gets much harder. You start facing arranged teams and other hardcore LoL'ers that have forked out the cash and time to unlock a lot of heroes and runes so they can assemble facerolling teams that you have zero chance against if you're solo queuing.

As for the game, it's pretty fun, the thing I like the most are the different and unique heroes that aren't in HoN or DotA like Poppy, Kassadin and Shen. Every hero does scale to a certain extent, but nukers obviously carry no where near as hard as actual autoattacking carries. Someone mentioned above that there aren't a lot of stuns in the game, which is true especially compared to HoN or DotA. Spells are also on much shorter cooldowns (which can be reduced further with a fair few items) and cost much less mana than in HoN, which does lead to a spammy game. Silences are much more powerful in LoL than in HoN since there are so many heroes that rely on their skills to pump out damage. Only a few heroes really carry through pure autoattacking like Jax, Ashe or Master Yi. Thus while it is true you can get evasion items really early, the lack of autoattacking DPS in the game makes evasion nowhere near as useful as magic resistance for example. And yeah, items stack in LoL. Last hitting is also somewhat harder in LoL than in DotA or HoN, so people use spells from Lv1 to farm creeps.

Another good thing about LoL is the heavy emphasis on ganking and pushing. LoL is nowhere near the turtlefest that is DotA, and much faster paced than HoN. Games beyond 35mins are rare in my experience. While there are more creeps in waves, farming is much harder in LoL and the bounty from creeps is pretty low, leading to the game being focused around ganking. Unlike in HoN where a failed gank will leave you low on XP and low on farm and potentially dead with half your gold missing, no gold loss means you can gank without too much of a drawback, and succeeding gives you tons of gold in return. Since people are ganking more, you'll often be ganking people on multi-kill streaks that give progressively higher bounties (ranging from 300-1000 gold).

As for appearances, it looks fine. I'm not sure why so many people hate on the "cartoony" and bright graphics. It's very clear to anyone with Eyeball Mk 1 what is happening if you've played a few games. Yeah, HoN looks better to be sure, but LoL isn't an eyesore. I think most gamers are just babies, or blinded by hate for such an unfaithful DotA "clone". My advice is to treat it like a brand new MOBA game instead of a successor to DotA. It's really nothing like DotA and expecting DotA 2.0 will just leave you disappointed. I admit I came into LoL with HoN and DotA prejudices but after giving LoL a chance I realized it's very different and a worthy game in its own right.

That being said, it isn't as good as HoN. Period. HoN is so much more professional in its dedication to a competitive gaming experience (actual game modes, spectators, replays and stat tracking) which benefits all players. But LoL is very fun in its own right and considering it's free, it's worth it even if all you're gonna do is stomp Lv1 noobs for a week or two.

radiomaryja
07-23-2010, 10:45 PM
somebody used good word for LoL

CASUAL


and thats how you should look at it. its casual mutation of games like hon/dota/demigod. you can jump in straight to game and pretty much play a good game. graphics is always matter of taste - too cartoony for me - but people like it. its free, there is some runes crap. yes, you buy heroes not for money but for some ip points you get for wins or something like that.

if you looking for game to play quick and without raging community feel free. for me it feels like game for 12-14 y/o tbh, but i know plenty of older people who play it just because of its simplicity comparing to similar games.

Proxymate
07-24-2010, 07:58 AM
So I thought I'd post a link to a neutral review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0hSyBVG_Rc

HOLYoleg
07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/693lolface.jpg

Draxx
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
1. LoL is easier for bad players, especially people who don't want to actually try to improve and get better, potentially by watching honcast.com etc.
2. LoL is less punishing to making mistakes, such as giving up first blood etc. because you don't lose gold
3. LoL is one of those games that if you're bad, you can spend real money to get boosts to your free-point gains so you get 2x the free points.
4. LoL makes HoN EM look like normal.
5. LoL effectively makes you want to play a lot, because you get to see your points totals go up and you can almost think you are accomplishing something, but then you remember HoN is better.
6. LoL summoner skills feel like crappy band-aids to items they should have added, like warp key. There are no shrunken heads, either.
7. Because of the lack of necessary items, most melee heroes have a built-in leap style attack, which can turn into huge melee parties which are very EM-like.
8. LoL has items that give +ability power, which lets casters scale into lategame. This is good in some ways, and bad in others. Basically everyone turns into a carry so there are no truly good support abilities.
9. No couriers in LoL. It's a travesty.
10. No homecoming stones. You get infinite use of recall, which ports you to base but breaks on damage, and as one of your two summoner abilities you can get a teleport spell on a 400-sec cooldown or something that lets you port to any allied minion.

Not to mention the problem with 10-rotating "free unlocked" heroes per week, and that the unranked games are solely "blind pick" type picking. Which is really lame when 4 of the 5 players in the game are a mirror match. Going up against the same hero is just really fail as it removes any strategy really.

For some reason I'm still playing LoL. I guess I wanted to really give the game a chance to see if it's worth playing. It's really annoying that they just gave up on making early game interesting. Nubs just don't understand how important early game kills / denies are and pretty much the people bad at it complained a lot and thus LoL was created. Anything "hard / micromanagey" like denies and couriers just got pulled from the game. Idiots just want a totally easy mode rush level 18 (they don't go to 25, each of the three main skills have 5 ranks and 3 ult ranks, no option of picking stats) and it won't surprise me if another game gets made at some point where all the idiots in the world can pick their favorite dude and pick out all their top-end weapons and just start at level 18 and go autoattack eachother.

Basically, it's a game for idiots who don't find it interesting to work their way up the ladder to a win, and all have wet-dreams of being the uber-carry (who is being supported by 4 other guys who do the dirty work). Since they have no possibility of ever actually being the uber-carry because in HoN they only get in games with other sub-1500 morons all trying to play agi carries, their only recourse is LoL.

The only good thing about LoL is if I have to go AFK I don't feel so bad, and most likely I can catch up with the game in not too long. If I want some serious play though, definitely HoN.

LadyGaga
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I would say they're about equal. Both communities nurse a hate for each other for reasons I cant understand, petty most likely. Anyways, I alternate between both HoN and LoL. LoL is balanced about as much as HoN is, each have a few unviable heroes, but overall most are viable. Runes are easy to get through just playing a game or two.

tl;dr: Play both, they're both very good games.

_RaiJiN_
07-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I play both games, but tbh i like League of Legends more, now flame me :P

SSTHZero
07-24-2010, 12:00 PM
The only good thing in LoL is... you can play it at kitchen.
http://i.s8.com.br/images/housewares/cover/img1/21388901_4.jpg
You can install it in your microwave oven.

Forfeit
07-24-2010, 12:10 PM
If you really like HoN, don't play League of Legends. I'm not going to say that it's a steaming shitpile, but it's a very different game. It's much more Modern Warfare 2-ish, where the more you play (and pay), the more stuff you unlock that actually affects the game. That's the main reason I don't like it.

Also, the graphics, while not bad, take some getting used to.

There's a lot of other small things I don't like as well (no denying, etc), and there's a lot of things that are actually very well done (how the item shop shows you what low-level items can progress into).

To sum up, it's a different game. If you're happy with HoN, you probably won't be as happy with LoL.

Syf
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
LoL is glaringly imbalanced, I played beta and got around to playing two heroes a lot, tryndamere and soraka.

Tryndamere: His passive increases his crit damage the lower health he has (2xdamage to 3x damage)
1. He gains charges on creep kills, stacking up to 10, that increases his attack speed and crit chance per charge, he can consume the charges to gain about 800 health total.
2. His second ability is a whirlwind that works as a disjoint/blink and deals damage to a traveled location.
3. His third ability is an aoe damage reducer, and if the opponent is turned away from you, it slows.
4. His ult gives him full charges on ability 1, and doesn't let him die for 12 seconds, combining this with his passive, he starts hitting hard.
There is a cleave item and an item that instakills creeps, stack these two and you can clear a creep wave in one hit, or the jungle in about 30 seconds, it takes me about 10 minutes to get both, then about 20 more to get all of my wingbowish items. Infinity edge, trinity force, and a lifesteal item + boots and my farming tools at 30, you would crit for 1000 a hit, not die, and have 75% crit chance. Grossly imbalanced? By far. I went back to LoL recently and found that this hero hasn't changed. So yea, I stomped games for a bit(around level 20)

Also, no tp, no courier, and almost no initiators makes the game so slow, standoffish, and farm friendly.

DarkWarrior
07-24-2010, 12:41 PM
If you suck at a 1000+ PSR APEM game in HoN, you can still dominate in LoL.

That should give you some insight to the difference in difficulty, at least.

Saturo
07-24-2010, 01:49 PM
If you really like HoN, don't play League of Legends. I'm not going to say that it's a steaming shitpile, but it's a very different game. It's much more Modern Warfare 2-ish, where the more you play (and pay), the more stuff you unlock that actually affects the game. That's the main reason I don't like it.

Also, the graphics, while not bad, take some getting used to.

There's a lot of other small things I don't like as well (no denying, etc), and there's a lot of things that are actually very well done (how the item shop shows you what low-level items can progress into).

To sum up, it's a different game. If you're happy with HoN, you probably won't be as happy with LoL.

Lol at comparing Lol with modern warfare.. The unlock system in MW2 is fun and you unlock everything in about a week at average playtime. For Lol you need YEARS to unlock everything because they WANT you to get bored with the few heroes you have and pay money to unlock more.

Also Lol could be a game from year 2000 and still nobody would say anything special about the graphics because they are just lame.

But the main point for me why Lol isnt fun is because the gameplay is somehow "delayed and clumsy". Hon is so smooth and your hero reacts instantly but in Lol it just feels alot slower...

tehdef
07-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Well, here are my thoughts on LoL, as I just started playing in the last week, and basically spent the money to make it a "complete" game.

It's enjoyable, and more people from my workplace play it due to it's Free, and Casual nature.

I do actually find the game enjoyable, but I do also get frustrated at some of the obvious inbalances in the game. Such as in the 3v3 game we played yesterday, we had 3 very good hero's and a well balanced attack. However the other team picked Master Yi, which is one of the most unbalanced characters in the game, but also extremely squishy.

Some of the ideas and skills for the heroes they supply is amazing. All heroes having a passive is GREAT, and really makes some of the heroes nice.

Their item system is junk. It's so confusing and there are so many items, and I have trouble navigating the terrible UI implementation they have for it. HoN's item interface while much smaller, is decisively simpler and easier to maneuver. Far too many items crammed into to small of a space and it has a BACK Button. Really? A Back button? Give me a break. Frustrating as hell.

Now don't get me wrong, again some of the ideas they have for items are great, and provide a cool element to the game. Unfortunately though, some of the items in the game almost become necessary due to how large of health pools player can get.

I also like the idea of Ability Power. This usually provides at least 2 ways to build those "in between" characters. I've seen what appear to be melee carries stack ability power and be equally as dangerous if they stacked attack power. Additionally, it helps with balancing out the "Int" heroes in the late game. Whereas we have issues with heroes like Bubbles only becoming a Support based hero, and solely relying on his Ult and Sheepstick to be helpful, they are able to scale how hard an attack hits another player throughout the entire game.

I do get frustrated at the lack of things such as no Teleport Runes, Portal Keys, Runes of Blight, 2 Minute Runes, Axes, etc... But overall the game isn't bad for being "casual" orientated. I do find myself missing a lot of the HoN mechanics.

Brush is a very cool element that maintains the same sort of Fog of War we have, but to a bit more effectiveness.

All in all, I find myself happy with the differences of the 2 games, and realizing that I can play a game of LoL within 25 seconds, where as a MM game of HoN might take me 5 minutes while being perpetually worried that I will be on a bad team drop even further on my PSR and tank my KD Ratio, or get a leaver. LoL I can just sit back and casually laugh at the situation.

Oh, 2 heroes being the same on opposite teams is completely retarded. I heard that this gets more "competitive" at level 30 due to the Banning Draft gameplay element being incorporated, but even still.

All in all, a good break from HoN when I don't want to worry about rating, and play with some friends from work. Plus since it's new, it's got a bit of an allure. I'd definitely like to take some of the gameplay elements, and or heroes and put them into HoN. Same with some of the items. I suggest downloading it and just going into the game expecting to broaden your horizons and experience an alternate style of gameplay from HoN. Not as competitive, but definitely surpasses Demigod by leaps and bounds.

Mattofla
07-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Personally, I don't think enough HoN players have actually played LoL long enough to realize stomping pubs is really easy when you first start, but if you keep playing beyond Lv15-20 it gets much harder. You start facing arranged teams and other hardcore LoL'ers that have forked out the cash and time to unlock a lot of heroes and runes so they can assemble facerolling teams that you have zero chance against if you're solo queuing.

As for the game, it's pretty fun, the thing I like the most are the different and unique heroes that aren't in HoN or DotA like Poppy, Kassadin and Shen. Every hero does scale to a certain extent, but nukers obviously carry no where near as hard as actual autoattacking carries. Someone mentioned above that there aren't a lot of stuns in the game, which is true especially compared to HoN or DotA. Spells are also on much shorter cooldowns (which can be reduced further with a fair few items) and cost much less mana than in HoN, which does lead to a spammy game. Silences are much more powerful in LoL than in HoN since there are so many heroes that rely on their skills to pump out damage. Only a few heroes really carry through pure autoattacking like Jax, Ashe or Master Yi. Thus while it is true you can get evasion items really early, the lack of autoattacking DPS in the game makes evasion nowhere near as useful as magic resistance for example. And yeah, items stack in LoL. Last hitting is also somewhat harder in LoL than in DotA or HoN, so people use spells from Lv1 to farm creeps.

Another good thing about LoL is the heavy emphasis on ganking and pushing. LoL is nowhere near the turtlefest that is DotA, and much faster paced than HoN. Games beyond 35mins are rare in my experience. While there are more creeps in waves, farming is much harder in LoL and the bounty from creeps is pretty low, leading to the game being focused around ganking. Unlike in HoN where a failed gank will leave you low on XP and low on farm and potentially dead with half your gold missing, no gold loss means you can gank without too much of a drawback, and succeeding gives you tons of gold in return. Since people are ganking more, you'll often be ganking people on multi-kill streaks that give progressively higher bounties (ranging from 300-1000 gold).

As for appearances, it looks fine. I'm not sure why so many people hate on the "cartoony" and bright graphics. It's very clear to anyone with Eyeball Mk 1 what is happening if you've played a few games. Yeah, HoN looks better to be sure, but LoL isn't an eyesore. I think most gamers are just babies, or blinded by hate for such an unfaithful DotA "clone". My advice is to treat it like a brand new MOBA game instead of a successor to DotA. It's really nothing like DotA and expecting DotA 2.0 will just leave you disappointed. I admit I came into LoL with HoN and DotA prejudices but after giving LoL a chance I realized it's very different and a worthy game in its own right.

That being said, it isn't as good as HoN. Period. HoN is so much more professional in its dedication to a competitive gaming experience (actual game modes, spectators, replays and stat tracking) which benefits all players. But LoL is very fun in its own right and considering it's free, it's worth it even if all you're gonna do is stomp Lv1 noobs for a week or two.

/thread

IntErlIdEr
07-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I personally didn't like it. It takes a lot of time to actually interact with other humans, and it's already ingame - and is bad (the game).

~IntEr

afestis
07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Lol is nr 3 for most played game on gamespot counter right now.

Not seen hon even in the top 10.

I watch honcast, and i dont think i would enjoy similar cast with lol but its the game i prefer playing because...

Matchmaking takes forever, 10+ minutes and everyone in pubs are trying to trick u into fighting their premade team. I wonder where the 12 year old are hanging out, my bet its in hon.

The hon community is the bane of this game.

Codenius
07-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Casual is indeed a good word for it.

While throughout a game of HoN you'll be death-gripping your mouse so that you don't use your hands to yank your hair out, in LoL, you'll just chill.

Like seriously, I play DotA/HoN/LoL so I don't get consumed in games like MMORPGs, but jesus christ, HoN almost gives me ulcers it's so stressful...

Pre-game is a lot easier too, matchmaking in LoL works great, wish it were like that in HoN.

Typhy
07-24-2010, 02:56 PM
In LoL, towers 2 shot you beginning game.

Brush allows for an effective tri-lane strat somewhere for a double kill in the first bit of the game, but is countered by a summoner spell called clairvoyance, which reveals an area of the map for 6 or 10 seconds.

Game is balanced much differently. Their thunderbringer, karthus, does a crapload of damage on his ult with the right gear. In practice games, i was almost one shotting bots. But, for this insane damage, their is no reveal like Tbringers.

They use tank as a hero typing. There's a few heroes who can taunt. They also don't really have an initiator like ours, they have Fiddlesticks, blinks to an area and does a ton of aoe damage, but hes insanely squishy. They rely on tanks running in with their 5k health and stackable magic resist and armor to come out on top.

They have talent trees and a rune system, meaning a level 30 has an advantage over a level 1, but it doesn't mean you can be outplayed. I was level 3 in that game, and schooled a level 26 mid because i could harrass out of the lane and last hit almost every one.

All in all, it's balanced around tank/mage/rogue style of play at level 30 with correctly set up runes and masteries.

Edit:
Last hitting is also somewhat harder in LoL than in DotA or HoN, so people use spells from Lv1 to farm creeps.

Don't forget, some champs like veigar and annie have spells that boost something when you last hit with that spell. Veigar gains one ability power if he last hits something with his baleful strike, and Annie's ability doesn't cost mana if she last hits with it. Much more importance on last hitting, and even some heroes, such as Twisted Fate with his passive and Ashe with her hawkshot boost the gold you gain from last hitting.

Oh, and, every champ has 5 spells, instead of 4. 3 normal abilities, a passive, and an ult. Passive is on all the time, of course.

Ninaran
07-24-2010, 02:56 PM
It's okay, nothing more, nothing less.

Kevinn
07-24-2010, 03:00 PM
LoL doesnt seem to know the meaning of balancing, if you play with the free weekly heroes against a team of people who bought the rigged ones you lost even if you are more skilled than them, unless some of their heroes are on the free weekly list =P

No gold on death is a joke, makes dieing just "oh no i have to wait 20 seconds"

Since there is no gold on death, i would expect a long respawn, but its only 1 minute at max level...

The runes and masteries are gay and imbalance the game, summoner spells are unnecessary but interesting.

I think ive played around 25 games now, and lost 5 of them because they had a higher level team with better heroes, even my first game wasnt against noobs, i played with 2 lvl 30s and 2 lvl 1s so we fought lvl 15s, and i kicked their asses, once we all got around 10 we fought 20-25s and they had all the gay ass heroes that ruin that game.

HoN is superior in every way, at least HoN has complete balance and winning and losing is 60% based on skill, 40% based on team choice.

OH and dont forget we get ALL the heroes at ALL times, dont have to play 60 matches and WIN to unlock 1 hero.

Even 30 dollars in LoL only gets you 8 heroes...if u buy the 450 and 1350s only.

Ryno2112
07-24-2010, 03:13 PM
LoL deserves a lot more credit than this forum will give it. I play both LoL and HoN for different reasons.

Some advantages LoL has:

The game is WAY mroe customizable and the heroes way more versatile. I know some people will look at that and so no, but if you really look at the games it's the truth. Many of the heroes can go physical damage, tank, or ap( which is pretty much a stat that ups your spells' damage.) Everyone plays every hero differently one way or another. Maybe you use different runes, or maybe you use different spells. Perhaps you start with different items or get different boots. where as in HoN certain items are non negotiable on certain heroes. Everyone gets a ring of sorc on Pebbles. you're crazy not to. If you aren't getting agi items on NH you're wasting your time. Chronos without elder parasite is stupid. The list really goes on with HoN. This is because it's a much more technical game and you need the best synergizing items.

LoL is free. You don't need to pay a cent to get all the heroes. You don't. Just play. It's so easy to unlock heroes too. Just win. Since HoN is harder and anyone who plays HoN is obviously better than someone who plays LoL, you should be winning every game anyways right? So you'll have the heroes in no time. Runes are gotten the same way that heroes are gotten, through currency earned ig by winning. Most people don't even bother with runes till level 20.

Matchmaking is ten times better in LoL. I will take the LoL matchmaking system over HoN's create a game system any day of the week. It's quick, easy, and you can still play with your friends. It's just so much more efficient. Anyone who's played LoL can't even argue this point.

The heroes have a bigger variety. There are heroes with mana, heroes with energy, heroes with rage, and heroes with nothing but their health. Can make it a lot of fun trying out the different heroes.


Disadvantages that LoL has.


HoN is a much more technical game. This means there can be a lot more strategizing in HoN. You can blink away from targeted stuns and so forth in HoN. LoL, you can't. This is something I've really had to get used to. Been killed a few times for forgetting I can't blink away from abilities that have me targeted. In LoL a lot of people tend to get the same item twice or three times because amazing item properties sometimes stack. the Lol version of Mock stacks with itself for example.

HoN has a much better art style than LoL. Some people like the cartoon style, some people don't. I put myself in the not liking the cartoon style. I like HoN's much more. Bad ass and realistic.

No stash, and can't drop items. This drove me up the walls when I first started playing LoL. you only have your inventory to work with. So it gets to the point where you gotta buy everything for some items all at once. which means saving up a few thousand sometimes.

No denying. the population of MOBA players as a whole (Across DotA, LoL, DEMIGODS, and HoN) is pretty split in half with this subject. I like Denying. I think it adds to the flavor of the game, obviously Guinsoo and Pendragon didn't. it's all opinion. Since you're reading this on the HoN forums, I'm gunna assume you're like me and like denying in your game. Thus, not having this feature is a disadvantage.




There are more pros and cons, but those are the four big ones for me for both sides. It's up to you to weigh them and make a decision. I personally play both. When I want technical game play where it matters what heroes are on my team and so forth, I play HoN. When I just want to que up and play a hero that I enjoy playing and not have to worry whether my team mates are as good as me or not, I play LoL. The two games are both GREAT games, and each fits the opposite niche. The two really shouldn't be compared as they are meant to be the opposite of each other, but they are.


TL;DR I play both. I think they're both great with pros and cons. Weigh the pros and cons of each, make a decision. They are opposites of each other because the MOBA population is generally around 50/50 with each feature.

Kevinn
07-24-2010, 03:17 PM
To the guy above me, i dislike LoL and like HoN, yet i play LoL more since that is what my friends play...but i do agree with 2 pros to LoL, the MM system owns and the hero concepts are great, its just some of them are imbalanced..-_-

It it also true that you HAVE to get certain items on certain heroes on HoN, but only a few..heroes like Pharoah and Valkyrie dont need the same items every game...i could list more but i gotta go to the store right now =p

Steaksauce
07-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Demi God is wrost. Lol isent the wrost game but its ok i played for like a week or 2 then i went back to HoN but the creeps look retarded and so do most heroes lol. Just don't play Demi God lol wasted 30$ on that game :(

PhasemyDH
07-24-2010, 03:39 PM
http://memegenerator.net/phreakisgay/ImageMacro/1783616/phreakisgay-LOL-is-gay-david-phreak-turley.jpg

Typhy
07-24-2010, 03:43 PM
It it also true that you HAVE to get certain items on certain heroes on HoN, but only a few..heroes like Pharoah and Valkyrie dont need the same items every game...i could list more but i gotta go to the store right now =p

Yeah, some heroes on HoN absolutely need certain items. In LoL however, almost every hero has two-three paths.

Lets take Shaco for an example. Shaco is a hero that can go invisible, much like scout, but only for 4 seconds, and when he attacks out of stealth, does a crit. His second skill sets up a trap, and when triggered, fears enemies and auto attacks for 5 seconds. His third has a ranged slow with a good amount of damage, scaling on both attack damage and ability power (and it has a poison dot passive), and his ulti spawns a second of himself which does 70% of his damage and takes 135%, and does a small range aoe damage when killed.

Now, you could stack attack damage, and make his invis crit do a metric shitton, plus make his ulti do a good amount of damage by himself, and even make your throw do a good amount of damage. Or, you could stack ability power, as his throw scales insanely well with ability power (in a bot game, two throws killed 3/5 of the bots), plus his trap scales with ability power, and his ultis aoe damage scales on a 1:1 ratio with it. Or, you could go and build like a hybrid, giving yourself the amazing damage of shiv with your medium-high attack damage and medium-high ability power, and your other skills will be pretty good too. Lastly, you could go a build I saw one game, which built him like a tank, where you stack sunfire capes (Mock of Brilliance, except they add like 450 health and some armor), and do 200 magic damage a second in a radius while your invisible, then crit him, slow him and stay by him.

Theres 4 correct, different ways of building a single champion. In HoN, you might see item variances, but you'll always see a good chronos or scout build runed axe, you'll always see magmus, behemoth and tempest go for portal key, you'll always see defiler and soul reaper build sac stone, just because they are the most effective way, and any other way is insanely worse then that.

LoL is great for its variance, but if you want a competitive game to show skill, HoN is where it's at.

Oaktree
07-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Towers do to much damage. Some hereos are to op. U cant creep denie. U cant cut down trees to juke them.

Really the jungles are really different HoN's (and DotA's) is just so much better in so many different ways.

Whakapapa
07-24-2010, 04:31 PM
why does it suck?


So little hero pool unless you pay money per hero.

You need to pay/play a lot to unlock more runes(generic spells you can put on any hero with a long cooldown - like faster runspeed and unitwalk, teleport, instant respawn, etc.) for your hero.

There is no creep denying/tower denying.

Gameplay feels so slow compared to HoN - not to forget the graphics suck pretty hard (again compared to HoN)

Some gameplay annoyance - like you can't leap up on cliffs, you just leap up right infront of them, caused me a few deaths when I tried it.

No penalty for dying except for a respawn timer (sux).

All heroes have homecoming stones on them (only teleports to base, stops if you get damaged)

All in all, I thought it took less skill than HoN and there were many things I didn't like about it.



Some good things;

I did like the system that allows you to boost up your spells damage with items (a lot of options compared to HoN's 1 Harkon Blade (or 2 if you take SotM into consideration).

Staying with items, I liked a lot of them. Lots of variety it seems. Probably there is some cookie cutter builds, but from the 4 games I played, I thought there were many interesting items.

AstralVoid
07-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Every hero can become a carry in that game. There is no metagame when any hero can farm a bit of gold and carry better than you, no matter what. That fact alone makes it more homogenized than World of Warcraft.

@Typhy: You can build any hero any way you want to in HoN. In order to fulfill specific roles, however, there are optimized (see: "I read a guide and don't want to think for myself") ways of building each hero for that role specifically. Runed Axe is a good item on the heroes you described simply because it provides bonuses they need as soon as possible in a relatively easy farm, in smaller pieces. Portal key, because it allows for greater movement and the element of surprise where no other item gives such an advantage. It's the lack of items that leads to people copying the same builds, rather than the lack of ways to effectively build them.

@OP: Yes, it sucks. I forced myself through two games of it, and immediately uninstalled afterward. Cartoony graphics, crap gameplay, less mechanical skill involved; its Farmville for the people who couldn't get good at HoN. Anyone can play it, and newbs think they're good at it. The community sucks because anything that doesn't meet the approval of the mods gets downvoted and removed, so dumb kids can say how much they love the game, but meaningful discussion is deleted. Their version of "report a player" can also work on this principle. You have a limited hero pool unless you play the game for an ungodly amount of time, or pay real money to unlock them all. You also can't modify anything at will; skins have to be bought, unlike HoN. They're not going to have support for custom games, because that would stop people from playing LoL completely.

Like the above said, the only good thing about it is the items. Having little things, like items that directly increase spell damage (not via Harkons) was a useful feature that couldn't be easily applied in DotA due to the engine, while HoN has unlimited potential to be able to. Unfortunately, I don't see many items like this coming out any time soon, due to how unbalancing it could be on some heroes (imagine Soulstealer with a simple +50 to magic damage; it would be a huge boost to his nuke, and possibly his ultimate)

Dgenerate`
07-24-2010, 04:39 PM
all ive seen of league of legends is gemplay footage on youtube and IT LOOKS RETARDED. the minions look gay and they light up red every time they take damage (WHICH JUST LOOKS SUPER ANNOYING) i dont know if yo can turn that off but it just annoyed me so much i never got to downloading it and playing


so my question is, ive heard league of legends sucks balls....

why does it suck?

or whats good about it?

what did you like to dislike about league of legends? should i "try" it??

still too lazy. rather play hon

I'm afraid about how this guys deals with real life situations.

"I heard the new bill to tax air was good. I mean I haven't read the bill, but I've heard it will create jobs and get some bums off the street because they cannot afford air anymore. I dont know, I'm too lazy/illiterate to read the bill so I am just going to support it because EVERYONE else is."

Just like the people who "likes" Apple products.

AstralVoid
07-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Just like the people who "likes" Apple products.

Or they complain about features that are missing/were taken away but continue to buy every single release despite them.

I was going to liken the censorship of the LoL forums to that of the Apple ones when major shitstorms like the iPhone4's anntenae issues (which were deleted on their tech support forums). But it was too easy, and some people may not have gotten the reference.

Whakapapa
07-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see many items like this coming out any time soon, due to how unbalancing it could be on some heroes (imagine Soulstealer with a simple +50 to magic damage; it would be a huge boost to his nuke, and possibly his ultimate)

Yeah, you can't directly transfer that item system over, but you could expand the HoN version of it by adding more items that reduce magic armor and do other interesting things (also more items that boost magic armor maybe)

I definately think there is a lack of more items in HoN, but I guess its all a question of balancing development time..

Ryno2112
07-24-2010, 08:06 PM
You don't have to pay money for heroes


YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MONEY FOR HEROES


YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MONEY FOR HEROES



I'm tired of seeing "you have to pay money for individual heroes" as a con against LoL. You don't. It's just pure ignorance/misinformation.

Will money make the unlocking process faster? Yes, is it required? lolno. The pool of heroes you have to choose from CHANGES EVERY WEEK as well.

AstralVoid
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
You don't have to pay money for heroes


YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MONEY FOR HEROES


YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY MONEY FOR HEROES



I'm tired of seeing "you have to pay money for individual heroes" as a con against LoL. You don't. It's just pure ignorance/misinformation.

Will money make the unlocking process faster? Yes, is it required? lolno. The pool of heroes you have to choose from CHANGES EVERY WEEK as well.

Either pay money or play a retarded game for a retarded amount of time.

I don't know which one is more painful.

nickknife
07-24-2010, 08:49 PM
its ok, playing both, hon and lol

but still hon >>> lol > dota

AmandaB
07-24-2010, 09:07 PM
LoL is honestly terrible. For every reason that has already been stated. Just an overall terrible game.

The one shocking thing to me was just how terrible the graphics really are. Im not usually one to ***** about graphics because I care more about the gameplay...however when the gameplay and the graphics suck that bad its just unbelievable to me.

How can you have "Blizzard" and "Dota" employees working on LoL and have it so much worse than HoN.

lucariobitch
07-24-2010, 09:10 PM
LoLs graphics are worse than DotA's imo.

Wraiven
07-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I play LoL whenever I get tired of the hardcore-ness of HoN. It is like easy easy mode HoN. And you can carry with literally any champion in LoL because the spells scale with a stat called Ability Power. You need to play an absurd amount of time to get the expensive champions, and to fill your runebook takes a very long time too. You can buy IP boosts with real money to speed it up, but for the prices you could just buy HoN.

facedown
07-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I do not understand how a tournamnet could be run with LOL as you can buy an advantage. Makes no sense, someone please explain what they do to make a tiurnamnet fair.

In any case I tried to like LOL, I do like certian aspects of it but for the most part it gives me the impression it was made for 8 to 14 year olds. There is less rage in game but that is because of no stats and no in game VOIP mostly. They do have good MM system but I got sick of the game after about 10 hours of play to the point that I will never play it again.

In my cafe we have about a 4 to 1 ratio of HoN to LoL players.

Fiat
07-24-2010, 09:30 PM
LoL is still fun and a nice breath of fresh air. But at the end of the day you grow a beard and play HoN.

lucariobitch
07-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Why is the LoL thread the longest thread on General Forums 1st page atm?

Sauron`
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
If you are used to HoN and it's competitveness u WILL hate it

Barill
07-24-2010, 10:10 PM
i played it for 5 minutes and couldnt take anymore of the cartoon graphics,exagerated colors,and ragnarok/grand chase like heroes,everything in that game is like,really gay,you dont play it after playing hon or even old war 3 dota

it has the same graphics, lol

kids... Hon has "cartoon graphics" just like LoL lol

Barill
07-24-2010, 10:15 PM
LoL is free, and the camera isn't so close in,
and there aren't any trolls there
and they aren't just kids... most of the friends i have made there have been 18+

LadyGaga
07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
LoL is free, and the camera isn't so close in,
and there aren't any trolls there
and they aren't just kids... most of the friends i have made there have been 18+
Just curious, why exactly are you so estatic about 18+ year old friends;)

facedown
07-24-2010, 10:25 PM
it has the same graphics, lol

kids... Hon has "cartoon graphics" just like LoL lol

I suspect your computer is badly broken. The graphic styles are not even close and LoL does have graphics that look like they came from a kids cartoon show.

LadyGaga
07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I suspect your computer is badly broken. The graphic styles are not even close and LoL does have graphics that look like they came from a kids cartoon show.
Why exactly are we debating the merit of two games and using graphics as a criteria? Any true gamer would know this is not an acceptable practice...

E_Honda`
07-24-2010, 11:22 PM
I dislike LoL's summoner system. I don't like the outside influence on the game based on players' grinding of the game or money spent.

I dislike the fact that I have to play with a limited selection of things starting out constantly to get all the content.

It also feels like a much simpler game. Staying in lane and pushing and farming seems to be much more important than the risk reward style of ganking. I dislike this style of play.

I also don't like the fact that you don't lose money when you die. Going back to the ganking style of play I prefer, this seems to make it less viable.

All that said it is still a fun game. I do play it from time to time because I have some friends that do. However it isn't really my cup of tea.

Slut
07-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Why exactly are we debating the merit of two games and using graphics as a criteria? Any true gamer would know this is not an acceptable practice...
I'm not one to care about graphics if the gameplay is good but damn LoL graphics really killed it for me, can't even get into a game due to the graphics giving me a nausea feeling

Comfortabull
07-25-2010, 12:21 AM
The one thing I love about LoL is that caster heroes scale into late game with their items, the one thing IMO that HoN could stand to have.

Ryno2112
07-25-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm not one to care about graphics if the gameplay is good but damn LoL graphics really killed it for me, can't even get into a game due to the graphics giving me a nausea feeling

That's a bit of a melodramatic statement. I don't understand how you are able to play any Mario games or Zelda games if Cartoon graphics make you nauseous.

jorge69696
07-25-2010, 04:18 AM
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5164/fuuuc.jpg

Nairda_au
11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
^
Go die in a bin, with your logic taking 2 games with a wide variety of differences, gameplay and pace then simply taking a factor of that different game which wouldn't work in standard HoN means it's a crap game. (Why EM is bad in HoN doesnt neccessarily mean that differences in the gold system to LoL makes LoL bad.)

KingBane
11-11-2010, 12:22 PM
it really depends. league of legends is much more casual. you can dork around and still kick everyone's ass. the only thing that matters is racing to the 1 "uber" item that your hero is best with. once you get it game's over, assuming you've gotten it before the other team. there are no comebacks in lol, it never happens unless someone from the other team d/c's. why this is i'm not entirely sure maybe the ae stuns in lol aren't very good/dont last very long. the dps output in lol isn't very high, hero's dont die as quickly unless someone has one of the uber items. either way mistakes like being caught out of position doesn't really matter until someone picks up an uber item. even then you can walk around get caught out of position kill 1 of your gankers and get away because the dps they push out is peanuts compared to you with one of the uber items.

KingBane
11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
The one thing I love about LoL is that caster heroes scale into late game with their items, the one thing IMO that HoN could stand to have.

if hon had that, then it'd be like lol where the game progression is linear, as opposed to what it currently is where casters change roles a bit later on. people like witch slayer/pyro are no longer gankers, but support late game, or if you have port key initiators. in lol the progression of casters makes them basically the same as any other hero in lol in terms of progression. yes that's advantageous for a casual game, but not a competitive one. it makes everything more homogeneous and less variated.

Prince_Ali
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
funny fact , u own people like 50-10 , and boom they come back. which is absolutely stupid considering how u roflstomped them...

Tamuz
11-11-2010, 12:53 PM
fukin necro

Razakel
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Played 1 game, got 10-0 and it was still boring, uninstalled.

Randomguy360
11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
LoL just makes you appreciate DotA and WC3 all the more.

I love how every hero has an item that gives them their main stats and a gold per minute boost, you just buy 5 of them and then sit in well for 30 mins and you have every item your hero needs.

It's like if EM in DotA was the normal mode, and then there was another Easy Mode easier than the easy normal mode.

_blomman
11-11-2010, 02:17 PM
YOU ASK THIS ON A HoN FORUM?

Randomguy360
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM
^
Go die in a bin, with your logic taking 2 games with a wide variety of differences, gameplay and pace then simply taking a factor of that different game which wouldn't work in standard HoN means it's a crap game. (Why EM is bad in HoN doesnt neccessarily mean that differences in the gold system to LoL makes LoL bad.)

Blad3Drag0n



get out of HoN.

Darkstrand
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Depends on what you want, LoL is a lot more casual friendly and if you've played DotA, it is basically DotA on Easy Mode 24/7 with new items and heroes. There is a lot less of a skill factor in LoL, where no matter how good you are, you will be unable to carry a team full of bad players, you rely on them in 100% of the games.

In short, basically LoL removes all of the things that made DotA rewarding to get good at and makes it easy for anyone to own on their first try.

The developers went with the "super easy, sugar rush of fun" type of gameplay that will, over time feel lacking in depth.

PROc
11-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Play it and make up your own mind about it.

robbiek1
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
HoN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LoL
Get it?

~Robbie

CodexBeast
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I like LoL. This is my scale:

1. Heroes of Newerth
2. DotA (Would be #1, but the engine is soo bad, I'll prolly play DotA 2)
3. League of Legends

League of Legends (From hereon 'LoL') is actually a pretty fun game. Let us review every section of it:

CHAMPIONS
Just hearing the word 'Champions' makes this game sound a tad childish. Now, a majority of these characters are fun to play though. I like 'Ryze', 'Emuu', and this one named 'Heimerdinger', Now, if you took a lineup of 5 champions, there is a good chance that 3 or 4 out of the 5 are going to be OP, because LoL is still 'in development' in my eyes. A majority of the heroes have a stun, or a high damage nuke, which is useful but lacks originality. I would give the champions part of the game a 7/10.

MAP
I hate the maps. There are multiple maps to choose from, although you are only given a choice of 2 at one point. You can either take a 5v5 map or a 3v3 map. I don't like the maps, for one reason, and one reason only. There are these 'tall grasses' that make any heroes in them invisible. I do, on the other hand, think it is balanced because each side of the map has its own 'Kongor'.
I would give the map part a 5/10.

THE COMMUNITY
****. Absolute ****. Like, imagine the HoN community, but rather than trolling, they just don't ever talk. And if they do, 98% of them are: Under 10, Foreign, Mentally Challenged. Although, true, the creators have no way to filter this, it's still a big part of the game. I give it a 2/10. Rest of review on next one,

E_Honda`
11-11-2010, 03:43 PM
^
Go die in a bin, with your logic taking 2 games with a wide variety of differences, gameplay and pace then simply taking a factor of that different game which wouldn't work in standard HoN means it's a crap game. (Why EM is bad in HoN doesnt neccessarily mean that differences in the gold system to LoL makes LoL bad.)

Nice necro man

CodexBeast
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
(cont.)

GAMEPLAY
The actual gameplay of this game, is relatively fun. Like, I actually like this game. You can buy these 'runes' from the shop that can you give you permanent bonus armor, and other assorted objects. They also have this thing where every week, new champions are able to be played. The main thing I don't like, is that you don't start with all the champions. I give this part of the game a 8/10.

PRICE
Initially, this game is free. But, if you ever wanna have any REAL fun with this game, you either have to A) Win every round so you get 'IP', which you can use to buy champions, or B) Pay. You can buy 'RP' and purchase Champions, Skins, Runes. I'd give the price a 4/10.

FINAL REVIEW (Otherwise known as the tl;dr)
I'd say that this game could be good, has the potential to be good, but is lacking. I wouldn't necessarily count it though, as it is actually pretty fun. I would say that you SHOULD download it, but you should NOT
throw your money at it for all the little perks. I give this game a definite 6/10

ScreenShotx
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Dosent LoL have a epic thing called Team Match Making?

CodexBeast
11-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Dosent LoL have a epic thing called Team Match Making?
Yes, you get to play with your friends. That is, if you can actually make friends with that shitty_ community

Schobbo
11-11-2010, 03:46 PM
imagine HoN being unbalanced and with shitty graphics and you got LoL

ScreenShotx
11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, you get to play with your friends. That is, if you can actually make friends with that shitty_ community

I can assure u that HoN got a way shittier community then LoL

Graphic wise,and some stuff = HoN is better

Features and etc wise.. = LoL is better.

Randomguy360
11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I can assure u that HoN got a way shittier community then LoL

Graphic wise,and some stuff = HoN is better

Features and etc wise.. = LoL is better.


No, not really...

I've met far more desirable people in HoN than in LoL.
Generally, the LoL player base is incredibly stupid.


LoL is dumbed down, you can kill towers in the first minute when using the right characters, simply because of their incredibly bad AI. (that's a lie, they don't have any AI other than ATTACK CREPZ!)

SkyPikachu
11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
i just started playing HoN after playing LoL & DotA.


LoL average match-making time is 40 seconds.


HoN match-making time so far has been 15+ minutes each time. That is insane. At first I thought the HoN client was crashing so I would keep rebooting the program, then after researching forums I realized that this excessively long wait was "normal" in HoN. Most times I give up and join a lame Public game because I don't feel like waiting 15+ minutes. What am I supposed to do? Cook dinner at the computer? And looking at the forums, it looks like the match-making system has been very poor for over a year.


It's pretty ridiculous that there are HoN fan-pages that tell you that you have to join/quit the matchmaking repeatedly to increase your chance of being able to start a game. What the hell

Tamuz
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
why is this thread alive , stop bumping it

AtheistGod
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
LoL strategy is spam faster. They thought by giving everyone 3 second cooldown spells and infinite mana the game would be more fun. It just ends up meaning a wasted spell doesn't matter and the faster spammer wins. The program itself is ****. The interface and the client are horrible. The game has far more built in delay than WC3. They claim they don't sell power and yet no one will have the best stuff without paying for it, because making it possible to be just as strong as the person who paid $200 will only take you something like 1000 games. Dominance doesn't matter. If you have a bad hero and completely shut out some carry for 35 minutes they still get their 2 free items by 40 minutes and win anyways.

Tower AI is literally, attack creeps/ignore heros.

What features does LoL have that make it better? HoN has more features. The only feature of LoL I can remember than HoN doesn't have a better version of is ads.

LoL's definition of a hero with all skillshots has a blink that deals damage to an enemy in 1000 range, an ult that hits all units in a line with a radius of about 350-400 and two projectiles with 3 second cooldowns that the only difference between them is one deals an autoattack and the other scales with your spell damage.

The game's mantra is that "NEW" is most important. Quality takes a backseat.

`Oct`agon
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Dosent LoL have a epic thing called Team Match Making?
It's pretty bad, I frequently get matched up with people who I curb stomp or I get curb stomped.

RUSty_
11-19-2010, 01:06 AM
I'd at-least try it its definitely a fun game.

Token
11-19-2010, 04:40 AM
I'd at-least try it its definitely a fun game.

your just handing me fuel to the fire that is trolling you. =)

so LoL's a fun game eh?

whos your fav champion. i bet your real good at juking in the long grass

BooB
11-19-2010, 04:42 AM
Its fun if you want to stomp a few broke 13 year olds who can't afford to pay for games.
Pretty much go 30/5 every game.

BooB
11-19-2010, 04:43 AM
why is this thread alive , stop bumping it

I-I-Irony

GucciGod
11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
No. It doesn't suck.

It's a more laid back "DotA" experience. It is good fun and relaxing. It's also different, less focused on laning phase and more focused on pushing and teamfights.

Only fanboys will outright say it sucks. There's obviously a reason it's popular beyond being free (plenty of free to play games fail hard).

RUSty_
11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
your just handing me fuel to the fire that is trolling you. =)

so LoL's a fun game eh?

whos your fav champion. i bet your real good at juking in the long grass
Honestly I played it before for about 4 weeks. It was fun but after all that "new hero/items" vibe wore off it got boring. blitzcrank was my favourite champion when the rotation finally came to him, i spent my ip on other ones though but nothing was as fun as blitzcrank with the short cd hooking like devo.
Also it was during the phase when the next patch was taking alot longer than usual (from weekly to monthly) and they just ported sb which did not interest me for a second.
Not sure what fuel you're asking for but free entertainment is free, and I guess you're someone who badmouths LoL without even playing it once because you're too pro?

masterprtzl
11-19-2010, 05:09 AM
I'm not gonna lie. I like LoL. This is my scale:

1. Heroes of Newerth
2. DotA (Would be #1, but the engine is soo bad, I'll prolly play DotA 2)
3. League of Legends

League of Legends (From hereon 'LoL') is actually a pretty fun game. Let us review every section of it:

CHAMPIONS
Just hearing the word 'Champions' makes this game sound a tad childish. Now, a majority of these characters are fun to play though. I like 'Ryze', 'Emuu', and this one named 'Heimerdinger', Now, if you took a lineup of 5 champions, there is a good chance that 3 or 4 out of the 5 are going to be OP, because LoL is still 'in development' in my eyes. A majority of the heroes have a stun, or a high damage nuke, which is useful but lacks originality. I would give the champions part of the game a 7/10.

MAP
I hate the maps. There are multiple maps to choose from, although you are only given a choice of 2 at one point. You can either take a 5v5 map or a 3v3 map. I don't like the maps, for one reason, and one reason only. There are these 'tall grasses' that make any heroes in them invisible. I do, on the other hand, think it is balanced because each side of the map has its own 'Kongor'.
I would give the map part a 5/10.

THE COMMUNITY
****. Absolute ****. Like, imagine the HoN community, but rather than trolling, they just don't ever talk. And if they do, 98% of them are: Under 10, Foreign, Mentally Challenged. Although, true, the creators have no way to filter this, it's still a big part of the game. I give it a 2/10. Rest of review on next one,


very well put, except 7/10 for bad hero designs :X idk, like you said, almost all of them have a stun and/or a nuke.

I played like 5 games and had fun in exactly 0 of them.

Token
11-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Honestly I played it before for about 4 weeks. It was fun but after all that "new hero/items" vibe wore off it got boring. blitzcrank was my favourite champion when the rotation finally came to him, i spent my ip on other ones though but nothing was as fun as blitzcrank with the short cd hooking like devo.
Also it was during the phase when the next patch was taking alot longer than usual (from weekly to monthly) and they just ported sb which did not interest me for a second.
Not sure what fuel you're asking for but free entertainment is free, and I guess you're someone who badmouths LoL without even playing it once because you're too pro?

i have played it. played one game as rogue wizard or something. went 28-0

decided then and there it was retardedly bad

Wienerslayer
11-19-2010, 05:14 AM
LoL isn't that bad, just don't expect it to be like HoN.
Some champion designs are pretty cool but every hero basically scales so everyone runs around being a carry. Some champions are also only just there to pubstomp hard while they would suck if you face ppl with a brain.
You also get a ****ton of gold and don't lose any for dying. Even if you suck ****ing hard you will get atleast your core items + max lvl (lvl 18).
The game is also a bit slower.

Fun to place once in a while on the side, not fun to main.

Tamachan
11-19-2010, 05:15 AM
lol is worth a play. I like it even though i used to flame it like these nubs.

NoskillzNils
11-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Its okay for a free game

i hate the fact that every hero can carry.

i bought(with IP of course) the hero "Judicator" hoping that it was a Support hero.... the hero tip said something like this. "Buying DPS items on Judicator might give you an advantage"

WTF i wanted to play support.

:/

thugwaffle
11-19-2010, 05:47 AM
It's casual.

Snowball items are fun, innate passives are fun, summoner spells and runes are not.

I play more LoL than HoN now not because it is a better game, but because it's a fun game to play with friends and troll people all day every day.

Jinx_S
11-19-2010, 05:58 AM
best description for taking up lol:
if you feel like playing against psr800 mutes for the first few games in a game that's more forgiving and less things to think about.
It's like you taking a stat reset, only for it to start from that low psr.

RUSty_
11-19-2010, 06:04 AM
i have played it. played one game as rogue wizard or something. went 28-0

decided then and there it was retardedly bad
nice one bro! Atleast you gave it a try that's what matters.

Ryuukun
11-19-2010, 06:07 AM
It doesn't suck and arguments like "cartoony graphics" or "noob community" are plainly wrong.
HoN is pretty cartoony as well and we also got a bunch of player who won't learn from mistakes.
The real reason why we HoN players won't play it is actually the balance (runes, masteries, map etc), the missing hero roles and above anything, the missing depth.

Theburned
11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
all ive seen of league of legends is gemplay footage on youtube and IT LOOKS RETARDED. the minions look gay and they light up red every time they take damage (WHICH JUST LOOKS SUPER ANNOYING) i dont know if yo can turn that off but it just annoyed me so much i never got to downloading it and playing


so my question is, ive heard league of legends sucks balls....

why does it suck?
bad graphics and low depth in gameplay... ganking is less needed denying farm is pretty much impossible also towers hit like hell so boring in the early game.
also the rpg feeling is wrong in this kinda game.. you don't need glyphs also the superiority by a lvl 30 with a full rune page vs a lvl 1 (same goes for a recently lvl 30 too with no runes.) with nothing, the lvl 30 don't need skills to win. in a 1v1 in HoN you need SKILLS to beat your opponent not just a lot of play time.
don't like the shop, probably because I don't know where stuff is because I don't have the time to check it out.. also it's not so good numbers so I haven't been able to do any theory crafting yet. also dps is also based on different heroes with different damage and dps gains from AP.
they won't have moreaxus :D (cheap one)
they have the same amount of retards, but you can't pick out the completly retard people
also no leaving whatsoever..... if you leave your team will most likely lose unless you are higher summoner lvl and hero lvl also more skill... as you gain nothing from a hero leaving ... unless their passive global aura if they have one... 2 skills that are available to all heroes... if you can heal (yeah I know this is a bad one to get)... what's the point of a healer (especially in the lane)... this is pretty much what I know, and that I don't like.

or whats good about it?

new heroes pretty much all the time
some heroes got some nice niche passive skills (gained when the game starts)

I will not bother to fill in this as it is just a waste of time to write some of the things I wrote earlier just with other words, as a lot of them have good points to it.

what did you like to dislike about league of legends? should i "try" it??

there is no harm in trying it...maybe you think it is a fun game...

still too lazy. rather play hon
agreed, but if your friends play LoL I would try to balance it...


poke... damn had to write something here too

Bobble
11-19-2010, 07:24 AM
LoL is trying to fix up the balance, but a game like that, it's not gonna happen. They are churning out heroes like crazy over there, about a rate of 2-3 weeks. They want to fill in some hero roles to try and balance it out.

Naxemal
11-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I've played it for 2 weeks and was pretty fun tbh (you know, new stuff syndrome). But after that I returned to HoN and never looked back. LoL doesn't have deny, you can turn invis in tall grass, they have talent trees and you can improve magic dmg. All that mixed together equals totally unbalanced game and everyone seems to play solo, no tactics or teamwork that HoN has.

Agamenon
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Fear the terrible minion from League of Legends!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S2dqej5Fh8k/TLd4LZomw-I/AAAAAAAAABM/BQTDAqSd8Fo/s1600/Orko.jpg

Afzichtelijk
11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Man if you are going to bother saying anything but LoL sucks can you at least tell the truth?

Heroes like Pyromancer, Witch Slayer and Torturer have what are basically carbon copies of each other's skills.


Heroes like Pyromancer, Witch Slayer and Torturer have what are basically carbon copies of each other's skills.


Heroes like Pyromancer, Witch Slayer and Torturer have what are basically carbon copies of each other's skills.


WAT
did u ever play before?

TestieSlave
11-19-2010, 10:29 AM
is just stupid ask for LoL on a HoN forum..

go ask for Hon On LoL forums and ull get the same trash talk about hon..

Is like go to irak and ask, hey what do u think about bush?

Tyion
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I played LoL for like 6months , and just swapped to HoN and here it is:

LoL is FAR more Aggresive , u dont need to denie , u have insane starting manaregen and u dont loose any gold if u die.
These points have really negative effects , cuz it makes the game so freaking easy.


Then there is the Item system , which is even more sucky , u get the same items on EVERY Range DPS (Melee DPS and Mages suck in this game cuz of this shiat called "summoner spells").

As some of the Above said , there are no Character roles , there are tanks that can carry , carrys that support and supports who can carry a game so hard that it isnt even fun 2 play (Sona anyone?)

To sum it up they have the by far gayest Matchmaking ever , you get a team which will mostlikely run 0-20 and leave then cuz they just loose as much rating as if they would end the game . Tada no matter how good youve done , its over.


If u want to play an super easy mode of HoN ( Dota) then go play LoL , u can escape ganks without probs , if u get hooked by the wannabe devourer there u can easily get out with just 50% of your health lost etc.

HoN and DotA are far more Balanced and competitive

This comes from one of the top 100 LoL players (1870 elo) which is actually high , but still , im not that good in HoN , im pretty much an above average noob.
If a good HoN player goes playin LoL , 3 days and he is in the top 10.

Token
11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
nice one bro! Atleast you gave it a try that's what matters.

it was dumb. i had a massive nuke, a ridiculously long disable and a plague ult as normal skills, then my ultimate made them AoE?

and you had to either pay, or play alot to unlock the better heros; which puts experienced players with players who like to waste money

Naxemal
11-20-2010, 05:31 PM
If a good HoN player goes playin LoL , 3 days and he is in the top 10.

"Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" comes to mind.

RobinEA
11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
dumbest thing you ever did was going onto a hon forum asking about lol. on this forum you will allways get favourism anyways. People here play hon and not lol for a reason. its the same as going on a lol forum asking about hon. But in general hon is more competetive and lol is more casual. lol has some features that hon dosnt have, and they can be pretty fun but it makes the game unbalanced.

i wont pretend like i dont hate lol, because i really do. i think its bad as shitt. But still i guess its up to each person to decide for his own. But really though it sucks.

RobinEA
11-20-2010, 07:46 PM
"Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" comes to mind.

i get your point, but i kinda gree with him. the top players in hon could easily become the top in lol to. Its the same genre and hon is a harder game so i understand his point aswell. Its the same thing as starcraft and warcraft beeing different games but the same genre. beeing good in warcraft = good multitasking, micro etc = good in starcraft.

Ashur
11-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Try it just keep this in mind:



a) Heroes are NOT balanced, not nearly and probably never will, they are fun, can't argue with that, but balanced...never

b) The concept of teamwork in public or even mid rated games is foreign so prepare for a looooooot of frustration (blame the free game part)

c) It's annoying as hell having to grind 20-30 games to buy a hero only to have it nerfed the next patch or just changed in an odd way...or even better, finding out he's actually shite (hello evelyn)

Those are probably petty complaints but they made me quit in the end, the combination of those 3 makes for a frustrating experience,
HOWEVER still give it a try, I had a blast playing it for a month till I got good enough to realize the flaws in the design.

SilverSurfer
11-20-2010, 08:51 PM
in HoN, if you get caught... youre dead. in LoL, depending on the synergy of the gank, you can get away with a chunk of life left, especially in the early game. Early game in LoL is meant for last hitting, zoning/denying last hits (read: harass enough so they cant even get close to the minions), and not getting killed.

if you get caught mid-late game in LoL, i feel it's really similar to HoN.... you got stuns/slows/dots/dps/etc. youre dead.

the problem with starting to play LoL is that pro players like to smurf and start level 1 accounts to troll true noobs. you really have to be the max level (level 30) to start playing ranked games and start getting into the team game you see in HoN: true tanks, true carries, and true support roles. this is where you get smarter players and it's all about farming/initiating/positioning/etc

for the guy mentioning items sucking in LoL or basically buying the same items everytime, that's entirely false. Just like HoN.... where you buy shrunken head for certain reasons or mock of brillance on certain heroes, etc, LoL has the same system. You have an overfed tanky dps? get madreds bloodrazer on your carry dps: takes a percentage of the targets health. You have a heavy stun-lock team or pesky initiator? buy a banshee's veil: blocks a spells (usually the initial stun).... so if youre on the other team, you bust the veil with a random spell and then proceed to stun/initiate for your team.

HoN has MUCH better graphics, in the sense that it looks badass... whereas LoL is easier for noobs to tell what's going on. HoN is also faster paced (because LoL's early game is truly about farming and not much else) .. but once you get into mid-late game... the team fights go down like in HoN. Also, HoN does have more useable items in the shop.

Bobble
11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
supports who can carry a game so hard that it isnt even fun 2 play (Sona anyone?)

Sona got nerfed hard, she can't even play with all 3 auras on her anymore, which brings up a point. Riot listens to the LoL community. It sounds good, but the fact that LoL community are childish idiots kind of ruins it. If you see a thread started by someone who got roflstomped by a hero, he'll complain, and everyone else who doesn't know how to counter that hero comes in and complains as well, and soon enough the nerfbat comes floating along. And thats not even considering the fact that as soon as a hero is released, everyone is waiting for the next one. I've been playing Lol for a month, and already 3 new heroes have been released. It's impossible to balance a game when you keep sticking in new heroes all of the time.

SharpyS
11-20-2010, 09:07 PM
LoL does a lot of things wrong (tall grass, experience, talent trees etc.) but the one truly unforgivable thing that makes it sh*t is how boring and uninspired character abilities are. Plus activateable items may as well not exist the ones in LoL are so few and boring, no fun toys to buy like tabcom or p key.

If you hate every interesting ability in HoN (think of things like tdl's ult, behe's fissure, pharoah's mummies or bubble's ult) and you hate fun items then yeah you might like LoL. Every character there is so boring and cookie cutter, there's no characters like say panda or pharoah who have a whole bunch of unique easy to learn, hard to master abilities.

Every LoL tank has either a CC or a damage reducer for his ult, every support has a heal or similar protective spell, and every nuker has a big AoE nuke of some kind. There's nobody like say magmus, who can initiate and do massive damage, or nypmh, who's similar to a lot of LoL supports but has an interesting versatile teleport for her ult rather than a big fat heal button

The short version is it's dumbed down HoN (well, DoTA) with the most interesting stuff stripped out

Anthropos
11-21-2010, 04:51 PM
For the .01% of you who might be reading the thread because you are actually interested in the question "Does LoL suck", here is my answer.

It's quite a different game, although the base mechanics and map are similar.

The main advantage is that there are a large number of different characters to play, they seem to release a new one more than once a month.

So if you like new content, it can be an interesting break from HoN.

Kowz
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
What in the name of all that is stealthy, :scou:, is this terrible thread doing on the first page of OT? What am I doing bumping it?!

Rofltrellen
12-27-2010, 06:00 AM
I have played DotA before LoL or HoN came out, but when they did, I tended to play LoL alot more, since it was free and all.

The thing is that as I've said to LoL players, same applies to you all.
They are VERY diffrent games, they have done diffrent things to make things interesting.

In LoL:

- All players are equal, that means, there is no real hardcarry, the whole team is dependent to to the killing, unless you have like 4 heals :P

- Keep the margins short, you don't fall too much behind from being totally a$$raped, you can level yourself up faster if you are falling behind, and you don't end up with 1 gold left, if dominated a 100 times

- Balance is bad? Things that are considered when balancing in LoL is not the same as in HoN, for instance, in LoL, the main harass method is abilites, even melee's can harass at some point, you DON'T deal the "bulk" of the damage with ranged autoattacks, like I found is really really diffrent from HoN.
------------------------------------------------------
In HoN,

- Distinct(er) roles, I am carry, LET ME FARM!!!! There is nothing that is more diffrent than the carry role between the games, in HoN, the carry must get their free farm, they must rack the kills, the whole team is dependent for this particular player to do well, it's their queen in chess.

- Timespan? This game has thrown me away at some things that I consider shouldn't be possible, this game's matches take regulary longer time, but is far more likely to get onesided, though one thing that diffrentiates HoN and LoL in this are, LoL basically encourages "Conceding" a.k.a. Surrender, as I when playing HoN have been baffled of how "stupid" players are that doesn't surrender when there are 35 kills behind the enemy team and we have only the base with some structures left.

- Mentality? Some people tend to disagree some people can't face it, HoN's community is way worse than LoL's, of course LoL have the regular whiners and QQ'ers, even though it is a free game, it isn't plagued with trolls, that shouldn't even be the chase in HoN, but some trolls tend to bring out the cash to get to the VIP spaces it seems.

Now don't say that I defend LoL (or HoN) I can only say that they have their minds set at diffrent goals, HoN is a better competitive game than LoL (so far), and LoL IS more ugly (why can't you basterds like toon-cell-shading? D= ) Though LoL is fighting and are already on their way to the competitive scene, and a graphics update is coming, so if you have HoN, get LoL since it's free, I promise, it's harder to do it the other way.

LoL and HoN are two very diffrent games, IMO they can't be compared with inches and nails, seems like an easy way out, but it's the truth.

Take it, try it, that's the great thing about free games.

EDIT: I don't want to make this post any longer than this (not exactly on the word though), so I know I haven't covered all the aspects, but it's basically alot of the biggest diffrentials I could come up with.

Random_Guy
12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok, this thread needs to end

LoL__________
> No Replays
> No Spectators
> No Pause
> No Remake
> Terrible Balance.
All this = NO competitive scene.

Terrible Balance_________
> Need runes to jungle on most characters.
> Most champions simply stack one item.
> One jungle is REQUIRED in higher level games or you insta lose.
> You generally only see about 11 different champions in the higher ELO ranges, the rest are garbage.
> Need to buy champions so you can get stuck with useless champions if you don't already have a lot of them.


I'm sure there's more im forgetting atm.

RainbowCat
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Played it for 3-4 games, felt slow, heroes move at snail speed, total lack of stuns, map is flat and bland, heroes / skills are hard to seperate