PDA

View Full Version : How do you avoid gold lost? + rant

iVhae
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Account is just a few weeks old but I've played competitive DOTA for 2 years then casual DOTA for 4 years, and now I'm a total scrub. I love playing support/disable heroes which specializes on early/mid game ganking and I just let someone on the team do the carrying. But I hate laning with the carry as I always give him all the creeps, almost always give him the kills all the while I supply wards, etc. With my poor gold / min , how am I supposed to farm for the higher tier items? And during ganks, I almost always die. I'm playing Elec(an elec that dies? OMG NOOB), Andromeda, Glacius. Then Pupp, Pestilence, anything that comes to mind when I play alone

ElementUser
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Play semi-carries more than supports then :D.

A good lane-mate carry will show it if they can outlast-hit you as support (they're supposed to anyway if they have a Hatchet; if not they're not good carries). If this is true, you should continue to give your carry lane-mate the creep kills while you deny & harass.

Learn to farm with support heroes I guess - you can do this if there's a free lane or nothing interesting is happening at the given moment.

Also, watch positioning with support heroes. Sometimes you can't help it even if you're in a good position though - teammates will be in bad position a lot of the time.

coolmans
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
dammit element is always first. also in mechanics.

DemoniWaari
04-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I demand Element-nerf.

On topic though, you can try playing support that have decent farming potential, or just play semi-carries. Good support / gankers that have farming ability are demented, nymph, pyro, BS (moderate), polly etc.
You can try playing good pushers too, they mostly have good farming abilities. Like defiler, polly, engineer (though this can be debatable) and slither.

Sinz3r
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
With my poor gold / min , how am I supposed to farm for the higher tier items?

You are not supposed to :)

It depends on the game really.

You could look at playing a hero like Puppet Master, where you have the support CC skills as well as being able to carry.

Other than that simply play support correctly. By the way, if you are pubbing then a support can easily carry a bunch of randoms on a pub. You have to watch your lanemate, no point letting them get everything, if they are auto attacking or buying stupid items.

However, normally support is doing well when you can get some boots, a power supply and your luxury Nomes or Astrolabe.

Neru
04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Keep a watch on your gold and try to buy items as you get enough for them (always have enough for a Homecoming stone as well) this way if you die you'll lose minimum gold and already have an item.

Porpoise_God
04-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Keep a watch on your gold and try to buy items as you get enough for them (always have enough for a Homecoming stone as well) this way if you die you'll lose minimum gold and already have an item.

This pretty much. Memorize the key combos for commonly bought items (b-e-a for boots, b-r-d for TPs (usually b-u-t as well)). If it's pretty obvious you're dying regardless you can sometimes buy before you die while trying to run.

Among other reasons to like DSham/Nymph, no one complains if you drop the healnuke on a creep wave while you push. Boom, there's your next set of wards right there.

They will complain, and rightly so if the carry was trying to farm that lane though.

Honestly though, support items are in nice small chunks until you start wanting Kuldra. Acolyte's Staff is a ***** to farm on a support.

04-27-2010, 04:09 AM
Your gold will mostly come from the clock ticks and towers. Some gold here and there from creeping, but not much.

The key thing is to STAY ALIVE. Do NOT get ganked. Be VERY careful. Your worst enemy as a support is death. You already gain minimal gold and dying a lot is not helping.