PDA

View Full Version : Problem for people who play support heroes often

VoodooCowboy
04-22-2010, 02:11 AM
My favorite heroes to play are support (read healer) heroes.
:accu::deme::nymp::vood:, are all my favorite, or were on my old account.

The problem that I had was a piss poor KDR. Now, as most sensible players know, KD is not whats important, its your PSR.

But for low PSR heroes like me, and anyone who plays in Pub games, your PSR can be seriously messed up cause inevitably there will be mega retards on your team. The result is no increase in PSR and no increase in KD.

Now. I dont know what the solution is, but some things I would like to include would be a visible stat showing how much a player heals in an average game. For people playing tanks like :arma:, perhaps there should be a stat showing how much damage they take in an average game.

Another solution (which is pretty much a whole new suggestion) would be to have a scroll over stat for each account which states what type of hero they play most. So for example, someone who plays :dark::chro::corr: all the time, they would have "CARRY" tagged on to their profile. For someone who played :blac::pyro::thun: most often would have "NUKER" tagged to their profile, and so on and so forth.

Perhaps I am speaking out of my arse, but anyway, I really think this could help define each account.

pandasgotgun
04-22-2010, 02:26 AM
technically the current stats do tell this just without a title. it shows the statistical numbers for most played heros by that player. if those are carrys you know they probably play carries alot if they are supports you know they probably play supports alot same for nukers. though that doesnt necessarily mean those are the roles they always play with those characters it usually is the case.

yeknomlive
04-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I consistently play games with the 'support' heroes you have mentioned and end up carrying my team. All of the heroes have mechanisms for last hitting, and a very large part of farming is learning how to last hit. Always play to be the strongest hero in the match, whether you're playing a deemed 'support' hero or a nuker and carry. If you don't, you're useless in the endgame when your 180 heal (which can also deal a whopping 900 damage if cast correctly) or your 360 heal (which deals 360 true damage) aren't so beneficial to your teammates.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be condescending, but with mastery of those heroes comes positive K/D ratios. Playing a 'support' hero just takes a different type of skill. You can multi-task aiding your teammates and destroying your enemies, it just takes practice.

apot
04-22-2010, 03:44 AM
I consistently play games with the 'support' heroes you have mentioned and end up carrying my team. All of the heroes have mechanisms for last hitting, and a very large part of farming is learning how to last hit. Always play to be the strongest hero in the match, whether you're playing a deemed 'support' hero or a nuker and carry. If you don't, you're useless in the endgame when your 180 heal (which can also deal a whopping 900 damage if cast correctly) or your 360 heal (which deals 360 true damage) aren't so beneficial to your teammates.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be condescending, but with mastery of those heroes comes positive K/D ratios. Playing a 'support' hero just takes a different type of skill. You can multi-task aiding your teammates and destroying your enemies, it just takes practice.
except as a support you shouldn't be lasthitting much, if at all

that combined with the fact that you buy wards all game long and you don't have money for beefy lategame items

because of this, you generally rely on your carry not being bad, so on occasion you get screwed over in pubs

i think the best solution would be to implement the empty "wards placed" stat

Zakharov
04-22-2010, 07:50 AM
There's a simple solution. Ignore your KDR, ignore your Creep Kills, ignore everything except winning at all costs. If you've got a good player on your team (even in low-rated games, you're likely to get someone), dedicate yourself to making sure they win the game for you. Eventually, you'll get your PSR up, and people won't care about your KD anymore.

As for the suggestions you mentioned:
Average heals per game: Not very useful, as it's much more dependent on hero preferences and game length than player skill. A terrible Jereziah can get a ton of healing in a long game, a great Slither can support ten times better without a single point of healing.
Role tags: I think the "most played heroes" list does this a lot better. It's far more accurate when someone doesn't stick to the same role most games.
Wards Placed: This would be reasonably useful, but can easily be gamed by buying and placing a bunch of useless wards at the end of the game.

WhoooWhooo
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
lol

:vood: : f*****g great ganker

:accu: : best early KSer

Sabre070
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Now, as most sensible players know, KD is not whats important, its your PSR.

Well.. So far this fails.

But I don't like your idea anyway, many people don't play a single role and heroes can fit into multiple roles. I think the most played heroes fill this role anyway.

epibug
04-22-2010, 08:16 AM
There's a simple solution. Ignore your KDR, ignore your Creep Kills, ignore everything except winning at all costs. If you've got a good player on your team (even in low-rated games, you're likely to get someone), dedicate yourself to making sure they win the game for you. Eventually, you'll get your PSR up, and people won't care about your KD anymore.

This!