PDA

View Full Version : Mouse control - any tips/tricks?

Griddler
05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I find that my main barrier to improvement - and source of frustration - in this game is currently my ability to manage my mouse properly.

Let me give a specific example:

I dark blades and charging strike in on an enemy with dark lady. As long as he stands there I hit him just peachy. But then he turns to run.

I hit w for my taint-soul, and try to left click the hero as he moves. I miss. I click again and miss... now my screen is not centered and I need to scroll my mouse to get the target back on it... and meanwhile keep my hero moving, now I miss him again as he ducks into fog for a second...

and now here comes 2 of his teammates and I die.

If I land the taint soul when he starts retreating its a kill. Because of my god awful clicking I instead have a death.

I don't see any trick/solution to this other than practice. I wasn't sure if there was anything people do to alleviate this kind of problem though. I was thinking maybe they use the lock-camera-on-hero during the game to keep the camera moving on its own as they chase and setup the click.

Most of my failures like this come from trying to do too many things at once - chase, scroll, click, make sure follow continues through fog... or in teamfights where I just can't pick out the guy I really want to hit - or as I'm focusing on finding him I lose track of where my hero is and wind up in the middle of the AoE ****fest.

i.e. I try to get to that forsaken archer to interrupt ult asap with my entangle... only to realize that while I was focused on the archer, my char walked into a pebbles stun, chuck, and some other random **** and is now down to 20% hp just from random AoE crap - AND hes standing right in the middle of everything ><

For that I'm guessing phase boots are a big help since your hero will go straight line towards whatever it is you want - and not wind up taking retarded routes due to pathing///

twincannon
05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Aside from increasing your sensitivity and practicing, I can't really suggest much. I just recently increased my sensitivity a notch actually to get better at constantly moving my camera. Generally I would say if it takes you more than 3 inches to go from one side of the screen to the other, your sensitivity is too low. Unlike FPS games, in RTS games I am pretty sure most competitive players use very high sens so they can constantly flick back and forth between the units and the edge of the screen to maintain a good camera view. For example look at the Korean Starcraft pros, all very high sensitivity that I have seen.

One thing you could try but I have no idea how it would do (aside from the fact that I know a very decent player who uses this method), is use keys to move the camera. For example my friend uses WASD to move the camera and I think he bound his skills to 1-2-3-4 and items elsewhere. It's a pretty radical change but could work for you *shrug*

Kajakfaucon
05-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, that's all pretty much just an experience issue. Keep practicing and it'll just become muscle memory. No real tricks that I can think of, except to play targeting heroes frequently so you get plenty of practice.

On the tree thing.... that's just an awareness issue and again comes with practice. Just keep playing and try to stay aware of what is happening with your hero at all times.

GrymM
05-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Honestly, I would suggest you map camera movement to keystrokes.

Using your mouse to scroll the camera doesn't seem all that efficient to me, I play lots of twitch games likes CS, CS:S, Etc, as well as SC2, but I just didn't like scrolling the camera in HoN(Or DotA) with the mouse.

So, I remapped my keyboard as follows:

Q, W, R, T - Skills
E, S, D, F - Camera

I have a bunch of other customs, but those are the ones important to your plight.

This way, you can always have your cursor ready on the battlefield rather than along the edges of your screen, which results in shorter mouse movements to click a target, as well as being able to readjust your camera instantly in whatever direction is needed.

You also always have your pinky finger hovering over A for denies, Your index finger is .2 seconds away from 'C' if you lose track of your hero and you can also easily remap G, H and Y for additional customization.

YawningAngel
05-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Don't use your little finger for denies, you'll kill the poor thing.

GrizmoBlust
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I always have this problem too and I always get lose the courser; when I lose it, i know I have to back out and find it again before I can go back to the fight and finish the job. D:

l33t_rogue
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
hehe
my mouse have 5 additional buttons
even dont bothering with installing logitech setpoint, i just use 2 side buttons to bind most useful abilities
sidebutton1-taint soul->sidebutton2-charging strikes->q-dark blades->?-elder?

probably its possible bind all 5 for fast kombos like on ws - stun>hex>mana drain>ult>codex

Menzo
05-21-2010, 01:35 AM
So, I remapped my keyboard as follows:

Q, W, R, T - Skills
E, S, D, F - Camera

Yeah I did something similar too. Camera is on the typical WASD keys. First skill is F, second Q, third and forth E and R. Works out pretty well for me in terms of camera movement and not miss-clicking the wrong skill.

DoktrLucifr
05-21-2010, 01:58 AM
In SC, it's better to have lower mouse sensitivity, (at least imo, and a few gosu foreign players seem to recommend it, like Stylish, if IIRC) but either way, i like to have low mouse sens for accuracy, and high mouse/keyboard scroll rate. Precisely executing SK terran is impossible if you can't click on anything accurately.

My little brother, who has played a ton of DotA before I even tried HoN likes to use a combination of both. He thinks using the arrow keys, then knowing exactly when to switch back to the left side of keyboard is best (I think he never liked rebinding keys for specific heroes in DotA)

Well, each to his own.

apot
05-21-2010, 03:45 AM
yeah professional starcraft players all have somewhat low sensitivity
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roek7iHyCGc
from what i remember you want to move the mouse ~1.5 inches when you go from the left to the right side of the screen

there's no point in reacting quickly if you can't click properly

J3rk
05-21-2010, 04:08 AM
When u start chasing allways order a movement command into the desired direction so you have time to scroll.
If you scroll first and then rightclick ur target will pretty much result in fail.

Also if u really have troubles finding your cursor on screen, there is a feature ( in Windows atleast) that displays a big circle arround ur cursor when pressing a certain key. You can find it in the Mouse options of the controlpanel. If u really need this.

I guess you havent really played gamed which recquires a good overview and micromanagement before. All you need is practice.

twincannon
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
in general you need a good mix of being able to move across the screen w/o picking the mouse up, and being able to reliably click the smallest unit anywhere on the screen within (preferably) a third of a second