PDA

View Full Version : Getting better at the Game

hajile231
04-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Hello all I have played HoN for a while now and I have been practicing and getting a bit better. But How do I really get better?

I see people in 1800 who can carry a game in 1600 by themselves, its really astounding then I see look at myself and say "Wow I suck". I also people who have lots of accounts who can get to 1700 with ease. Maybe its because I'm still a noob or maybe I'm just afraid to play in 1600 games for fear that my teammates will not do a good job or I'm the one being the problem.

Now I really want to ask, To get better must I practice 1 hero until im better at him or master like 2-3 heroes. Cause tbh I'm not sure what hero I'm good with.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my bad English I really don't know how to make the words in my head into proper sentences. :p

DemoniWaari
04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
It's good to start with maybe couple heroes, to the point you know every hero and what they can do. At that point you can change your heroes and start playing different styles, just stay away from carry heroes if you can't farm properly :P.

Eventually you'll get better, but it can take a long time, you just need to play play play and play some more!

hajile231
04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
It's good to start with maybe couple heroes, to the point you know every hero and what they can do. At that point you can change your heroes and start playing different styles, just stay away from carry heroes if you can't farm properly :P.

Eventually you'll get better, but it can take a long time, you just need to play play play and play some more!

I know the most of the Heroes and how they work and I know a bit of heroes but specifically I enjoy gankers like: :phar::pebb: also i enjoy this guy: :corr: ,the only hero i find hard is :souls:

Yoda``
04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Play every hero, its the best way to get better overall.

Pallardin
04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I can't really give advice persay, but since people have been playing this type of game since the original DotA came out, it makes sense that some people are just going to have more experience than you. Everyone gets better with time, even people that are already good, and there's rarely a shortcut that'll let you easily catch up to people that have a four-year head start.

summ1else
04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
To be adequate at the 1500 level. Learn 1-2 heroes well. To be adequate at the 1600-1700 level. Learn all heroes well. To be adequate above 1700, learn all heroes well and 1-2 heroes damn well. The cream of the crop know all heroes really well and are damn good with 5-10 heroes. A few exceptions withstanding.

jay`t
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Hello all I have played HoN for a while now and I have been practicing and getting a bit better. But How do I really get better?

I see people in 1800 who can carry a game in 1600 by themselves, its really astounding then I see look at myself and say "Wow I suck". I also people who have lots of accounts who can get to 1700 with ease.

See you've answered your own question here, in a round about way. You're aware that 1800s are leagues beyond 1600s, and you are probably aware that 1600s are leagues beyond 1400s. (in truth, 1800s are leagues beyond 1700s)

Getting above 1500 and to 1600 is a matter of learning your hero, learning the major major things about other heroes, and reducing huge huge errors and getting a weak grasp on itemizations. You're aware that tempest's ult can genocide your team, but maybe not how to counter it every time. You know big major game changing effects like these, and might know how to deal with them. The big thing, though, is reducing your own huge mistakes.

Getting from high 1500s to high 1600s is a bit tougher. This is where most core gameplay elements are tested. Your average 1650 player knows what all heroes are capable of (might not know specifics, but definitely knows what to watch out for) and has a much more solid grasp on their hero - they won't make as many big mistakes as lower people will. The big thing though, is that the high 1600 player will punish others for their big mistakes. This is the core difference between 1500 and 1650+ people - they react much better to others screw ups, and make less screw ups overall.

People that are solidly mid 1700 (aka not pubstomping all day and not playing EM) are much stronger in positioning and map control. Laning against these people is challenging because they're warding/counterwarding, using fog well, and have probably picked strong lanes.

Above this (and above me of course) the picking and map control is far stronger. As you get higher, smaller and smaller mistakes get punished. The other day, against high 1800 players, I was punished my a three man gank in our woods before the game even began. I wasn't doing anything majorly wrong -> just trying to get a ward set up. Needless to say, that didn't go so well.

This is why carrying games of lower skill is easy. As a 1500 player, you're not going to worry about fog subleties or counterwarding or stacking cmaps for your carry. You have your plate full with simply controlling your hero and making sure you don't walk into hammerstorm's loving arms and die instantly.

The game has a lot of depth to it. Being 'sucky' is a huge part of the game, and frankly, unless you're competing at the 1800+ level where the honcasted teams are, you've got a long long way to go. (and it is argued that these teams are weaker than their DOTA counterparts, but that is another subject altogether.)

XMbIPb
04-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Check this page: http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/player_stats.php?aid=318298

There you will see what heroes you are good at. Try playing them more. You can not master all the heroes, that is why try to find strategies with few of them, with which you will own.

E.g. I am an average 1700+ player when playing ar with my main account, but when I play pick games with http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/player_stats.php?aid=1444666 this account(where I mainly play 2 heroes only) I am a much better player and will probably become 1800+ very soon.

hajile231
04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.:D

Artemiye
04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.:D

What I suggest to newer players (or hell, anyone who needs last hitting practice) is playing a practice game, picking a hero with really low base damage, and then telling them to get 80 creep kills and 80 denies in 10 minutes. There isn't any lane resistance, but you still have to focus and time your last hits to even get close to a perfect creep score.

If you pick a melee hero, practice your timing - you move in, last hit, then move back (you can't just sit by the creep and last hit as needed, since when game time comes, you'll just constantly get harassed). If you're ranged, practice last hitting from as far as possible so it's even harder. It's extremely important that you have a half decent creep score by the time your towers start going down - the laning phase is very important. At any time there's an open lane (AKA a lane with 0 resistance), you should take that opportunity to rice it up.

Fornozo
04-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Okay, I'm not by any means saying I'm good. Just so you know.

But if you want to improve to become effective in 1600+ game I'd suggest these:
:plag: Obvoius reasons, ult can destroy 2-3 people if it bouces well. He babysits very good. Never runs out of mana and needs to build items to become effective late game.

:arma: One of the biggest "tanks" in game. Easy to harras with and doesn't die alot if you played him a bit. Build him tanky and he's a hell of a challenge to kill.

:soulr: This guy. Aura for early harras which scales into late game. Heal which makes him kind of a semi babysitter. A spell which gives him mana back if he kills creeps/heroes. And a ult which insta kills someone with 40% HP at lv 16.

if you want to play a kinda of carry I'd recommend :moon: since she has 1 nuke and one heavy dmg ult. Tho she's kinda of squishy so you'll have to build her right and not die to much in the start to become effective.

My 2 cents. Hope they helped :)

EDIT: I think I played with you btw. You where playing accursed in a MM game, not flawless but not terrible either :)

Pwnograhpy
04-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Understand all heroes and be badass at a few imo, a tank, carry, ganker, support and initiater is good.