PDA

View Full Version : Player Rating System

Sentura
05-01-2010, 03:03 PM
so i was playing with some random people the other day, and it struck me that sometimes the banlist just isn't enough. most of the time it isn't.

so it got me thinking that you could make a system to rate each player on your team after a match, e.g. from 1 to 5 (stars/hearts/*), and the average rating on the player would stick with his account.

this could prevent people from joining certain games, where you would be able to put it as a prerequisite for joining the game (i.e., minimum 3 hearts to join). you would probably have to accumulate a certain point in ratings before they are made official to your stats, due to nature of high fluctuations in lower number of ratings (say, official after 50 or 100 ratings).

the drawback would of course be that not everyone is honest, and a disgruntled team member could likely give everyone else some bad rating after a match. but this can be rebuted with two things:

a) people are usually honest, and will reward good behavior with good marks (everyone loves to be the judge!)

b) the number of ratings will over time turn into a largely static rating. at that point extreme ratings (such as 1 or 5) would give little in the way of motion either way. in the end you'd be responsible for the cementing of your own reputation.

priming
05-01-2010, 04:54 PM
No

a) people arent honest (for an in-game example see any of the many posts about kicks for no reason)
b) people dont give standardized ratings (ie, somoene with a bad rating is more likely to be treated harsher)
c) a bad rating would be a de facto perma ban

A reporting system would be better.
a) by using an appeal system, it is certain the offence occurred
b) everyone would be treated the same
c) punishment that fits the crime

If the community maintained the system (and punished those who abused it) then it would be pretty simple to maintain.

Sentura
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
a bad rating would most likely be banned a lot, but then you'd have a good reason to have such a low rating.

you can't compare kicks and ratings like that. while kicks serve as acute response to a problem, this is not such a response. rather, this is the reflection of the match itself. in being that, people are much more honest than you'd think.

priming
05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
kicks for no reason => lets kick the player for lolz

Sentura
05-01-2010, 05:48 PM
like i said, it's not comparable with kicks.